Heathrow to London-Westminster

shofer

We are considering a Trans-atlantic cruise in November and would sail our of Southhampton. Of course, we would like to spend a few pre-cruise days in London. Having only changed planes at Heathrow, we are wondering what is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel?

Already know about private car transfers but that is quite pricy. What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Sue

Having only changed planes at Heathrow, we are wondering what is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel?

Already know about private car transfers but that is quite pricy. What would you recommend?

Which hotel; where? (Even "Westminster" is pretty vague.) That's critical to knowing the best way to get to your hotel by any means other than car or taxi, if you think that they are too expensive.

Even "Westminster" is pretty vague

Yep, it's a big borough.

The Heathrow Express is very frequent, very easy, very good value if you book months in advance, and gets you to Paddington station in just 15 minutes.

Which is great if your hotel is in or close to Paddington station - but would give you either an expensive taxi ride or (with luggage) a difficult tube journey if your hotel is in, say, Victoria.

The National Express bus service isn't fast but is simple & cheap if your hotel is in Victoria.

But followed by that same taxi or tube journey if your hotel is in Paddington.

JB :)

If you did go to the Z Victoria, its only a 500 yard walk (no more than 10 mins) from Victoria Coach station straight up Buckingham Palace Road. There are wide pavements (thats sidewalks to you!;p), so no problem with rolloing luggage.

Simon

The hotel we are looking at is Z-Victoria.
I can think of many possible reasons why you originally used the word "Westminster", but in case you have to describe its location to anyone in the future, no Londoner would think of it as being in Westminster - rather, it's in Victoria.

This must be so confusing for visitors, especially as the area known as Westminster (a few streets around the Abbey and Parliament Square) is a tiny part of the borough and in one corner of it, not the centre. Boroughs are mostly relevant to residents for local taxes and services - pointless for directions.

I blame certain well known hotel booking sites who now seem to use boroughs rather than (or certainly in addition to) neighbourhoods.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I blame certain well known hotel booking sites who now seem to use boroughs rather than (or certainly in addition to) neighbourhoods.
I suspect "not invented here" syndrome, coupled with a healthy dose of intellectual laziness: "We identify areas in this way at home. You mean not all cities work this way? Wow! How am I going to find out which neighbourhood a particular hotel is in? [it's a strange and dangerous foreign place.]"

So which hotel booking site does Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary work for? ;)

If I might just piggyback and ask a similar question: we'll be arriving at Heathrow from the U.S. around 9 PM on a Monday in late October, and staying at a hotel very near Waterloo station. We don't want to be dragging luggage on public transport. Is it a correct assumption that cabs will still be readily available at that hour? Would it be better (cheaper?) to book a car service and, if so, any recommendations for a reliable company?

Thanks!

If I might just piggyback and ask a similar question: we'll be arriving at Heathrow from the U.S. around 9 PM on a Monday in late October, and staying at a hotel very near Waterloo station. We don't want to be dragging luggage on public transport. Is it a correct assumption that cabs will still be readily available at that hour?
Yes, there will still be lots of cabs at the rank at that time.

The only time I've got close to having to wait for a taxi at Heathrow was at 1.40 am. Our 9.00 pm flight had a mechanical delay, and the flight eventually got cancelled at 12.45 am. By the time we'd got back to the main terminal (we had to wait for the transit to be restarted for us), cleared immigration and got our luggage, it was that time. We got the last cab on the rank, although I expect that word would have got around quite quickly that there was a planeload of passengers who'd just got thrown out of the terminal.

If I might just piggyback and ask a similar question: we'll be arriving at Heathrow from the U.S. around 9 PM on a Monday in late October, and staying at a hotel very near Waterloo station. We don't want to be dragging luggage on public transport. Is it a correct assumption that cabs will still be readily available at that hour? Would it be better (cheaper?) to book a car service and, if so, any recommendations for a reliable company?

Thanks!

Yes, there will be cabs lined-up at the airport terminal rank.

But it's the most expensive way to get from Heathrow to central London. At a guess, around £65??

Heathrow to Waterloo with luggage isn't easy by public transport - IMHO best compromise would be Nat Express bus to Victoria coach station (about £5 pp) then cab from the rank for the 3 miles to your Waterloo hotel (about £12??).

But by taxi all the way would be so much better, and a pre-booked taxi will only cost about £40

Try http://www.simplyairports.co.uk/ one of the major operators, or there are dozens of others.

But ignore recommendations on Cruise Critic for smithsforairports or westquaycars or aquacars - they're based around Southampton, so unsuitable for Heathrow to London.

Yes, there will be cabs lined-up at the airport terminal rank.

But it's the most expensive way to get from Heathrow to central London. At a guess, around £65??

Heathrow to Waterloo with luggage isn't easy by public transport - IMHO best compromise would be Nat Express bus to Victoria coach station (about £5 pp) then cab from the rank for the 3 miles to your Waterloo hotel (about £12??).

But by taxi all the way would be so much better, and a pre-booked taxi will only cost about £40

Try http://www.simplyairports.co.uk/ one of the major operators, or there are dozens of others.

But ignore recommendations on Cruise Critic for smithsforairports or westquaycars or aquacars - they're based around Southampton, so unsuitable for Heathrow to London.

Thanks for the quick reply and for all the great info you provide on here. Happy to know there should be no problem getting a cab at that hour.

And I appreciate the info about Smiths for Airports and the other Southampton-based operators. I do know they are Southampton-based, but you could not have known that, so it was good of you to flag that. (We used Smiths a few years ago to go from London to Southampton; they were terrific, and we may use them again on this trip. I know it would be cheaper to take the train from Waterloo, but not sure we really want to drag our luggage around.)

As for Simply Airports, I had booked them a number of years ago to pick us up at our London hotel and take us to Heathrow. I'd re-confirmed the booking by email before leaving on our trip and again directly by phone with them once we were in London. Nevertheless, their driver never showed up. When I called them from the hotel to ask where their driver was, first they told me they had no booking for me, then they acknowledged they had one, then they claimed it was for a later time, despite the very clear emails and my reconfirming phone call just the day before. Thankfully, the hotel concierge was able to get us a cab quickly and we made our flight. I sent Simply Airports an email of complaint after we got home, and I don't recall that they ever replied. Needless to say, they are not on my list!

Thanks again for all your info!