Can they cancel your reservation if not paid in full by final payment date?

I'm just curious.....can they cancel your cruise if you paid the deposit, but did not pay the cruise in full by the final payment date? I'm asking because we cruise in July and our final payment was due on May 6th. They asked way-back-when if I wanted the balance charged to my card on that date and I said yes.

Well, I checked my online reservations today....and the balance was never paid! :eek: I panicked and called, and paid it in full. But it made me wonder if they can or will cancel a cruise if you don't pay in full on-time. I'm glad I caught that now and it's resolved!!

Well, I checked my online reservations today....and the balance was never paid! :eek: I panicked and called, and paid it in full. But it made me wonder if they can or will cancel a cruise if you don't pay in full on-time. I'm glad I caught that now and it's resolved!!

Personally, I wouldn't trust their on-line payment system to correct the problem. You need to call and make sure that the payment went through, and your reservation is intact and paid in full. I take it that you don't have a TA, since you were not notified that the deadline for final payment was approaching. RC and X don't call and remind you -- that's something you have to keep track of, when you handle your own bookings. Hope everything is OK, and that you have a great cruise! :cool:

Personally, I wouldn't trust their on-line payment system to correct the problem. You need to call and make sure that the payment went through, and your reservation is intact and paid in full. I take it that you don't have a TA, since you were not notified that the deadline for final payment was approaching. RC and X don't call and remind you -- that's something you have to keep track of, when you handle your own bookings. Hope everything is OK, and that you have a great cruise! :cool:

Actually, I book online myself all the time and Royal has called me to remind me the final payment date was nearing. Once you make your payment the balance is immediately updated so if anything's not right it's easy to spot.

• 1 month later...

To expand I know the final payment is due 7/17/2014 and I have until the 17th? How much of the 17th?

I am hoping for another price drop for this Sept sailing! I guess 1,500 was a good price

for JS?

I thought it was cheaper to sail during hurricane season?

Thanks for insight! Never waited til last sec. to pay for a cruise!

To expand I know the final payment is due 7/17/2014 and I have until the 17th? How much of the 17th?

I am hoping for another price drop for this Sept sailing! ....

If you're not paying until the last minute because you're afraid of missing out on a price drop, the final payment DUE DATE is what counts, not whether or not you've actually paid it. We paid a few weeks early for an Australia Radiance cruise and then found a huge price drop about 2 weeks later. One call from our TA and we got the amount refunded.

There's no need to pay early, but I certainly wouldn't wait until 5:00pm on the 17th, knowing how many website problems there are and the sometimes long waits on hold for a phone rep.

RCI won't cancel the reservation right away (as the OP already knows), but they normally will do so after a week. Now, if you miss the final payment date and decide to cancel the cruise after that (shoot, I missed final payment, eh, didn't want to go, anyway), you will be hit with a cancellation penalty. I don't know (but I have my suspicions) what happens when RCI cancels the booking for failure to make final payment.

RCI won't cancel the reservation right away (as the OP already knows), but they normally will do so after a week. Now, if you miss the final payment date and decide to cancel the cruise after that (shoot, I missed final payment, eh, didn't want to go, anyway), you will be hit with a cancellation penalty. I don't know (but I have my suspicions) what happens when RCI cancels the booking for failure to make final payment.

Since the first stage of the penalty phase for cancelling a cruise is the loss of the deposit I wonder if RCI just leaves the reservation as is until you actually hit the second phase. I would assume that once final payment date has passed they will keep your deposit regardless

I am hoping for another price drop for this Sept sailing! I guess 1,500 was a good price

for JS?

It has to be paid by 5:00pm. But, it is going on the credit card.... It is not 'really' paid until after you get the statement from the credit card company and select a date to either send the check in or transfer from your bank account. Depending on your credit card closing date, the money out of you pocket could be as far out as 6-7 weeks after you make the payment to RCL.

for JS?

Hurricane season is June to November, which is at the height of summer vacation for school and typically is a high priced cruise season as that is when most families can cruise. Simple supply and demand.

Hurricanes are very infrequent and rarely affect cruises. The hurricane season would not be a reason for lower fares in of itself. The early fall season when school is back in session is typically a time with lower fares with fewer families cruising, but those rates are also not associated with hurricanes.

Also if your price drops for your September cruise, it typically would be after final payment date, not before. And if you miss that date but don't lose your reservation, they would still charge you the original booking rate that was due, and would not reduce it to any new lower fare that occurred after you payment was due.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Myself I will always make final paymnet no later then 1 month from final, then I know it is paid. I wouldn't want to wait until the final date and have the payment be processed late. I also check my Credit Card to verify the payment was made and receive an invoice from our TA.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I'm just curious.....can they cancel your cruise if you paid the deposit, but did not pay the cruise in full by the final payment date? I'm asking because we cruise in July and our final payment was due on May 6th. They asked way-back-when if I wanted the balance charged to my card on that date and I said yes.

We signed up for a cruise on Oasis of the Seas (our 38th with RCCL) for March of this year. Our final payment was due January 28th and I was notified, by email, on January 20th, that our cruise had been cancelled due to lack of a final payment. Ironically, we were on the Adventure of the Seas when I receive this email. It was a nightmare to get everything back in order. I was on the telephone for HOURS trying to retrieve all our show reservations, excursions, dining time, drink packages, room reservations etc. I had hard copies of all our correspondence and had to scan those and send them in but was glad I had these for proof. SO, I have learned a lesson the hard way, from now on, I will make our final payment at least 3-4 weeks before they due date. I was a bit disappointed in RCCL on how they handled the entire situation. They did give us a $50.00 OBC but I thought that was a bit low for all the trouble we went through especially since we had so many cruises with RCCL.