US to Rome on Delta or Alitalia

S&B

We have two options going from Tampa - JFK - FCO on Delta which gets in at 10:40 a.m. or Alitalia which arrives at 8 a.m. They are the same price but we have never flown on Alitalia. They are a partner with Delta. I am presuming we will get the same amount of FF miles towards our flight. Can someone tell me about Alitalia? Both flights leave Tampa at the same time on Delta.

Thanks for any advice.

We have two options going from Tampa - JFK - FCO on Delta which gets in at 10:40 a.m. or Alitalia which arrives at 8 a.m. They are the same price but we have never flown on Alitalia. They are a partner with Delta. I am presuming we will get the same amount of FF miles towards our flight. Can someone tell me about Alitalia? Both flights leave Tampa at the same time on Delta.

Thanks for any advice.

A quick search on Kayak revealed that the Alitalia flights are operated by Delta. You didn't say what day you are flying but it is more than likely the case with all? You may want to check closer because if this is true you will be on Delta aircraft with a Delta crew.

Enjoy Rome!

Thanks for any advice.

Don't presume or assume that you will get the same ff miles. Some partner fare classes only earn 25% and there are additional restrictions regarding which flights are eligible. Check the delta website before you book if this is important.

Thanks for any advice.

First, what dates are you look at?

Second, I believe your flights go TPA-JFK-FCO, not nonstop, right?

Two of the flights are really on Alitalia - the 608/609 flights are Alitalia metal - I flew those this past April/May. Delta codeshares on them. Now, I flew in their Business class, (and absolutely loved it), so I can't comment on flying in coach.

Now, are you looking to book these on Delta's website or another website? That has a bearing on the FF points vs booking straight with Alitalia (or through a 3rd party) and applying your Delta FF number. If I remember correctly, if you are coded all DL flights, you will get the appropriate DL FF miles, even if on partner metal.

Thanks for your answers. The date is Sept. 10. We always book with Delta on line and always with our Ameri Ex card because we get one free luggage. The reason I might switch to the earlier flight (Alitalia) is because then we get a free shuttle to our hotel. (Holiday Inn Express with our points) The Delta flight we would only have one hour to get our luggage, go through customs and get to the shuttle bus.

Another question but maybe I should start a new post. The instructions about the shuttle bus says: "shuttle service is available to/from Metro Station EUR MAGLIANA, FCO parking lot No. 30". Maybe this is going to be confusing and we should just take a cab. Hopefully not over 40 eur. Thanks again.

OK. It looks like you are not trying to book a Alitalia flight, but a Delta flight with a Delta flight number, but is code-shared and operated by Alitalia. Different animal than booking an Alitalia-marketed flight.

That Delta-numbered Alitalia flight is also Alitalia metal is marketed by Alitalia as AZ603, arriving at 8:40am. I took the AZ609 flight, arriving at FCO at 6:45am.

I believe you will get all your Skymiles as Delta would give them because you are doing Delta flight numbers the whole way, not Alitalia. But, I pay for my codeshare flights with points, not accruing points...