Can you see Cuba from the Legend?

CBCGirl

I was looking at the itinerary map for my upcoming cruise on the Legend and coming back from Grand Cayman it looks like we will be fairly close to Cuba. Can you see it from the ship, maybe with binoculars? Also, if anyone has seen it about what time did you pass it?

Yes, you can see it,but there is not much to see.It looked like some land on the horizon.In fact,most of the time,you really don't know its there,unless someone mentions it.It must have been day time when we passed it.Enjoy the Legend.Its a great ship.:)

All things considered in today's world, it is really, to put it mildly, silly, that it is almost impossible for an American to travel there legally.

:confused: The OP only asked if she could see the Cuba from the ship, not if she could visit there. Just confused about your comment. :confused:

We could see it coming back from GC on the Liberty and I would guess we noticed it around 1:00. It does take a bit to pass, it's much bigger than I though it would be. Binoculars might help, without them we just saw the outline of mountains.

As a Canadian, I am able to go to Cuba. It is a beautiful country, with beautiful people. It is a very large island, one that would take multiple trips to in order to see even a portion of it! I know we are very fortunate to be able to visit this untouched place...it truly is like stepping back in time in many ways, as they are so limited in imports. They drive old cars, they don't have many of the "Americanized" pleasures that many islands have to offer. Maybe one day some of you will be able to enjoy Cuba as much as we do.

I was looking at the itinerary map for my upcoming cruise on the Legend and coming back from Grand Cayman it looks like we will be fairly close to Cuba. Can you see it from the ship, maybe with binoculars? Also, if anyone has seen it about what time did you pass it?

Yes: Cubans2.jpg

All things considered in today's world, it is really, to put it mildly, silly, that it is almost impossible for an American to travel there legally.

No it's not. Many can get an exemption based on their need and occupation. I have been to Cuba 2 times in the last few years.

There are daily flights from New York and Miami and maybe some other places to Havana. If you get the exemption, you can purchase tickets for these flights. American Airlines out of Miami is the one I used.

No it's not. Many can get an exemption based on their need and occupation. I have been to Cuba 2 times in the last few years.

There are daily flights from New York and Miami and maybe some other places to Havana. If you get the exemption, you can purchase tickets for these flights. American Airlines out of Miami is the one I used.

Military contractors go there all the time.

LOL! We were on the Legend in August and we sailed so close to Cuba that I thought we were stopping to pick people up!:)

That was during the Tropical Storm and we were redirected to Port Canaveral so we had to sail between the Keys and Cuba. Seriously, we were really close, close enough to see structures on the shore without a binocular. I dont think that you will get that close, but you never know, we ARE still in Hurricane season!

That's where we send the terrorists we're trying to rid the world of. And its never SILLY. If you don't know the reasoning behind it you maybe shouldn't comment. Even "mildly".

We could see it coming back from GC on the Liberty and I would guess we noticed it around 1:00. It does take a bit to pass, it's much bigger than I though it would be. Binoculars might help, without them we just saw the outline of mountains.

We saw it too on the Liberty coming back from Grand Cayman! We just saw some rocky looking mountains off in the distance on starboard side.

Easily seen, but not much to see. Mostly forested hills. Occasionally you may be able to pick out a larger building, particularly with binoculars.

It does take a bit to pass, it's much bigger than I though it would be.

Haven't you ever looked at a map of the Caribbean? Cuba is huge, compared to everything else. (Well, Hispaniola is pretty big too) Cuba is almost 800 miles long. It's about the size of Virginia in area.

Archived