Zuiderdam Panama Canal Excursion Question

CM1984

I'm getting close to booking our Partial Transit Panama Canal cruise, and whereas I have learned a lot on the Panama Canal Board, I need to ask a Z Excursion question here?

We had hoped to get into the Canal, then get an excursion that would take us through the majority of the Pacific side older locks. I am not seeing that when I look at this trip on HAL? There is a rainforest excursion, and you can see some of the new locks, but not through the older? Does anyone have any insight, or has anyone been on any Canal excursions on the Zuiderdam? Thank you in Advance.

Mimi

I'm getting close to booking our Partial Transit Panama Canal cruise, and whereas I have learned a lot on the Panama Canal Board, I need to ask a Z Excursion question here?

We had hoped to get into the Canal, then get an excursion that would take us through the majority of the Pacific side older locks. I am not seeing that when I look at this trip on HAL? There is a rainforest excursion, and you can see some of the new locks, but not through the older? Does anyone have any insight, or has anyone been on any Canal excursions on the Zuiderdam? Thank you in Advance.

Mimi

We did a partial transit on the Z five years ago. I ***think*** at that time there was maybe one excursion that took you by train(?) to see the Pacific-side locks. Hopefully something will come up for you! We took an excursion that got us off the ship, showed us the Atlantic-side locks in closer detail and did a little scenic rainforest sightseeing of the area. Then we rode the bus to Colon and waited for the ship there.

If you do exit the ship and then meet up with the ship in Colon, take along some money and ID, etc., as we were dumped off the bus and left to our own devices for a couple of hours. Don't know if it was just our voyage, but it took a decent amount of time for the ship to arrive in Colon. The area we were left in was nice, with shops and cafes, but there wasn't a lot of seating or places to just wait. There may have been a medical issue on board and that's why they were late, but I never really got the full story. We had enough cash with us (stupidly, hadn't brought a credit card) that we could sit in a café and wait, but there were moments when we wondered if the ship had left us behind! ;p

Have a great trip! The full transit is fantastic, but even a partial transit is fascinating.

We did this cruise two years ago and it was offered. However, some people we talked to onboard did this excursion (took a small boat the rest of the way to the other side and then a train (or was it bus?) ride back to meet the ship. While they liked it, they were really wore out from the heat and length of trip.

How far out are you from your cruise? Shore excursions may not be posted as of yet.

I'm glad you posted this, I called HAL and talked to the Shore Excursion Rep, she sent me the current EXC Tours Brochure for the 11/25/2018 Sailing. And the one I want is right there. Hooray!

And I keep reading it will be very hot and humid, and maybe rain, but it will be the one time in our lives we will have this opportunity! We are going for it! Memories will be made! Thank you.

I have done a full transit of the Canal (1985 Sitmar Fairsea) and three partial transits (Zuiderdam 2009 and January 2018) and Princess (Coral? Emerald? 2012).

It never gets old. Except for the trip this past January where it poured rain the day of the Canal transit, it has been sunny, hot and humid.

Mimi

Several years ago we did the partial transit and then took the excursion you are asking about. We completed the transit on a smaller vessel ... it held about 300 people. It was a LONG day and it was HOT and HUMID. But, I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. We were able to touch the walls of the canal ... and had great pictures taken with the locks looming behind us. I highly recommend this excursion ... as long as you take a hat and maybe even a fan!

Several years ago we did the partial transit and then took the excursion you are asking about. We completed the transit on a smaller vessel ... it held about 300 people. It was a LONG day and it was HOT and HUMID. But, I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. We were able to touch the walls of the canal ... and had great pictures taken with the locks looming behind us. I highly recommend this excursion ... as long as you take a hat and maybe even a fan!

ithaca gal, and others with encouragement - you are wonderful! Yes, I read everywhere it can be hot, and humid, and slow and tiring. One day out of our entire life! Yes Yes Yes:cool:

Thanks Friends,

Mimi

Edited by CM1984
Spelling!

We did the excursion you're asking about this past March on Zuiderdam. We are glad we did it, though it was tiring. We really felt that we had seen the canal. Even though we are critical of how the whole experience was managed, it was worth doing. The boat on which we traveled was old and shabby, the lunch was almost inedible, we arrived back at the ship quite late and almost missed dinner, and yes, it was pretty warm and humid -- but we saw what we came to see.

I did a partial transit on the Coral Princess back in 2012, and booked the excursion you're referring to. I and the rest of the ship were up between 5-5:30 am as instructed, and guess what? There was a massive electrical storm, torrential rain, and flash flooding. The shorex guides were all holed up in a hotel in Colon. No one did a shorex that day, but I still got to go thru the first set of locks and into Gatun Lake and then back out.

Enter Plan B. I'm looking at booking a full transit in early 2020. I'm determined to make it through the entire length of the Canal, but don't want to take my chances with booking another partial.

Roz

The Panama Canal full transit was one cruise where I really made use of my "cooling neck scarf". You can find them on line, and they are wonderful. Actually, I put mine in a plastic ziplock bag with some ice, and then when I am feeling desperate from the heat, I bring it out and tie it around my neck and it's like stepping into a refrigerator! Just lovely.:)

I did a partial transit on the Coral Princess back in 2012, and booked the excursion you're referring to. I and the rest of the ship were up between 5-5:30 am as instructed, and guess what? There was a massive electrical storm, torrential rain, and flash flooding. The shorex guides were all holed up in a hotel in Colon. No one did a shorex that day, but I still got to go thru the first set of locks and into Gatun Lake and then back out.

Enter Plan B. I'm looking at booking a full transit in early 2020. I'm determined to make it through the entire length of the Canal, but don't want to take my chances with booking another partial.

Roz

We are going in Jan. for a full transit on the Amsterdam for 15 days. Move your trip up one year!

• 2 weeks later...
The Panama Canal full transit was one cruise where I really made use of my "cooling neck scarf". You can find them on line, and they are wonderful. Actually, I put mine in a plastic ziplock bag with some ice, and then when I am feeling desperate from the heat, I bring it out and tie it around my neck and it's like stepping into a refrigerator! Just lovely.:)

Ann, we have 2 of those scarves and not even used them yet. Thank you! They will be one of the first things packed; now I just have to find them! ;)

• 1 month later...

I am just now looking at this coming January for the partial. Taking along my sis and BIL, who are high-desert dwellers. She has a medical condition that responds poorly to hot humidity... I will save your description and let her make her own decision. Late January to early March is supposed to be the least humid time down there...

I am just now looking at this coming January for the partial. Taking along my sis and BIL, who are high-desert dwellers. She has a medical condition that responds poorly to hot humidity... I will save your description and let her make her own decision. Late January to early March is supposed to be the least humid time down there...

Given that daily temperatures will probably be in the eighties and nineties and the humidity between 60 - 80% in January - March, it will still be uncomfortably hot and humid for many people. For those from the high desert, it will be unbearable.

Given that daily temperatures will probably be in the eighties and nineties and the humidity between 60 - 80% in January - March, it will still be uncomfortably hot and humid for many people. For those from the high desert, it will be unbearable.

I can’t agree more, I’ve done this cruise 3 times, 2011, 2012, 2013. Great cruise, the full transit excursion is on a smaller boat and sometimes put in a lock with a bigger boat or ship. This happened to us and the diesel exhaust from the other ship was nauseating, to say the least, combined that with high heat and humidity and the lack of fresh air, especially when you are in the lock and the water is low, makes for a rough trip. Am I glad I did it? yes, will I do it again, no.

We will be taking a full Panama Canal transit cruise, 15 days, this November on the Volendam. The price was about the same for the 10 day as it was for the 15 day, food for thought.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm glad you posted this, I called HAL and talked to the Shore Excursion Rep, she sent me the current EXC Tours Brochure for the 11/25/2018 Sailing. And the one I want is right there. Hooray!

And I keep reading it will be very hot and humid, and maybe rain, but it will be the one time in our lives we will have this opportunity! We are going for it! Memories will be made! Thank you.

We did this shore excursion in April of this year. On a bus, you tour Panama city and then go to a small museum where you can see the Mira Flores Locks which I think are the Pacific locks. There were no ships entering so we just looked at the locks. Then we took this very slow train back. If this is the one you are taking, my advice is to NOT take the train car that has windows above the car as you can see nothing up above and the sun is hot. Take the other train car. Then, a bus takes you back to the ship. By the time you arrive at the dock in Colon, the ship should be there. As you drive through Colon, you will realize that you cannot go into the town of Colon as it is unsafe. This is a longer shore excursion than we usually do, but it was our 3rd voyage in the canal so we wanted to get off the ship to see Panama.

We did this shore excursion in April of this year. On a bus, you tour Panama city and then go to a small museum where you can see the Mira Flores Locks which I think are the Pacific locks. There were no ships entering so we just looked at the locks. Then we took this very slow train back. If this is the one you are taking, my advice is to NOT take the train car that has windows above the car as you can see nothing up above and the sun is hot. Take the other train car. Then, a bus takes you back to the ship. By the time you arrive at the dock in Colon, the ship should be there. As you drive through Colon, you will realize that you cannot go into the town of Colon as it is unsafe. This is a longer shore excursion than we usually do, but it was our 3rd voyage in the canal so we wanted to get off the ship to see Panama.

Thank you Carol for the helpful information. We are actually taking the very long tour of getting off the ship on a boat, I guess, then going to land and hop on a bus, then ride for an hour, then hop off and hop on a ferry, then ride on the ferry through the Pacific side locks, end up in the Pacific. Then hop off the ferry, and get on another bus that takes us to Colon to meet the ship. I understand it is very hot and very humid, and we may have to sit on a still ferry for a while, to wait our turn to get through the locks. We will only have this one chance, and we are going to do it! Hope we can get seats either in the a/c or in the shade! Again, thanks.