Can't make up my mind on a Zuiderdam aft cabin deck level!

Hi! We're currently booked for the Panama Canal Sunfarer cruise for this fall in aft cabin 6173 (not a wrap). I'm debating changing to deck 4, aft cabin as well, only because the balcony looks bigger since we spend a lot of time out there. I've read that the balconies on 4 don't have very much cover, but it doesn't look like the ones on 6 have much cover either. We're not worried about this as we do not mind the sun at all since we're from south Florida and quite use to it! We're definitely not interested in the cabins on 5 since they have almost total coverage. Aft cabins on 7 are already sold out.

Anyone have any info on comparing an aft cabin on 4 or 6? Is the coverage similar? Are the balconies on 4 bigger...or is it my imagination? Is either one better for going through partial panama canal?

Thank you for any assistance! I keep going back and forth, and looking at cabin pictures! ;p;p

The balcony on Deck 4 is longer. But it's mostly uncovered. My parents had a Deck 4 Aft Balcony (4179) on the Zuiderdam and their balcony was nearly unusable because it was always covered with soot and ash from the smokestacks. They'll never have an aft balcony again.

I don't know if the balconies on Deck 6 are more covered, but Deck 4 is a complete waste if you want to be out on your balcony. My parents were kind of glad that the weather and rough seas made using the balcony nearly impossible because it really was with all the ash & soot. If they had to have an unusable balcony, it was good it was on a cruise when the sea conditions made the balcony unusable anyway.

Edited to add: For going through the Panama Canal, I cannot recommend having a cabin on Deck 1 enough. I did a partial transit and for going into the Canal, I was up and out on deck early and watched the ship going through the locks from the forward deck. But on the return trip back through the locks, I was in my cabin on Deck 1. The view of the walls as the ship goes through the locks is amazing! It was truly a fantastic experience. The ship wasn't centered in the lock well enough and scraped the side of the lock, leaving a long streak of the dark blue paint. It was something you could only see, and an experience you could only have from the low-down ocean-view cabins. The balcony cabins are nice, but don't discount getting a great and unique experience from the ocean-view cabins either.

Thank you for your insight! We've had aft cabins before but only had one with an issue with ash and soot, and only for a few days. It surprises me that a cabin down on level 4 would have get ash. I guess that's something to think about too.

I would favor deck 4 aft cabins for the Canal - you get very close to the locks when they are closing. We were on deck 5, which was fine for the complete shade, but we were set back a bit (not ALOT) from the end of the ship. As I recall, deck 6 was right above ours, so same set back.

Judging by the shadows on the partitions, it looks to me like the covered part is about equal on decks 4,6,7, and 8, but you get more uncovered on 4. My guess is that deck 6 would likely get less soot/ash than 4 just because it is less exposed.

2e2ikif.jpg

Edited by catl331

I would favor deck 4 aft cabins for the Canal - you get very close to the locks when they are closing. We were on deck 5, which was fine for the complete shade, but we were set back a bit (not ALOT) from the end of the ship. As I recall, deck 6 was right above ours, so same set back.

I have read the lower you are going through the locks the better the experience! Thanks!

Judging by the shadows on the partitions, it looks to me like the covered part is about equal on decks 4,6,7, and 8, but you get more uncovered on 4. My guess is that deck 6 would likely get less soot/ash than 4 just because it is less exposed.

Thanks for that picture! That helped see some of the differences between levels. I was thinking of moving down to level 4 because the balcony is larger and also closer to the locks in the canal, but now I'm a little worried about the soot/ash since we do spend a lot of time on the balcony. Arrghh decisions, decisions!!

I had an aft on 4 on Zuiderdam and loved it. I never had any ash or soot. Maybe the attendants just cleaned it up well.

Going through the canal that deck was amazing.

Thank you for your view on this. Was there enough covering on 4 in case you wanted to get out of the sun? I think I'm leaning towards the aft of 4.

• 3 months later...
The balcony on Deck 4 is longer. But it's mostly uncovered. My parents had a Deck 4 Aft Balcony (4179) on the Zuiderdam and their balcony was nearly unusable because it was always covered with soot and ash from the smokestacks. They'll never have an aft balcony again.

I don't know if the balconies on Deck 6 are more covered, but Deck 4 is a complete waste if you want to be out on your balcony. My parents were kind of glad that the weather and rough seas made using the balcony nearly impossible because it really was with all the ash & soot. If they had to have an unusable balcony, it was good it was on a cruise when the sea conditions made the balcony unusable anyway.

Edited to add: For going through the Panama Canal, I cannot recommend having a cabin on Deck 1 enough. I did a partial transit and for going into the Canal, I was up and out on deck early and watched the ship going through the locks from the forward deck. But on the return trip back through the locks, I was in my cabin on Deck 1. The view of the walls as the ship goes through the locks is amazing! It was truly a fantastic experience. The ship wasn't centered in the lock well enough and scraped the side of the lock, leaving a long streak of the dark blue paint. It was something you could only see, and an experience you could only have from the low-down ocean-view cabins. The balcony cabins are nice, but don't discount getting a great and unique experience from the ocean-view cabins either.

I am about to book this cruise. My room is C1045. Did you have any noise problems from the club on Deck 2....BB King's Blues Club. I am very apprehensive about this being right above me? Also, I'm somewhat sensitive to noise. Appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

I am about to book this cruise. My room is C1045. Did you have any noise problems from the club on Deck 2....BB King's Blues Club. I am very apprehensive about this being right above me? Also, I'm somewhat sensitive to noise. Appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

I really can't say about the BB King's noise. I was in Cabin 1002. I can say I could occasionally hear the elevator dings, but not often. And I could occasionally feel some bass from the show lounge, but not often. My brother was in Cabin 1001 and couldn't hear any noise except when his door was open. (He said it was much better than the cabin he had on the last cruise, which in a weird quirk transmitted a high-pitched squeal whenever the sliding dome over the Lido Pool was opened or closed, but that was on the Ryndam, so no worries at all for you.)

But the BB King's lounge is on the other side of the ship. Any noise in Cabin 1045 would come from the Billboard Onboard Lounge, which is the Dueling Pianos area. That was a very popular venue on my cruise, which was a JazzDagen cruise, so the music venues may have been used differently than on other cruises.

I wouldn't worry too much about noise in Cabin 1045 though. I think you'll be fine.

We were aft 4 going through the canal and it was magnificent. There is about as much overhang on 4 as any of the other decks, except 5. The difference is you have more space outward from the covered part. We loved 4 aft and would do it again. I never had soot or ash, or the vibration others report. It was a great location.

• 2 weeks later...
We were aft 4 going through the canal and it was magnificent. There is about as much overhang on 4 as any of the other decks, except 5. The difference is you have more space outward from the covered part. We loved 4 aft and would do it again. I never had soot or ash, or the vibration others report. It was a great location.

Thank you so much! :D:D:D