Xpedition type adventure, not only to fabulous Galapagos, but where else?

norwegianwood57

Our Galapagos adventure was the best experience we have had on any of our travels.

There are so many other destinations that could be used for similar experiences, nature, experts, participation?

Would love to see Celebrity branch out more into ecotourism.

Any other thoughts out there?

When they introduced the Xpedition, it was to be the first of a number of specialty cruise/land offerings. That thought/mission just quietly died with no follow on. I guess Celebrity is sort of trying to introduce some adventure/unusual trips with tours in africa prior to a cruise and other options that I seem to recall seeing....at prices that seemed unreal to me...and why would you want a cruise company organizing an expensive safari??

Celebrity started Antarctic cruises the same year as Galapagos using the Kapitan Khlebnikov, which I think Quark is now using. I think 2004ish? It was indeed supposed to be the beginning of an expedition branch of the cruise line, but I think they only did one or two seasons to Antarctica. Pretty soon after that Azamara cranked up, and the talk was (at least around here) that Xpedition would fold into that but it didn't happen.

Took a look at it. Very expensive, sounds wonderful.

Celebrity took such amazing care of us, that it is difficult to try something else. We had people who were very overweight, people who had all kinds of issues with mobility and yet the staff was able to accommodate everyone. No matter how old, no matter how unsteady.

Celebrity should look at Costa Rica for a similar adventure. The Arctic and Antarctic may only appeal to a select few, but a tropical paradise like Costa Rica may be just the place, with plenty of coast to explore as well as inland.

You might want to look at Lindblad/National Geographic. Expedition-type voyages are their whole deal.

Indeed. My spouse and I were privileged to be able to travel with Lindblad/Nat Geo to Antarctica three years ago. I know that "trip of a lifetime" is a cliche, but that's what this was. I can't say enough good things about it.

My detailed photo journal of our trip is here, in case anyone is interested:

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/

One of my favorite photos:

Gentoosgreettheship1024x768_zps7fc3fea1.jpg

(photo by turtles06)