Changer to on board shops

frankc98376

Recent post from Veendam said the on board shops would be closed for a large part of the cruise for major changes. Post indicated that this would spread fleet wide. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is this a new shop vendor?

Was on Oosterdam in October and a little disappointed in the main shop. We really like to look for new HAL or specific ship related merchandise. There was very little HAL or Oosterdam items and most of what they had was off sizes and on clearance and a few coffee mugs. A large part of the shop (looked like 1/3 of the shop) was dedicated to "O" (Oprah) merchandise.

On a recent cruise onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, I was told by a member of staff that the vendor for Holland America shops has lost their contract, and two new vendors will take over HAL onboard shops. One of the vendors is the same company which operates the onboard shops on Princess, and the other vendor's company name I can't recall.

Recent post from Veendam said the on board shops would be closed for a large part of the cruise for major changes. Post indicated that this would spread fleet wide. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is this a new shop vendor?

Was on Oosterdam in October and a little disappointed in the main shop. We really like to look for new HAL or specific ship related merchandise. There was very little HAL or Oosterdam items and most of what they had was off sizes and on clearance and a few coffee mugs. A large part of the shop (looked like 1/3 of the shop) was dedicated to "O" (Oprah) merchandise.

That was my post. Flier we recd said a select number of ships, it doesn’t name them.

Sending this from a stormy HMC.

Even the shop on HMC had basically nothing. No adult shirts, just some vinyl beach bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fingers crossed maybe they are changing vendors and there might be something worth looiking ag or perhaps vfen buying. the ships have had such horrid selection for years, IMO I ama sh opper and I can hardly find a thing I want to look at twice. It is always disappointing.

On a recent cruise onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, I was told by a member of staff that the vendor for Holland America shops has lost their contract, and two new vendors will take over HAL onboard shops. One of the vendors is the same company which operates the onboard shops on Princess, and the other vendor's company name I can't recall.

And how are the Princess shops? And can they be any worse than HAL's in recent years.

And how are the Princess shops? And can they be any worse than HAL's in recent years.

We have ha d threads here for years complaining how bad gthe shops on HAL sships are There is Nothingto buy. I walk right by the tablesat the ppool when they mark so much of it down. I don't want any of it for free.

I wonder why they finally figured out their vendor is awful and thought of ma ybe putting something in the shop s that people might like.Those shops occupy expensive 'real est tate. They could actually be making money from that space.

Edited by sail7seas

Hope the change is for the good! We found the same thing on Oosterdam in October that so much was dedicated to "O" merch and no one was buying (including me)! They used to have some really nice "Cruise" wear plus good Tee Shirts, etc. I bought nothing on that Cruise! First time I've seen the Shops so empty, too, except for the days they had a jewelry sale!

We did 14 days on Veendam in December. Spent a lot of time in the Ocean Bar (happy hour and beyond) and I sorta watched that O shop across the way and rarely saw anyone even browsing. Of course there was no clerk there anyway.

I wonder what that vendor will do with all that clothing merchandise that has HAL logos. Toss them? Sell for less than they paid for them? Could be interesting situation.

Jim

Multiple clerks in the jewelry/watch shop on the Crown Princess in December exhibited extremely poor customer service. So bad, so disinterested, you just had to wonder if there was a problem higher up in their company.

I am not a shopper - but this past holiday cruise the front desk called on our last sea day to let us know that we had a chunk of on board credit left over that would disappear unless we chose to spend it.

Took two trips through the shops to find something that I was even remotely interested in - but spend it we did. Too bad I couldn't have found something that I really liked!

I used to enjoy looking at some of the items in the shops like the sea glass but there was none of that this trip.

I miss the floating cruise ship pens with the ship we were cruising on inside. I would buy one each cruise. Later I bought the key chains with the ship on them. All of that has been gone for a while. Too bad. They were inexpensive, small and rather nice souvenirs.

HAL on board shops are horrible. Go through them once and no need to return. I don't want 60% overpriced jewelry 20% perfumes & liquor and 20% HAL products. I want a large variety of one of a kind unique (not touristy) items - and change the inventory to make me shop every day! Just a suggestion.

• 1 month later...
We did 14 days on Veendam in December. Spent a lot of time in the Ocean Bar (happy hour and beyond) and I sorta watched that O shop across the way and rarely saw anyone even browsing. Of course there was no clerk there anyway.

I wonder what that vendor will do with all that clothing merchandise that has HAL logos. Toss them? Sell for less than they paid for them? Could be interesting situation.

Jim

Was on the same cruise and same bar and I agree too much "O" and one clerk for all stores it seemed;)

We had to buy lanyards on our first ever Cruise as wasn't aware of how everything worked (and hadn't found Cruisecritic at that point :-) )

I am surprised they don't have a few fiction books (other than the 'O' book club ones by the sounds of it) or a few magazines or something.

We are heading off on our second cruise in April for 22 nights on HAL Koningsdam so hoping the shop situation will be all sorted by then

The new contractors to run the HAL shops are Dufry for the perfumes, liquor, clothing and souvenirs and Sofia Fiori for the jewelry. They are replacing Starboard Cruise Services

Thank you. :)

Both have websites and Dufry seem to be in airports etc. Can't be worse than what is there at the moment.

Once again..Oprah gets dragged into a conversation that has NOTHING to do with her.

Which makes the claim "I don't have a problem with Oprah" even more ridiculous.

You are missing the boat. If Oprah shops are on board then it is part of the discussion of shops on board.

I get you are an Oprah fan but seriously? If shop space is taken up with "her stuff" it makes less room for things some might want to buy that don't have "Oprah" on them.

And for the record, while I admire her, I don't like wearing anyone's labels if I can avoid it ;)

The new contractors to run the HAL shops are Dufry for the perfumes, liquor, clothing and souvenirs and Sofia Fiori for the jewelry. They are replacing Starboard Cruise Services

One addendum to this; Starboard, the old company, still operates on six dam ships at this time, incl. Koningsdam