O's Reading Room coming to all sailings

albingirl

I think there was another thread about this, quite recently.

Thank goodness that unlike muster drill, attendance will not be mandatory ;)

LOL, love that :'):halo:

Of course, don't forget you have to BUY the book unless you are on a specified sailing which the majority of us are not. :confused::eek:

LOL, love that :'):halo:

Of course, don't forget you have to BUY the book unless you are on a specified sailing which the majority of us are not. :confused::eek:

HAVE to BUY an "O" Book??? NO WAY, I read alot, I buy many books but will NOT be told by HAL (or anyone) I HAVE to BuY an "O" book. That is so way over the line... HAL really should re-think this, IMO. NOW They TELL us we HAVE to BUY an "O" Book :loudcry: They HAVE to be kidding. Not going to happen!!!

I will donate the cost to charity t but I will not donate to "O" making one cent on me.

I wonder if HAL is starting to get an idea this alliance with "O" may be a bad idea and not being well received by many HAL pax? More like a total flop. How long does anyone think Mam "O" will hang around when she sees a number of us are not enthralled? iT will depend what monetary penalites.

Edited by sail7seas

Wait ..... there is more, folks. Looks like powder sugar donuts will soon be replaced with more content-free gobbly-gook.

The cruise marks the launch of a new collaboration between Holland America and O, The Oprah Magazine to offer guests activities that bring the magazine to life, including meditation, tai chi, healthy cooking demonstrations, an onboard book club and more. Editor at large Gayle King and other guests will join the American talkshow host on the inaugural seven-night O, The Oprah Magazine Share the Adventure cruise from Seattle to Alaska in July.

“We are deeply honored that O, The Oprah Magazine chose Holland America Line as its first cruise line partner to further our shared belief that travel and wellness have the power to open minds, build connections and inspire shared humanity,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line.

“Our commitment to providing authentic experiences for our guests is at the forefront of all we do, and this collaboration is going to empower our guests in a whole new way with thought-provoking and enriching activities and content developed together with the experts at O, The Oprah Magazine.”

HAVE to BUY an "O" Book??? NO WAY, I read alot, I buy many books but will NOT be told by HAL (or anyone) I HAVE to BuY an "O" book. That is so way over the line... HAL really should re-think this, IMO. NOW They TELL us we HAVE to BUY an "O" Book :loudcry: They HAVE to be kidding. Not going to happen!!!

I will donate the cost to charity t but I will not donate to "O" making one cent on me.

You only need to buy the book if you are not on an "O" cruise AND you want to participate in the Oprah Reading Room (or whatever it is called).

You only need to buy the book if you are not on an "O" cruise AND you want to participate in the Oprah Reading Room (or whatever it is called).

Actually, it's the reverse. It you are not on an "O" cruise, you need to buy the book IF you want to be in the book club for the Oprah Reading room. https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/arts-entertainment/os-reading-room-goes-fleetwide-features-oprahs-book-clubs-latest-selection-an-american-marriage/

Speaking only for myself, if I am going to lug a book on a plane or a cruise, it will be one of my choosing ;)

kazu we are saying the same thing I think

I'd love to read some posts from anyone who is happy about this alliance and has plans to book an "O cruise. Mus be some people who are pleased with this idea?

I don't plan to book an "O" cruise, but I am happy with the alliance. To me it is another outlet that guests can participate in. Since HAL has dropped their librarian and their reading groups at least this is another way to participate in a book club while onboard.

I do wish that some of the other features from an "O" cruise would show up on all sailings. I so much miss the morning and evening sessions of Thai Chi. I would also enjoy fresh and healthy cooking demonstrations.

Wait ..... there is more, folks. Looks like powder sugar donuts will soon be replaced with more content-free gobbly-gook.

The cruise marks the launch of a new collaboration between Holland America and O, The Oprah Magazine to offer guests activities that bring the magazine to life, including meditation, tai chi, healthy cooking demonstrations, an onboard book club and more. Editor at large Gayle King and other guests will join the American talkshow host on the inaugural seven-night O, The Oprah Magazine Share the Adventure cruise from Seattle to Alaska in July.

“We are deeply honored that O, The Oprah Magazine chose Holland America Line as its first cruise line partner to further our shared belief that travel and wellness have the power to open minds, build connections and inspire shared humanity,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line.

“Our commitment to providing authentic experiences for our guests is at the forefront of all we do, and this collaboration is going to empower our guests in a whole new way with thought-provoking and enriching activities and content developed together with the experts at O, The Oprah Magazine.”

You do realize that you've posted a news release that's over a year old?

The cruise to Alaska that's mentioned has been over and done lo these many months. :rolleyes:

You do realize that you've posted a news release that's over a year old?

The cruise to Alaska that's mentioned has been over and done lo these many months. :rolleyes:

Yes, the news release is from 2017 ( sorry, assumed most who are following this program knew this) -- however, what is not current about the O program as presented? Still waiting to see what the "and more" part of this marketing campaign will be offering, which was the point of copying the old press release.

What makes the 2017 press release even more interesting in 2018 is whether it is living up to its intended expectations. One word Oprah, don't mess with my powder sugar donuts.

I don't plan to book an "O" cruise, but I am happy with the alliance. To me it is another outlet that guests can participate in. Since HAL has dropped their librarian and their reading groups at least this is another way to participate in a book club while onboard.

I do wish that some of the other features from an "O" cruise would show up on all sailings. I so much miss the morning and evening sessions of Thai Chi. I would also enjoy fresh and healthy cooking demonstrations.

Like you, I also don't plan to book an O cruise, and I do think that it is another outlet that appeals to many people. Oprah didn't get to be one of the most powerful and influential person in the world by not being admired by many. It's clear that some on this forum don't care for Oprah, but I don't think that they can dismiss Oprah's influence. And, as HAL is expanding the O theme on its ships, I would think that it indicates that the Oprah branding has been well received on HAL.

I know, from previous threads, that we were all expecting this, but I got an email today from HAL. Which I guess makes it official. Don't know if that eliminates all libraries eventually. It's really a shame.

Like you, I also don't plan to book an O cruise, and I do think that it is another outlet that appeals to many people. Oprah didn't get to be one of the most powerful and influential person in the world by not being admired by many. It's clear that some on this forum don't care for Oprah, but I don't think that they can dismiss Oprah's influence. And, as HAL is expanding the O theme on its ships, I would think that it indicates that the Oprah branding has been well received on HAL.

The fleet-wide expansion may have been required by the marketing contract. How do you feel about branding HAL ships with any other high-profile celebrity, by name, face activity and attitude? Take your pick - franchising personal branding is not just exclusive to Oprah. Would you want a Jane Fonda Fitness cruise line? Or a Angelina Jolie themed cruise line? A Gwyneth Paltrow GOOP vegan cruise line. The possibilities are endless.

The fleet-wide expansion may have been required by the marketing contract. How do you feel about branding HAL ships with any other high-profile celebrity, by name, face activity and attitude? Take your pick - franchising personal branding is not just exclusive to Oprah. Would you want a Jane Fonda Fitness cruise line? Or a Angelina Jolie themed cruise line? A Gwyneth Paltrow GOOP vegan cruise line. The possibilities are endless.

Horrible! While some cruisers may be jumping up and down about "O" and other possibilities, I view it as an extension of our crazed celebrity culture, which I abhor. Would I cruise Holland America to enjoy such activities? Absolutely not, and I'd probably avoid those cruises specified as ones in which passengers could meet "O" in person. There are a lot of new ideas HAL has incorporated recently that I don't think I'll enjoy, especially those interactive shore excursion tables, but I'll reserve judgment until I see for myself. I hope if the majority of passenger feedback is negative about these new ideas that HAL will react quickly to eliminate them. On the other hand, if most passengers enjoy these activities, then I'll accept that; however, I don't have to participate.

Horrible! While some cruisers may be jumping up and down about "O" and other possibilities, I view it as an extension of our crazed celebrity culture, which I abhor. Would I cruise Holland America to enjoy such activities? Absolutely not, and I'd probably avoid those cruises specified as ones in which passengers could meet "O" in person. There are a lot of new ideas HAL has incorporated recently that I don't think I'll enjoy, especially those interactive shore excursion tables, but I'll reserve judgment until I see for myself. I hope if the majority of passenger feedback is negative about these new ideas that HAL will react quickly to eliminate them. On the other hand, if most passengers enjoy these activities, then I'll accept that; however, I don't have to participate.

I also abhor the celebrity worship that seems so prevalent these days. But I guess the PTB at HAL think they can get some marketing value out of connections like this. The good news is I can ignore the O merchandise or reading room. And it isn't like summer camp where they make you do "fun activities." Nobody is going to drag passengers to the "breathe" sessions or the lifestyle advice lectures.

I would find Gwyneth Paltrow more annoying. Or, heaven forfend, Martha Stewart!

I also abhor the celebrity worship that seems so prevalent these days. But I guess the PTB at HAL think they can get some marketing value out of connections like this. The good news is I can ignore the O merchandise or reading room. And it isn't like summer camp where they make you do "fun activities." Nobody is going to drag passengers to the "breathe" sessions or the lifestyle advice lectures.

I would find Gwyneth Paltrow more annoying. Or, heaven forfend, Martha Stewart!

Perhaps we could all dance up and down the stairs like Ellen ;)

Personally I wouldn't go on a cruise that had celebrities on it. I pay my money to enjoy a cruise - not to bolster the earnings of already wealthy so-called stars. Oprah probably gets a kick back from having her reading room on the ships which will annoy me. We are cruising in June/July - I must remember to check up on how many use the reading room.

I know, from previous threads, that we were all expecting this, but I got an email today from HAL. Which I guess makes it official. Don't know if that eliminates all libraries eventually. It's really a shame.

From HAL"s Blog:

"The rollout of the O’s Reading Room program fleetwide is not connected to the transition of our libraries onboard. It is one of many optional activities that guests can take part in, and is simply a book club discussion that will be held onboard for those who wish to participate. The evolution of our libraries is a direct result of the majority of travelers now sailing with e-readers or their own books. The evolution of our onboard product always follows general consumer trends shoreside such as the popularity of e-readers."

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/arts-entertainment/os-reading-room-goes-fleetwide-features-oprahs-book-clubs-latest-selection-an-american-marriage/

Perhaps we could all dance up and down the stairs like Ellen ;)

Personally I wouldn't go on a cruise that had celebrities on it. I pay my money to enjoy a cruise - not to bolster the earnings of already wealthy so-called stars. Oprah probably gets a kick back from having her reading room on the ships which will annoy me. We are cruising in June/July - I must remember to check up on how many use the reading room.

I wouldn't want to sail on a cruise with celebrities on it, either. But except for the few "O" cruises, most of the O stuff is pretty easy to ignore.

I have no heartburn with O's Reading Room. No interest in it, either: I'd rather

read the next book (or the nearest milk carton) than hash over what the author

surely must have meant by the sub-plot that begins on page 47.

BTW, shipboard libraries are ...so 20th Century. It used to be that we had

better things to pack than books, and the ship's library was a high-priority

stop on Embarkation Day. Today, even us in the "HAL demographic" have

learned we can have as many (e)books aboard as we care to, without having

to stick a single one in bulging suitcase or settle for whatever might still be

on offer in the library when we get there.

You know that you can always download the book for free if you are a member of a public library and have the overdrive app. Personally I like the idea of a book club and whether you like Oprah or not her book suggestions are usually excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums