How do you feel about the new change in RCI's tipping

knicksak2

How do you feel about the new automatic tipping for RCI  

702 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the new automatic tipping for RCI

• For it!!
    • Against it!!

We have been on 14 cruises and have always tipped the standard+. I believe tips do motivate service personnel to provide better service so I'm against the new plan. I know some people claim prepaying doesn't affect service but when it's across the board, it very well might.

I am all for it. In my culture tipping is less prevalent, more like leaving the change but often not tipping at all as our salary practices are very different. I travel often in the US and make sure that I tip correctly as I have mo problem adding my tip to the very low prices (about half what we would pay for a meal or drink in Australia). Many non-US posters seem to get offended when it is mentioned on the boards that some countries have different tipping cultures but it is a fact!

Having the tips included means that everyone pays the same basic tip and doesn't have to worry about it. For those who wish to give extra reward for particularly outstanding service there is always the option to add it (say on your bar or specialty restaurant bill) or give extra in cash. I don't see any downsides to this!

I have seen some posters mention that they don't want to tip in case the service is bad. My view on this has always been if the service is bad address it with the server or their supervisor. Failing to tip will not improve your experience, addressing the issue directly will.

We have been on 14 cruises and have always tipped the standard+. I believe tips do motivate service personnel to provide better service so I'm against the new plan. I know some people claim prepaying doesn't affect service but when it's across the board, it very well might.

I don't see the logic to this. The staff know that many people are open to additional gratuities. As such they are motivated to perform well in the hope of receiving extra. Additionally they want to be recognized for excellent service on your guest comment card which I believe impacts which duties they are assigned and how quickly they move up the ranks.

Of course there will sometimes be staff who are not very good or maybe not having a great day and service suffers. We encountered this once in a specialty restaurant and spoke to the Maitre D about it. We also did not leave any additional gratuity.

I'm not just picking on you as other have also said it, but yours was easiest to quote :)

Edited by BekkaW

Following an undercover report on U.K. tv. I said I will never pre pay the tips as the only one to benefit is the company. On the programme celebrity were shown to pay an 8 hundred dollar salary per month to a waiter but that was taken out of their pre paid tips and only guaranteed if the amount wasn't reached. So if you really want to support the staff allow them to get their salary then pay them their tips in hand.

I agree with this. I'm not strongly for either side, though I want them to get their money and this is the only sure way to make that happen. I am sceptical, however, that they will really get the amounts we're paying. Makes me a little nervous. These big companies are known for pulling quick ones.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

I too thought this was a good idea until on my last cruise in June 2012 I spoke to my cabin steward who informed me that the crew hated the system, as the company was using it to put more work on them. He also informed me that if he got 2 reports of less than excellent from passenger cabins that he looked after he lost his tips for that cruise. So needless to say I stopped my automatic tips and tipped in cash at the end of my cruise. If the tips are guaranteed to go to the crew then I don't mind paying up front, but if the cruise company are using it to get more work out of an already overworked crew member the I would refuse to use the prepay system.

I too thought this was a good idea until on my last cruise in June 2012 I spoke to my cabin steward who informed me that the crew hated the system, as the company was using it to put more work on them. He also informed me that if he got 2 reports of less than excellent from passenger cabins that he looked after he lost his tips for that cruise. So needless to say I stopped my automatic tips and tipped in cash at the end of my cruise. If the tips are guaranteed to go to the crew then I don't mind paying up front, but if the cruise company are using it to get more work out of an already overworked crew member the I would refuse to use the prepay system.

First, this new program hasn't even been instituted yet. Second, what exactly do you and your steward mean by "using it to put more work on them"? Your post doesn't make much sense. Prepay has been around for a while and most of us tip on top of it anyway.

Edited by BND

Exactly. This is what I am worried about.

Can we choose to not pay the automatic tips then, and just hand it to them personally? This would've never happened if people would just tip them appropriately.

As we have heard people supporting both sides of the argument i thought i would be interesting to see how we all really stand on the issue. I for one am for it because i think the people who end up stiffing the crew should be stopped.

I did enjoy handing my cash to them personally as i felt it was a better way of saying thank you but its not the end of the world.

Could somebody tell us the details of what this "new change in RCI's tipping" is? I see nothing on the RCI website about any changes.

UPDATE.... Never mind, I found the info in another thread....

Edited by edjny

Made me search - I had no idea our $11.65 in January was a "new way of tipping". So they just went up from $9.65, big deal, all prices go up, inflation never stops.

Nothing has changed in the way of tipping, only the amount. You still pre-pay for MTD, probably people underpay the most in that category, and a choice of cash or credit with traditional dining.

The change is only in numbers. Nothing new.

Edited by Dayenu

While I'm pleased that hard working crew members will be fairly compensated and not get stiffed by some passengers, the truth is it's NOT a "tip" if it's mandatory. It is a daily service charge.

A tip should always be voluntary and given for special service.

I'll withhold judgement for now on what effect this will have on the quality of service.

You DO realize the the company takes their share of the tips as well, right?

I don't mind the new system... we always tip--but at the end and in cash. I just hope that the crew gets the money. My husband's colleague's wife worked for RCI ,and she told him that the company takes part of the tips. She wasn't a crew member, she worked in the offices. So won't it just make it easier for the company to shave off some more cash for RCI? If someone can tell me for a fact that she is WRONG, then I'll feel better about prepaying tips...

:(

I asked a waiter on one of my RCI cruise if RCI took anything for 'handling' his gratuities.. he said 'no' they do not and that he prefers the idea because it goes directly into his account....

They do not specify if it will be like Princess where you have the option to remove them from your onboard account & pay them in cash if you so choose.

Someone posted that you can remove them if you want. The email I got didn't specify that, but I saw it somewhere on a thread about this since there about 5 going on right now.:rolleyes:

My husband and I have always tipped the full amount and then added some for the excellent service we have received. We have always allocated our on board credit for part of these tips as we don't spend a lot of money on board. The obc can't be used to cover the tips in advance of the cruise. For that reason, I will probably take the tips off (if that is possible) and then have them reinstated at the start of the cruise.