Is there something to do off the ship if you don't do excursions?

MDgal76

Hi folks, I am on the Carnival Glory western Caribbean June 30, 2018. I am traveling with my husband, mom and stepdad. My husband and I will want to do excursions but I know my mom and step dad may not want to do what we do. Are they able to go exploring around the ports or just relax on the beach if they don't want to do excursions? I am sure they don't mind paying a few bucks for beach access but not wanting to spend hundreds just to lay on the beach. And they will definitely want to get off the ship. We are going to Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel. Thanks in advance!

How about visiting a Foreign Country. You can do that at almost every port.

OMG you don't say!!!! And here I though all these countries were pet of the U.S.!!!!

To be more specific; are there things to do at the ports that dont involve an excursions!

Check whether Carnival has an excursion to the Lamanai Mayan ruins in Belize. It's an all day thing. Ours included lunch, a boat ride on a river, howling howler monkeys in the forest canopy on the ruin site. I thought it was awesome!

Belize City is not a good spot to just walk around. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are fine. In Roatan we did an excursion to a park with parrots, iguanas and monkeys. We are not beach people and did therefore not go to the beach next to the cruise port in Roatan.

Check whether Carnival has an excursion to the Lamanai Mayan ruins in Belize. It's an all day thing. Ours included lunch, a boat ride on a river, howling howler monkeys in the forest canopy on the ruin site. I thought it was awesome!

Belize City is not a good spot to just walk around. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are fine. In Roatan we did an excursion to a park with parrots, iguanas and monkeys. We are not beach people and did therefore not go to the beach next to the cruise port in Roatan.

The ruins are a definite for my husband and I! That's a big reason he agreed to go on a cruise! Ive been to GC and I remember there was stuff to do at the port. And from reading it appears Cozumel has stuff as well. Wasn't to sure about Belize and Roatan. Thanks for the info.

There are plenty of things to do on your own. There is no need to take a ship or private excursion if you don't want to.

BUT - be very aware of the time to get back to the ship at the time they specify. If you lose track and departure time passes, you will be left behind. The ship will NOT wait for people going ashore on their own. Only ship tours will be waited for if they are late. Make sure everyone's watches are on ship time if different than shore time, which in some ports are different.

A guidebook from your local library is VERY helpful...the more you know about where you're going, the better time you will have. So, do some research, and that will make your day 100% better! DIY is EASY if you have info on your ports!

[We are going to Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel. Thanks in advance!

Grand Cayman - lots of shopping right in downtown, across the street from the dock. Be forewarned, everything is expensive! I would take a cab to Seven Mile Beach. Try to locate a place with a pool that charges a nominal amount for beach chairs. I think the place we went to was Royal Palm. Check out the port of call section for other ideas. However, I would recommend swimming with the sting rays if you haven't done that before.

Belize - if you are going to the leave the port, take a tour. You can hire snorkel tours at the dock. Check out River Wallace/Altun Ha tour by Carnival. It was worth it.

Roatan - Free beach right at the port. Food and drinks are not from the ship so bring cash or cc.

Cozumel - easiest of all. Take a cab downtown to shop or try local restaurants. If they are looking for a cheap beach day, grab a cab to Paradise Beach. Good pool, food and drinks. Really fun vibe.

No need to do a ship's excursion, but in Belize, it is a good idea to have a guide. Hope you all enjoy the cruse!

There are very few excursions for which you must book as a ship's excursion. One example of which I'm aware is the sugar train in St. Kitts. On a day that a ship is in port the only way to ride is if you're a cruise passenger who has booked via the ship's tour office.

But you can usually take an island tour with a myriad of independent operators or just take a taxi to the beach.

Send them to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. Assuming they are able to walk to the cab stand and watch the clock on when to return. Google it, its quiet, never crowded and food and all drinks are included.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums