Help! Overnight in London then to port in AM or stay in Southampton the night before?

aimathy

Can you please offer any advice or suggestions?

We are a family of 5 (myself, my husband, DD - 18, DS - 14 and DD - 6) and will be leaving for a cruise from Southampton in July. We will arrive in London on Fri night (from Paris) and were planning to tour London on Saturday, stay the night and then get a private car to the port on Sunday morning. We were choosing to do this so we would have one full day to see London.

However, I usually like to stay near the port the night before, and now I'm second guessing our plan. One day in London won't let us see nearly enough, but at least it's a full day. If we leave Sat night to go to Southampton to sleep over, we will lose a good chunk of Saturday too. However, I'm not sure how stressed we will be making sure we get to the cruise port on time, if we're leaving all the way from London.

Which would you choose and why?

Would definitely stay in London. While I would be taking the train down the morning of the cruise, for 5 it's probably the same price or cheaper to hire private transport, unless you can get some cheap Megatrain tickets. But really, on a Sunday morning (I believe you are cruising on RCI on a Sunday?), there should be no traffic issues.

Can you please offer any advice or suggestions?

We are a family of 5 (myself, my husband, DD - 18, DS - 14 and DD - 6) and will be leaving for a cruise from Southampton in July. We will arrive in London on Fri night (from Paris) and were planning to tour London on Saturday, stay the night and then get a private car to the port on Sunday morning. We were choosing to do this so we would have one full day to see London.

However, I usually like to stay near the port the night before, and now I'm second guessing our plan. One day in London won't let us see nearly enough, but at least it's a full day. If we leave Sat night to go to Southampton to sleep over, we will lose a good chunk of Saturday too. However, I'm not sure how stressed we will be making sure we get to the cruise port on time, if we're leaving all the way from London.

Which would you choose and why?

I would definitely spend the day in London. At least do the Hop On Bus so everyone can at least see the highlights the city has to offer. We landed in London on a previous cruise, took a tour bus to Southampton around 9:30, stopped at Stonehenge for an hour and arrived at the ship in plenty of time to check in and get settled before the sail away. We did London on our return from the cruise, so didn't miss the opportunity to see the city.

Cole

I should be rooting for my home city of Southampton.

But with so little time in London you should try to spend as much time there as possible. Although admissions to most sights close about 5.30pm, the last ho-ho run completes around 7.30/8.00pm, plenty of places worthy of a walkabout & it doesn't get dark til gone 9pm.

And there's London's nightlife. Yes, Southampton has good restaurants & pubs & such - but you're unlikely to see much of them if you drive down on Saturday evening. A good walking tour of Southampton's few historic sights for the sunday morning if you're up to it - but it simply doesn't compare to London.

It's about 70 miles to Southampton, under two hours by car on a sunday. & most ships' registration closes somewhere around 2.30 to 3pm. With a tolerably sensible start time of about 9.30 to 10.30 you should be aboard for lunch.

Plenty of folk fly into London's airports same-day for a cruise, and few folk living in the London area would contemplate travelling down the day before.

And I'm guessing you might start your cruise with a relaxing sea-day

Pre-purchased Megatrain tickets for the Saturday are seriously cheap - like £6 per person. But they're sold only to persuade folk to travel at unpopular times, & on a Saturday the only London to Southampton train they're available for after 1.39pm is at 9.39pm - arrives Southampton 11.45pm.

No megatrain tix for sundays.

Regular fares for the frequent (2-3 per hour, I-2 per hour on sundays) trains are around £40 per adult/£20 child. Add taxi fares at one or both ends.

As Twickenham's post, a private door-to-ship transfer would be about the same money. Or you could travel down by private transfer via Stonehenge and/or Salisbury for a little more money - possibly less than the same by cruise bus as advertised on London Toolkit.

Or cheapest is to travel to Southampton by coach. About £7 per adult. Tolerably frequent, but best pre-booked. Book to Southampton coach station. The cruise ship terminal option doesn't apply to your ship.

Some useful websites:

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

http://eng.bigbustours.com/london/

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

(London Waterloo to Southampton central)

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

(London Victoria coach station to Southampton coach station)

http://www.smithsforairports.com

http://www.westquaycars.com

(important you tell them about your luggage)

http://www.londontoolkit.com/

(a mine of information about London & its infrastructure, transport etc. And a few pages about Southampton)

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_cruise_shuttles.htm

(cruise bus options - privately operated, not ship's buses)

JB :)

For sure stay in London. You have all day to get to South Hapmpton. DH and I have used the train. Very easy. A short ab ride from station right to the ship. BUT in your case with the group size, I'd go for a private car.

