First thoughts on our trip on the Queen Elizabeth

babs135

Many passengers get the cruise ship cough which is probably caused by the air con. Doesn’t mean they have an infection. It’s the cold and flu sufferers wandering the ship we should be concerned about.

And this year the flu is NO joke. I wish people with cold/flu symptoms would stay on their cabins at least until they start taking the antibiotics.

Many passengers get the cruise ship cough which is probably caused by the air con. Doesn’t mean they have an infection. It’s the cold and flu sufferers wandering the ship we should be concerned about.

And this year the flu is NO joke. I wish people with cold/flu symptoms would stay on their cabins at least until they start taking the antibiotics.

Cold is a viral infection and antibiotics are for bacterial infections so in effect are useless against colds.

Women generally have much more leeway in regard to dress code and I have seen some shockers over the years. Flip flops for formal nights!! It’s worth remembering though that aboard ship a sort of dictatorship exists and it is possible if any passenger refuses to comply with the dress code, in theory they could be removed by security, though I have never seen this happen thankfully.

And you will never see it happen because the cruise line wants to make money amd by doing that they will loose Customers and they don’t want that.

In other note wow flips flops on a formal it’s too much. :o

o

If Cunard allowed people to wear what they want, at dinner they would lose lots of regular passengers who love and enjoy the formal times.:D

o

If Cunard allowed people to wear what they want, at dinner they would lose lots of regular passengers who love and enjoy the formal times.:D

There are Cunarders and then there are other folk who sail. Sadly Cunard sometimes has to reach out beyond the Cunarder base to fill the ships hence the lowering of standards.

There are Cunarders and then there are other folk who sail. Sadly Cunard sometimes has to reach out beyond the Cunarder base to fill the ships hence the lowering of standards.

You are 100% correct in your comment Lakesregion,but I think the vast majority of passengers enjoy the dressing up on these type of cruises. The sad thing would be if they disappear, they have gone forever. If people want a fun cruise, plenty are available.:')

Off the ship now :( It was interesting to note that when I was off the ship I was cough free, but the minute I set foot back on the Elizabeth I started coughing. Having said that, there were definitely a fair number of people who were clearly unwell and should have stayed in their cabins. I know of several couples who had been to see the doctor because of persistent chesty symptoms who were then seen wandering the ship - had they been given the all clear or where they 'I'm on holiday and I refuse to spend time in the cabin' brigade?

Short of 'locking' them in their cabins I don't know what the answer is. We've all heard of the 'Cunard cough' but this was ridiculous.

Now in San Francisco for a few days. Weather is lovely but reading what we will be returning to in the UK I wish we were still on the ship!!!!

Sorry but its the time of the year worldwide for colds/coughs/flu and dont think it is down to one particular cruise line. Mentioned is Cunard Cough but also over the years heard of P&O Cough and Arcadia Cough. Dont think that people should be confined to their cabins just because of a cough/cold and unfortunately a lot of people get these ailments and think they have flu when that is a more serious ailment and they havent really got flu. Air conditioning doesnt cause coughs/colds but obviously if you have the symptoms a few people can soon spread the germs around the whole ship due to air conditioning.

Sorry but its the time of the year worldwide for colds/coughs/flu and dont think it is down to one particular cruise line. Mentioned is Cunard Cough but also over the years heard of P&O Cough and Arcadia Cough.

Indeed yes.

It's like whenever you say to someone "I've got/had a cold" and what is the reply you always get back in return ? "Oh yes, there's a lot of it around at the moment".

Hmm, there's "always a lot of it around" it seems to me.

DAVID

Having just recovered from ‘flu, I can assure you if anyone has ‘flu there is no way they would be wandering around the ship. I couldn’t get out of bed for 8 days!

Having just recovered from ‘flu, I can assure you if anyone has ‘flu there is no way they would be wandering around the ship. I couldn’t get out of bed for 8 days!

Agree 100% had flu 2 yrs ago and as a healthy mid 50s guy it knocked me off my feet for the best part of 14 days.

• 4 weeks later...
Off the ship now :( It was interesting to note that when I was off the ship I was cough free, but the minute I set foot back on the Elizabeth I started coughing. Having said that, there were definitely a fair number of people who were clearly unwell and should have stayed in their cabins. I know of several couples who had been to see the doctor because of persistent chesty symptoms who were then seen wandering the ship - had they been given the all clear or where they 'I'm on holiday and I refuse to spend time in the cabin' brigade?

Short of 'locking' them in their cabins I don't know what the answer is. We've all heard of the 'Cunard cough' but this was ridiculous.

Now in San Francisco for a few days. Weather is lovely but reading what we will be returning to in the UK I wish we were still on the ship!!!!

I just got off the QE and indeed lots of people sick and coughing so much I literally didn’t want to even go to the mido deck to eat ! People are so inconsiderate I saw a couple of people coughing on the food utensils etc not covering mouths! I have to tell one of the servers to change the spin that serve the scramble eggs because a lady coughed on her hands and the touch the spoon to serve herself the food it was do disgusting! I almost ate all my dinners on the Britannia Restaurant because of that . Lots of rude people on that cruise too never seen so many rude people in my life !!! Not saying excuse me , please or thank you it was unbelievable. The itinerary and the weather was perfect except for two days that we had that system on the pacific. But I will probably not cruise with Cunard again.

I suspect the passenger mix had a lot to do with the dress code.

On my Christmas/New Year QE cruise, I was blown away with how much everyone dressed up. Having said that it was a Southampton round-trip about 1300+ UK passengers, 180 US and 74 Canadians. Many others were Europeans (Germany, Spain, etc).

Given QE is now going around North American, has the percentage of North American passengers versus Europeans flipped. Suspect this was cause a change to dress code adherence.

We sailed on QM2 for 5 days out of NYC last year for Independence holiday and pretty much everybody was dressed up after 6pm. Not sure why you’d think otherwise. Americans do dress up unless it’s a party ship. Same with Europeans.

Edited by Tatka

I’ve been on more than 27 RCCL cruises and never been sick while cruising and now my first cruise on this line and already fear of getting sick while on it . This posting about people sick onboard with respiratory illnesses it’s concerning!! I hope the staff do a good job cleaning that ship to prevent more spreading. I definitely do not want to be on a long cruise and sick . To me it looks like Poor sanitation from the cruise line .

Are you serious? I like RCCL a lot, but during this past fall and winter almost every Royal’s ship was affected with Norovirus for several weeks.

Two World Cruises with Cunard. Both had many people with severe coughs(Cunard Cough?) Probably due to sailing from the UK in January with an older age group

So true...mostly all the people coughing were the ones coming from Southampton which all of them were older than 60.

Are you serious? I like RCCL a lot, but during this past fall and winter almost every Royal’s ship was affected with Norovirus for several weeks.

Them I’ve been lucky most of my cruises have been with Royal and never gotten sick. I was 23 days on this Cunard cruise and I got a stomach virus people coughing on their hands and then touching The serving spoons at lido deck a very nasty thing to see 😑