Comparing Regent and PG Cruises

scuba diver

Last cruised the Paul Gauguin when it was Regent’s ship in June of 2008. Booked again for June of 2019. We have noticed a few changes in the various descriptions of the ship and service. Can anyone who has sailed under the old Regent flag and the present organization provide a comparison and/or a run down on the differences?

If anything it is better. The company has a real commitment to rehabilitating the Polynesian culture and preserving the environment. Some of their efforts they don't publicise very much, but some of them show up on the ship.

In terms of the cruise experience, the attention to detail and attentiveness and friendliness of the staff are at least as good as before, probably better.

This ship itself is almost 20 years old, but, based on last being aboard in October, she isn't showing her age. For me, she is at least as gorgeous as she was my first time in 2000.

I, of course, agree with David. Our first and second Radisson cruises were aboard the Paul Gauguin. After the initial experience where we were totally blown away, we took two more PG cruise with Regent managing the ship, and the quality declined somewhat, or at least was spotty. Now we've done two cruises under the new management, and I agree, that the quality is, if anything, higher. Staff, dining, service, cultural enrichment, all is great. The ship is as it was, which means it can't be as luxurious as the new Regent Explorer (which I have not been on), but for my money, this is a wonderful luxury experience.

...Our first and second Radisson cruises were aboard the Paul Gauguin. After the initial experience where we were totally blown away, we took two more PG cruise with Regent managing the ship ...

Just to clarify some history for newcomers: the cruise division of Radisson changed their name to Regent, so they are largely synonyms.

I'm starting to look at a cruise on this line and I have taken a couple of cruises with Regent. David and Wendy, is there a particular itinerary that you would recommend on P&G? Also, time of year?

The standard 7-day Society Island cruise is lovely, although traveling all that distance to get to French Polynesia argues for either the standard 10-day cruise or spending a few days pre-cruise in a nice hotel. (or both!)

We once did back-to-back 7-day cruises, which was great. I will admit to some schadenfreude as I stood on the deck with a refreshing beverage at the end of the first week watching the passengers weeping and wailing as they were being frog marched off the ship. Of course 7 days later I was weeping and wailing in that throng.

The Marquesas are spectacular. The Cook Islands are very interesting, although we only could visit one of them in October because of the weather.

So ... since you may want a single recommendation I with some difficulty choose the Marquesas. But whatever you choose, you really can't go wrong.

I'm starting to look at a cruise on this line and I have taken a couple of cruises with Regent. David and Wendy, is there a particular itinerary that you would recommend on P&G? Also, time of year?

No bad choices though I agree with David .... a long trip for only 7 days. Either a longer cruise or a 3 day pre-cruise stay.

my 2 cents re Regent vs PG

We've been on 9 cruises stretching back to 2002. Although Regent and Radisson same entity, in 2006, the ship was purchased by Grand Circle/Vantage, (with Regent managing). There was a marked difference in the quality of the food and the crew was seemed unhappy. The beloved Captain was replaced (by GC) and several long term employees were let go. Also, Grand Circle had a large group on board and repeatedly closed venues for their private use. This went well beyond anything we had experienced with a private shipboard party previously (Veranda closed off for a night, La Palatte, etc) and the attitude was something akin to 'too bad, we're the owners, should consider booking through us next time.' We thought that was it for us and the PG. A couple of years later, after reading some better reviews (and missing FP) we tried again (10/2008) and things were better than previously but not as good as pre Grand Circle. Friends on board confirmed that when GC first took over they slashed the food budget; it was an embarassment for them. I guess Regent balked and some additional budget was offered but it was not what it was.

In 2009 (I think towards end of year) Beachcomber bought the ship (current owners & management) and we have been back a couple of times. We have been so pleased with what they have strived to achieve. In our opinion, the service has never been better. The ship has been very well maintained, the focus on the local culture is inspiring and the quality of the food is very good. There are some things we miss (human sized spectacular tropical flower arrangements, oysters on halfshell in L'Etoile, caviar at repeaters party) but these things seem trivial in comparison to the overall experience and I trust that owners are striving to put forth the best possible experience within their budget.

For what it's worth... in terms of specular food, nothing can compare to our first cruise in 2002 when it sailed under the French flag. The wines, level of food, desserts were incredible but it wasn't all inclusive bar and the service level was not what it is today.

In short, Scuba Diver, you're in for a great cruise, would be interested in hearing about your experiences upon return. You didn't indicate which itinerary you're on but it you have any questions about the ship's offerings for scuba, we have done them all (except for Fakarava which was not on the tuamotus itinerary when we were there).

Cheers!

I strongly agree with Sita's comments.

There is one thing related to them that one should consider in reading various reviews of various cruises on these boards. There was one PG cruise under the GC (which we call "Circle Jerk") regime where half the ship was booked for high achievers for a big resto chain. The ship was full of alpha males and their trophy wives, and us ordinary folks were treated as second-class citizens. Closed venues and worse.

If this had been my first PG cruise, it would have been my last. If it had been my first ever cruise on any ship, it would have been my last. Luckily for me, neither of these were true. But beware a sample size of only one.

my 2 cents re Regent vs PG

We've been on 9 cruises stretching back to 2002. ...

For what it's worth... in terms of specular food, nothing can compare to our first cruise in 2002 when it sailed under the French flag. The wines, level of food, desserts were incredible but it wasn't all inclusive bar and the service level was not what it is today.

+ 1 for Sita, great summary. And I also agree that nothing has compared to the dining we had on our first PG cruise in 2000. But I believe the service then was every bit as good as it currently is under the new management.

I too agree with Sita!

Sailed when it was Radisson, Regent, Vantage and PG cruises as well from 2003 with the all french Capt. And senior officers to 2017.

I think it fair to say compared to Regent, the ship, washrooms, linens etc are a but tired. But, the warmth of the staff makes up for this in a big way.