Room Service tips

springtx249

We do not tip. We consider this an included dining option, just like the main dining room, the Lido buffer or any other included included onboard food service. We honor the concept of keep the ship as cash-free as possible. We also honor the principle of keeping ships services a level playing field for all passengers; not just for those who tip the most.

You don't need to but yes, we do tip.

Either have it out (if you choose to tip) on the table or where the key card goes. They don't wait. ;)

I have found the service very good and appreciate it.

It doesn't have to be big, but yes, we do. Again, no need to unless you want to.

For Breakfast delivery as a solo cruiser, I offer $1.00. If my traveling companion is there, we add an additional $1.00. For Lunch (never have ordered Room Service Dinner), I will offer $2.00 per person.

If one wishes to offer a gratuity to the gentleman who serves you, one needs to have the cash readily available. Usually, the tray is delivered and the person is headed for and out the door before I am able to get to my wallet.

I'm sure that this has been addressed before, but I will ask the ? again. Do you tip for room service. This will be our first time to have a balcony and plan on ordering breakfast and enjoying the views from our room. If so, how much?

We usually do breakfast room service and tip $2, if we do an afternoon snack same tip! These folks work hard and deserve the gesture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always tip, generally from $2 to $5 depending on how big the order.

It is my understanding that these stewards volunteer for this extra duty, in order to earn a few extra dollars.

And as others have said - have your money ready as they will not hang around looking for a tip.

I will tell you my experience. Up until my last cruise, I didn't tip. They are in and out so fast you don't even have time to collect your thoughts. In October I was not feeling well so my sister sent me chicken soup and ginger-ale. I stopped the steward on the way out and gave him $1. (It could have been $2 but I cannot really remember.) His exact words to me were "Thank you. It is very much appreciated." I say all this to say there is no right way and there is no wrong way. They do not expect it but, if you are so inclined, they do appreciate it. I should add that I can count on one hand the number of times I have had room service.

Edited by *Miss G*

I keep a small stack of $1s handy. And I do tip Room Service. I’ve seen them coming down the hall and they’re carrying the trays. I don’t find it a hardship to part with a dollar or two. My little bit of money makes somebody happier about his or her job, I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, for what it's worth, I worked as a waitress and hard to put myself through Univeristy for four years, so I have a conception of what it's like.

Carrying those trays in is not as easy as it looks, especially with the cabin doors and entrances.

I find my service good, they take the lids off to make sure everything is ok and there.

they are under pressure to get things done quickly - no different from the MDR staff or the Lido IMO.

So, tip or don't but don't belittle the efforts of the crew who are willing to do this. This is on top of their other jobs as I understand it.

Assuming that my information is correct (that they volunteer to do this job in addition to their other work) indicates that they expect tips. The fact that they do not hang around looking for it is likely due to their training.

When we used to order room service -- we always tipped the person who delivered our food.

Sometimes we had the same person -- most times we did not.

The amount we tipped depended on how much food we ordered.

For breakfast -- the most times we had room service -- our order was a decent size so we tipped $5.

The servers come in very quickly -- so if you do decide to tip -- have the money ready.

I always tip when I order room service breakfast; usually $2.00-$3.00. I get the money out when I complete the hang-tag, and leave it by the door. When I open the door to let the steward in, I pick up the money to have it in my hand. As noted---they move fast.

I've had room service dinner only a couple of times, and know I tipped, but don't remember how much. I think it was more than breakfast since the tray had more on it.

My daughter manages a restaurant. After hearing her stories, yes - we tip. Just wish I’d tipped the guy who picked up the tray. Next time, will have cash handy.

Did notice that if room service didn’t pick up the tray, our assistant steward took the tray.

Yes, they were also well tipped and deserved the extra.

For what it is worth, after sailing mostly RCI until my birthday booking was mucked up and I looked elsewhere - the HAL and Princess staff members don’t hang around expecting you to tip them. Makes it very obvious to this cruiser the difference between staff expectations and the huge improvement in staffing by corporate Princess and HAL.

Appreciated having staff provide drinks of choice vs self serve. Clean tables in the Lido / Windjammer was appreciated. Good food, pleasant anmbiance.

Tipping was a pleasure as it was not expected on HAL or Princess. One cruise gave a candy bar with the tip, do believe from the big smile and his stated “CANDY” that the staff member preferred the chocolate bar.

Yes, these crew members volunteer for this duty in addition to the hours they already are assigned at their "regular" job. They volunteer in hopes of making a little extra money.

Of course they do not hang around, waiting to see if you will dig out a few dollars They know you will have it ready for them if you intend to tip.

No guilt trip here ..... I appreciate their efforts -- they have to haul those trays all over the ship, it ISN'T that easy. As someone else has said, if I can make someone happy with a couple of dollars ... why wouldn't I?

Well, for what it's worth, I worked as a waitress and hard to put myself through Univeristy for four years, so I have a conception of what it's like.

Carrying those trays in is not as easy as it looks, especially with the cabin doors and entrances.

I find my service good, they take the lids off to make sure everything is ok and there.

they are under pressure to get things done quickly - no different from the MDR staff or the Lido IMO.

So, tip or don't but don't belittle the efforts of the crew who are willing to do this. This is on top of their other jobs as I understand it.

I worked as a waitress when I was very young and I understand too about how much tips mean! We always give room service 2 or 3 dollars to deliver breakfast. They really appreciate it.

I always say that anyone who ever worked for tips will always be generous when it comes to tipping others!

... We honor the concept of keep the ship as cash-free as possible. We also honor the principle of keeping ships services a level playing field for all passengers; not just for those who tip the most.

That concept of "cash free" is not for the employee's but for the guests. The employee's love cash and some need it to supplement their meager salaries.

Of course you are not required to tip, but consider it next time you watch someone struggle to bring in your huge tray of food, that you didn't pay extra for, and try to get around all your stuff in that small room while they try to bring you your hot food. If tipping that person a couple of dollars is going to break your budget maybe you should rethink your vacation choice.