Mega train tickets were not available the day we needed them. I spent hours trying to preorder them, even communicating with the train reps. a couple times. For some reason the one weekday we needed it none ever came up for sale. No one could figure it out. So we paid full price. Which was still a good deal and convenient for the two of us.

Have a great time!

JB - If you should happen to see this, would you recommend the National Express bus from Victoria Station to Southampton? It's obviously much less expensive than the private car, but do you think that by the time we add in a cab to Victoria, then the bus ride, then a cab to the port....that it may just be enough of a hassle that it's easier to do the private car? Or do you think that despite the extra effort, it's not too bad?

I would definitely spend the day in London. At least do the Hop On Bus so everyone can at least see the highlights the city has to offer.

+1 on the advice to spend the day in London, but we part company on the HOHO bus. With one day in London, I wouldn't put a six-year old and a 14-year old on the full two hour loop to drive by the highlights of the city. I'd narrow the list of things to see/do and experience a more in-depth visit to fewer places.

I recommend you figure out your family's top three sites to visit. Without knowing more about your family's interests, I'd recommend the Tower of London, London Eye, Westminster Abbey (fascinating grave hunting), and possibly the Churchill War Rooms.

Map those sites and book a hotel closest to your highest priority destination. Start your day there and go between destinations by underground or walking. The underground will be its own London destination for the family; I'm certain your oldest and middle children will have fun being the family navigators in the station tunnels and reading the map. Perhaps end your day with tickets to a West End show. I'd especially recommend Matilda based on the book by Roald Dahl. The high energy musical numbers and the special effects will keep everyone engaged even after a day of active touring.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

JB - If you should happen to see this, would you recommend the National Express bus from Victoria Station to Southampton? It's obviously much less expensive than the private car, but do you think that by the time we add in a cab to Victoria, then the bus ride, then a cab to the port....that it may just be enough of a hassle that it's easier to do the private car? Or do you think that despite the extra effort, it's not too bad?

Depends to some extent on the location of your hotel, cos of any taxi fares to Victoria coach station.

Victoria is on the edge of central London, close to Buckingham Palace & a 20 min walk from Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Whitehall, River Thames cruises etc. It's on the main ho-ho routes (check the maps on those websites) & there are several tube stations.

Plenty of hotels in Victoria, mainly smaller independent hotels, & popular with visitors, including many CC members, because the hotels are more personal, they're a good compromise between cost & convenience, and Victoria has excellent train & coach links.

AS well as trains from London Waterloo, there are trains to Southampton from Victoria train station, but on sundays there's no direct service & fares are about £26. http://tickets.southernrailway.com/

Victoria coach station & Victoria train station are two different places, a few hundred yards apart.

A cab from Southampton coach station or train station to your ship is only about £5 to £6, but you'd almost certainly need two. Or with good rolling luggage you could walk from either station to the ship in about 15 minutes - but you might change your minds if it's wet ;).

So your total travel costs from hotel to ship could be as little as just those £5 or £7 pp coach fares (plus a £1 booking fee).

If budget is a major consideration, a hotel in Victoria and travel to Southampton by National Express coach is the way to go. Journey time about 2hrs 15. I'd go for the 09.30 at £5 or the 10.30 at £7. These are flexible fares & may go up before you get round to booking.

Luggage is limited. The allowance per person is 2 x 44lb cases plus hand luggage, you're OK if the total for your party is within limits.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/OurService/Luggage_policy.aspx?utm_source=Redirect&utm_medium=Marketing&utm_term=Emotional&utm_content=Product+Page&utm_campaign=SERVICE+Luggage+Policy

If you're planning to take more luggage than the free allowance, book the earlier coach - see those luggage terms.

I'll respectfully disagree with Pet Nit Noy about the ho-ho's in your circumstances - you get a very good overview, the sights come thick & fast, and frequency is every ten minutes or so. Both companies main routes go through Victoria, the commentary on Original's yellow route is live - the corny jokes & apparently off-the-cuff remarks are fun - at least for the first time :rolleyes: On other ho-hos it's recorded commentaries.

All the main sights can be seen very well from the ho-hos, with the exception of Buckingham Palace - buses aren't permitted past the front so folk get off at the stop around the corner, take a look, then catch the next one. Since a lot of folk get off there, it's a good place to board if your hotel is in Victoria - even let one bus go through to be near the front of the line for good seats on the next one.

Just MHO as always,

Edited by John Bull

If you want to see some of London and are worried about the stress of getting to the port the next day I would encourage you to simply take the ships transfer from London. We found the price comparable to private transfer and you will likely also unless there are several of you.

It's what we are doing after our 5 day stay there precruise. One leaves from Victoria Coach Station in our case, making it an easy start to the voyage IMO without 'stressing' over connections, taxis and such from London.

Enjoy your voyage.

If you want to see some of London and are worried about the stress of getting to the port the next day I would encourage you to simply take the ships transfer from London. We found the price comparable to private transfer and you will likely also unless there are several of you.

It's what we are doing after our 5 day stay there precruise. One leaves from Victoria Coach Station in our case, making it an easy start to the voyage IMO without 'stressing' over connections, taxis and such from London.

Enjoy your voyage.

For some couples, yes the ship's transfer from London to ship can be worth the cost for peace of mind, especially if their hotel is handy to Victoria coach station. Even though National Express coaches go from the same place at a fraction of the cost.

But the OP's party is five so the Nat Express coach trip will cost about £35 for all five, compared to over £200 on a Princess ship's coach and over £350 on an RCI ship's coach.:eek:

For some couples, yes the ship's transfer from London to ship can be worth the cost for peace of mind, especially if their hotel is handy to Victoria coach station. Even though National Express coaches go from the same place at a fraction of the cost.

But the OP's party is five so the Nat Express coach trip will cost about £35 for all five, compared to over £200 on a Princess ship's coach and over £350 on an RCI ship's coach.:eek:

We used National Express as our transportation last August and we were very pleased. We chose the route that stopped at Stonehenge for an hour, then to the ship. They took care of our bags when we got to the ship and they were delivered to our cabin promptly. I would highly recommend them.

Cole

We used National Express as our transportation last August and we were very pleased. We chose the route that stopped at Stonehenge for an hour, then to the ship. They took care of our bags when we got to the ship and they were delivered to our cabin promptly. I would highly recommend them.

Cole

Cole

To avoid confusion this isn't the National Express coach, which doesn't go to Stonehenge or to the ship - it's just a service from Victoria coach station to Southampton coach station.

I think the one you were on is the International Friends cruise-bus, the one advertised on London Toolkit, which picks up at London hotels & calls at Stonehenge on its way to the ship, at around £60 per person. And yes, it's a good service, but with 5 in the party the OP would find it expensive

Edited by John Bull

I'll respectfully disagree with Pet Nit Noy about the ho-ho's in your circumstances - you get a very good overview, the sights come thick & fast, and frequency is every ten minutes or so. Both companies main routes go through Victoria, the commentary on Original's yellow route is live - the corny jokes & apparently off-the-cuff remarks are fun - at least for the first time :rolleyes: On other ho-hos it's recorded commentaries.

All the main sights can be seen very well from the ho-hos, with the exception of Buckingham Palace - buses aren't permitted past the front so folk get off at the stop around the corner, take a look, then catch the next one. Since a lot of folk get off there, it's a good place to board if your hotel is in Victoria - even let one bus go through to be near the front of the line for good seats on the next one.

Just MHO as always,

No need to be humble about your opinion. It's highly valued on this board!

I'm clearly in the minority of posters on this board in my indifference to the value of the HOHO bus. From the very first trip my husband and I made as a couple, we operated with optimism -- that we'd return to the great destinations -- and that has shaped our touring style. We'd rather fully investigate fewer sites than take an overview approach.

We've been fortunate enough to travel that way. For example, the Churchill War rooms re-opened in 2005 after a major renovation, but it took us until our third London trip since 2005 for this destination to move from the wish list to the visited category. This year, we'll be focusing on France primarily after a too-long an absence, but we'll be scooting back to London for three days to visit two important-to-us places that we missed last year: Kensington Palace and some particular galleries at the V & A that were closed on the August Bank Holiday.

I have no doubt that the HOHO bus is a fun experience, even essential for folks with mobility issues. However, I still think the kids, in particular, will get the travel bug and have a stronger sense of place if they really engage with fewer places.

Definitely a case of "Your Mileage May Vary."

Thanks again for all the wonderful input.

We were planning on staying at a Premier Inn at Kings Cross, because we will be coming in from Paris to St. Pancras on Friday evening. We thought that being close to the hotel, especially at night after a long day, would be easier to get everyone there and in bed at a reasonable time for our sightseeing the next day. So basically, if we do the coach from Victoria on Sunday, we would either have to take a cab from the hotel to Victoria for the coach or we would have to stay at a different hotel closer to Victoria and then catch a cab from St. Pancras to Victoria area the night we arrive. It's probably about the same either way, correct?

The cost is not a huge consideration (at this point, with the expensive of this whole trip, it's not making-it-or-breaking-it) but obviously, there's still a nice chunk of change to be saved if we do the coach versus private transportation. I think (thanks to all the great input!) that I have a good idea of what each involves now, so I can at least make a good decision based on what we're willing to tolerate! :)

And thanks for the ideas for London as well. I was there a number of year ago, but my family has never been there. Normally, I am a traveler who likes to delve into a few smaller areas or things, and have never been a huge fan of whirlwind "see this! look at that! over there!" kind of tours. However, I've also learned that traveling with children (especially our 5 soon-to-be 6 year old now), that sometimes just seeing the significant landmarks with an overview is enough. Since we will only be there one day, and the kids are looking forward to seeing the big landmarks, I think we will most likely wind up doing a ho-ho or possibly, even a private tour. (And let's not kid ourselves....giving a tired 6 year old a break from walking now and then, is never a bad thing while sight seeing!) This will allow us to show them an overview....and hopefully ignite their travel bug so they will be excited to travel back there in the future!

After we return from the cruise, we will most likely take one of the tours going back to London before our overnight stay before our flight.

Thanks for all the help!! I appreciate it so much. :D

Edited by aimathy

To avoid confusion this isn't the National Express coach, which doesn't go to Stonehenge or to the ship - it's just a service from Victoria coach station to Southampton coach station.

I think the one you were on is the International Friends cruise-bus, the one advertised on London Toolkit, which picks up at London hotels & calls at Stonehenge on its way to the ship, at around £60 per person. And yes, it's a good service, but with 5 in the party the OP would find it expensive

Correct! Thanks for clearing that up. I would though recommend the International Friends cruise-bus.

Cole

I am of the other view. We arrived early am one day pre cruise and decided to go directly to Southampton. Stayed at the Premier Inn and walked the old town, had a great dinner at a local pub and had a no stress boarding the next day. We found Southampton very interesting and did not regret our decision. There is no way we could do London in a day and do it justice. That is for another holiday:)

I would definitely spend the day in London.

I'm clearly in the minority of posters on this board in my indifference to the value of the HOHO bus.

Originally posted by Christine Frances

I am of the other view. We arrived early am one day pre cruise and decided to go directly to Southampton.

All of which shows it's diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. :)

And given the different opinions and pros & cons the OP can decide what suits them best.

Re hotel in Kings Cross or Victoria.

I don't think it makes any difference in transfer costs unless it's late, late Friday night.

It's about 4 miles / 15 minutes by taxi, sorry don't know the cost. But getting off a train at St Pancras to go to Victoria you'll need a London cab - and you & your luggage may not fit in one, whereas your Kings x hotel might be able to book you a big enough private-hire car or van.

There is a direct tube line (Victoria line) but I don't know how easy the stations with luggage & kids - hopefully if they look in on this thread a Londoner like Globaliser can advise.

I rate Victoria more convenient for tourists because it's in walking distance of more sights & it's on the major ho-ho routes. Kings X is on a ho-ho feeder route with more limited frequency & you then need to switch buses.

And Victoria does seem a lot more popular with US cruisers than Kings X

But if you opt for a private transfer to Southampton, Victoria loses part of its appeal.

I don't know if there's any significant difference in hotel prices Kings X vs Victoria, something to check out.

Do check out latest check-in/out times for your short-listed hotels, the privately-run hotels in particular may not be sufficiently flexible.

You're looking for a hotel Friday night & Saturday night, so travelling down to Southampton on sat evening would mean double the unpacking etc.

But Southampton hotels are better value than London hotels.

Wherever you stay, and whenever and however you travel, there ain't no right & there ain't no wrong. You just have to use best judgement of what's best for you.

Edited by John Bull

• 1 month later...
I am of the other view. We arrived early am one day pre cruise and decided to go directly to Southampton. Stayed at the Premier Inn and walked the old town, had a great dinner at a local pub and had a no stress boarding the next day. We found Southampton very interesting and did not regret our decision. There is no way we could do London in a day and do it justice. That is for another holiday:)

Hi Christine Frances:

Looks like you did exactly what we will be doing in the fall. Would you mind letting me know what your travel arrangements to Southampton were? We are thinking of National Express on the morning of our arrival from Canada, and I am wondering about booking now, to ensure we have a ticket.

Sent from my iPad using Forums