Special concoction you've made with food available

crusinpsychRN

I just returned from the Paradise.

The first sea day offered the Caribbean themed lunch buffet.

I made a salad at the salad bar and then topped it with Jerk Chicken from the buffet. They also had plantains and vegetable fritters. This was one amazing salad !!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

I make my own salad dressing by putting oil in a small bowl then squeezing juice from a lemon wedge in it with a tiny bit of salt and pepper then stir it quick to emulsify it. I saw it on Food Network and have been doing it ever since!

Not 'gourmet' food at all ... but you can create a passable Improvised Chicken Parmesan pasta on almost any buffet. Top a serving of whatever pasta is available with a few breaded and fried chicken fingers or chicken nuggets ... top with whatever 'red sauce' (marinara, bolognese) is available ... sprinkle liberally with Parmesan if available or whatever cheese comes closest or you like best. It's not perfect, but will do if you are craving the dish ... or if you have grown tired of the normal offerings.

You can do a veggie version similar to eggplant parm if there is a vegetable you like ... just experiment :) Or make a sandwich of whatever your favorite roll (a hard sturdy one works best) ... topped with some pasta sauce, meatballs, chicken fingers, or other meat of your choice ... and cheese. Add veggies from the salad area if you wish.

• 3 weeks later...

My go to thing for breakfast is usually the same thing.

Bagel, cream cheese (both top and bottom when cut), ham slices (usually 2), tater tots to put on it. I make this sandwich and LOVE it. Sometimes I will get an omelette and add that to it if I'm really hungry.

Now I am SOOOOOOO wanting to eat this.

Since I don't eat red meat, there are two things I typically request:

1. Eggs Benedict without meat and sauce on the side

2. A turkey Rueben from the deli

Both are delicious and I have never had a problem ordering "off menu."

Do you know if they will make you a turkey reuben with coleslaw instead of sauerkraut? I live in NJ and we call it a jersey sloppy joe...soooo good!!!

Not 'gourmet' food at all ... but you can create a passable Improvised Chicken Parmesan pasta on almost any buffet. Top a serving of whatever pasta is available with a few breaded and fried chicken fingers or chicken nuggets ... top with whatever 'red sauce' (marinara, bolognese) is available ... sprinkle liberally with Parmesan if available or whatever cheese comes closest or you like best. It's not perfect, but will do if you are craving the dish ... or if you have grown tired of the normal offerings.

You can do a veggie version similar to eggplant parm if there is a vegetable you like ... just experiment :) Or make a sandwich of whatever your favorite roll (a hard sturdy one works best) ... topped with some pasta sauce, meatballs, chicken fingers, or other meat of your choice ... and cheese. Add veggies from the salad area if you wish.

The problem these days is finding chicken fingers. Than melting the cheese

• 4 weeks later...
I just returned from the Paradise.

The first sea day offered the Caribbean themed lunch buffet.

I made a salad at the salad bar and then topped it with Jerk Chicken from the buffet. They also had plantains and vegetable fritters. This was one amazing salad !!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

how was your cruise on the Paradise? I'm sailing on April 15th and am dying to hear good things!!!

When they have the sliced tomato and mozzarella with pesto on the buffet bar, I put some on a plate and take it over to the deli and ask them to put it on a ciabatta roll and make a panini out of it for me! Awesome caprese sandwich.

Also love to get fries and add nacho cheese and chili from the grill with a little mustard for chili/cheese fries.

My husband loves to get the potato shoe strings (from Guys) and adds grated cheddar cheese and bacon bits from the salad bar to them.

When they have the sliced tomato and mozzarella with pesto on the buffet bar, I put some on a plate and take it over to the deli and ask them to put it on a ciabatta roll and make a panini out of it for me! Awesome caprese sandwich.

Also love to get fries and add nacho cheese and chili from the grill with a little mustard for chili/cheese fries.

My husband loves to get the potato shoe strings (from Guys) and adds grated cheddar cheese and bacon bits from the salad bar to them.

Ooh, that sandwich sounds so good right about now! I'll definitely have to help myself to one in a couple of weeks! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Instead of milk, I put soft serve ice cream in my coffee. Also Bailey's on my Rice Crispies (snap, crackle, burp).

omg I'm reading all of these at work and just laughed out loud with this one!!! thanks for making my day!!!

I get the Chocolate Melting Cake with only the pineapple from the fruit plate, cut up, so I can dip it in the chocolate.. mmmm good stuff!!

A friend of mine said her son said to try the hot chocolate combined with the vanilla ice cream. I think I will try that on my next cruise!

• 4 months later...