Cruising to Madeira with P&O

Hugosdad

Hi,

I am cruising on P&O Oriana to the Spanish Islands in a couple of week's time, and our first post of call is Madeira (which I do know is in Portugal):D

We are only there from early morning to late afternoon.

We are off to Reid's for Afternoon Tea, but has anyone got any other suggestions of what to see and do?

Thanks in advance.

Shame you are only there briefly,we had an overnight stop there on Britannia a few years ago,really liked the place.

We did the City Sightseeing HOHO tour which was very enjoyable,there were also some really nice eateries in the main square where we sat,ate & enjoyed listening to music.

Note the flower sellers in the town centre wearing traditional dresses, a local bye-law, no dress - no flower selling.

Note also the absence of large advertising hoadings spoiling the beautiful island, another bye-law. Compare with the other Atlantic Isles.

If you have time, have a good heart and feel brave, take a toboggan basket ride, a truly unique experience.

By the way, beware of Reids' dress code, you do not want to be turned away.

49 cruises 17 ships 3 liners

Madeira is a beautiful island. The first time we went there we took the cable car up the mountain, looked around the gardens, which were beautiful, and the took the wicker sledge back down. We had a brilliant day. We have been back several times since and taken local buses to various places.

I expect it depends where you dock, but last August it was more like a 30 minute walk from the cable car to the ship, and we're fit and active. P&O ran a shuttle from the ship to a drop-off point in the town centre and from there it was about 5 mins walk to the cable car. We visited the Monte Tropical Gardens which were fab, and beautifully cool on a very hot day. There was also a very interesting exhibition of African sculpture. The toboggan wasn't running and Monte church was closed (it was a Sunday and the day before a major public holiday). Walked back to the ship along the prom. If you're there on a weekday you can visit the port lodges in the centre for tasting.

I would echo what others have said. Madeira is lovely and was by far and away the highlight of our Canaries cruise. I thoroughly recommend the cable car to the top and wicker basket sledges back down. This is not for the faint hearted and would never pass health and safety scrutiny in the U.K., but we wouldn’t have missed it for the world. It was hysterical! How we missed the parked cars or avoided collision as we skidded across unmarked crossroads I shall never know, but it was highly enjoyable.

We travelled back to the ship in a tuktuk which took us all the way to the terminal building. Be aware that they don't all charge the same fare, we refused the first offer,

Yes, some charge the fee on the side for the ride while others it's per passenger which doubles the price.

Tuktuks are a good way to get around if you are less able or just tired. For information Reids,s is up at the top of a very steep hill. The afternoon tea is excellent, you will enjoy it.

Take the shuttle from the ship. It drops you in the best place possible. Definitely take the HOHO bus to see a bit of the island. If it were me I'd skip afternoon tea in order to walk around the old town. You can't go wrong in this port. Enjoy!

Take the shuttle from the ship. It drops you in the best place possible. Definitely take the HOHO bus to see a bit of the island. If it were me I'd skip afternoon tea in order to walk around the old town. You can't go wrong in this port. Enjoy!

Skip afternoon tea!!! For us it’s the only thing to do in Madeira. But have been so many times done everything.

Have been many times too and you are right to prioritise afternoon tea at Reid’s as nothing beats that. Both the hop on/off bus and cable car take you up the mountain but personally I prefer the cable car. Having said that the bus stops at Reid and the hill up there is murder so if you don’t have transportation to get there then I would perhaps combine the bus and Reid’s :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I am cruising on P&O Oriana to the Spanish Islands in a couple of week's time, and our first post of call is Madeira (which I do know is in Portugal):D

We are only there from early morning to late afternoon.

We are off to Reid's for Afternoon Tea, but has anyone got any other suggestions of what to see and do?

Thanks in advance.

Don't skip Reids the gardens are great and the views brilliant.

The afternoon tea is a real experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were at Reid's for afternoon tea in January when we were on our outward bound journey to South America on Aurora. I had booked by email for tea - assuming that's what you've done as you can then have a table on the terrace overlooking the sea. The P&O trip tends to be in a separate room, nowhere near as good. We got a taxi from the ship. After having tea you can have a look round the hotel, some fascinating photographs in the lower floor and, at the time, there were very interesting Christmas decorations still there too. We had a wonderful tea, glorious weather for the beginning of January. Hope you have an equally lovely experience.

We were at Reid's for afternoon tea in January when we were on our outward bound journey to South America on Aurora. I had booked by email for tea - assuming that's what you've done as you can then have a table on the terrace overlooking the sea. The P&O trip tends to be in a separate room, nowhere near as good. We got a taxi from the ship. After having tea you can have a look round the hotel, some fascinating photographs in the lower floor and, at the time, there were very interesting Christmas decorations still there too. We had a wonderful tea, glorious weather for the beginning of January. Hope you have an equally lovely experience.

When we stayed at Reids there were framed Picaso sketches on the wall of the main lounge. Sketches of the hotel he did on tablecloths. Though they have refurbished since I cannot imagine they got rid of them. They were also strict that the gardens were for residents only. That may have changed. The terrace is definitely the best place for tea.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums