Easy Solution for Expiration Dates on Coffee Cards

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:51 AM.
#1
Michigan
10,347 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
I know that the new coffee cards have expiration dates (I'm still not clear what the status of my "old" cards without them will be - but that's another issue).
People are rightly upset that if you get one in the latter half of the year you have a lot less time to use them than if you get them in the first part of the year.
Since Princess stamps or prints the date you get the card on it why not just have the expiration date be "12 months from date of issue".
They should also clarify whether the punches expire in 12 months or just the "free" (included) coffee and/or tea.

I'm always baffled when there seems to be a simple solution that has gone unnoticed in a situation like this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack

#3
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by chamima
I know that the new coffee cards have expiration dates (I'm still not clear what the status of my "old" cards without them will be - but that's another issue).
People are rightly upset that if you get one in the latter half of the year you have a lot less time to use them than if you get them in the first part of the year.
Since Princess stamps or prints the date you get the card on it why not just have the expiration date be "12 months from date of issue".
They should also clarify whether the punches expire in 12 months or just the "free" (included) coffee and/or tea.

I'm always baffled when there seems to be a simple solution that has gone unnoticed in a situation like this.
Honestly that would be a solution for the frequent cruisers but what about the people who only cruise say once every 2 years or so? It's still not fair to them.
Where should they draw the line?
With a few of the other minor cutbacks I've noticed this is just another money grabber program they hope the general public won't notice or get too upset about.
I made my feeling known to the food & beverage manager last cruise & the only comment was that they would buy back the unused cards or allot $20 each towards a bottle of wine. Since I don't drink their overpriced wine, I'll sell them on eBay for $20 each.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
#4
USA
8,176 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by floridalover5623
Honestly that would be a solution for the frequent cruisers but what about the people who only cruise say once every 2 years or so? It's still not fair to them.
Where should they draw the line?
With a few of the other minor cutbacks I've noticed this is just another money grabber program they hope the general public won't notice or get too upset about.
I made my feeling known to the food & beverage manager last cruise & the only comment was that they would buy back the unused cards or allot $20 each towards a bottle of wine. Since I don't drink their overpriced wine, I'll sell them on eBay for $20 each.
Not right to get paid for something and than decide they have the right to take it away. Just like restaurant gift cards that expire at a certain time in the future.
#5
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Micah's Grandad
Not right to get paid for something and than decide they have the right to take it away. Just like restaurant gift cards that expire at a certain time in the future.
Not only that but instead of reducing the value of the card a little each month they just confiscate the remaining value at the end of the year.
It's actually the worst type of penalty I've seen for a prepaid card of any sort.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
#6
pa
7,738 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Seems to me the "solution" lies more with technology then printing or writing an expiration date on a card. Something like buy 10 espresso drinks, the 11th is no charge. Basically that is what a coffee card does. Selling the brewed coffee/tea option as a separate package. Instead of a paper card, have information controlled by your cruise card or medallion.
#7
12,014 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by sknight
Seems to me the "solution" lies more with technology then printing or writing an expiration date on a card. Something like buy 10 espresso drinks, the 11th is no charge. Basically that is what a coffee card does. Selling the brewed coffee/tea option as a separate package. Instead of a paper card, have information controlled by your cruise card or medallion.
Don't suggest this to Princess....however they decide to work it will undoubtedly benefit the cruise line and not the user. We often cruise another line that has a "buy 6, the 7th is free" punch card that the barista issues the first time a cruiser shows up with no card. They DO roll them over from one cruise to the next.
#8
Michigan
10,347 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Originally posted by floridalover5623
Not only that but instead of reducing the value of the card a little each month they just confiscate the remaining value at the end of the year.
It's actually the worst type of penalty I've seen for a prepaid card of any sort.

Is there any chance that Princess only meant for the ability to use the card for free coffee and tea would expire in a year - NOT that all of the punches would expire?
Someone on a trip report said that he was told that on his cruise.
Maybe it wasn't explained well to the crew and they misunderstood?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack

#9
Wildcat Country!
1,627 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by chamima
I know that the new coffee cards have expiration dates (I'm still not clear what the status of my "old" cards without them will be - but that's another issue).
People are rightly upset that if you get one in the latter half of the year you have a lot less time to use them than if you get them in the first part of the year.
Since Princess stamps or prints the date you get the card on it why not just have the expiration date be "12 months from date of issue".
They should also clarify whether the punches expire in 12 months or just the "free" (included) coffee and/or tea.

I'm always baffled when there seems to be a simple solution that has gone unnoticed in a situation like this.
It's little things like this that makes me know it's about money and nothing else. Even though coffee cards are basically free for them, costs them pennies on the card.
#10
Long Island, New York
4,388 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Geez....it's a coffee card! So, if it lasts only one week...who cares? Princess is a business and yes, they want to make a profit. Drink more coffee, share the card to use up the punches, or drink tea. We're not talking about a lot of money. It's an option...opt out!
#11
12,014 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by chamima
Is there any chance that Princess only meant for the ability to use the card for free coffee and tea would expire in a year - NOT that all of the punches would expire?
Someone on a trip report said that he was told that on his cruise.
Maybe it wasn't explained well to the crew and they misunderstood?
This is totally possible, but is not what passengers are currently being told most of the time. The entire thing was poorly handled by Princess. They began printing an unclear message on the card and didn't retrain their personnel. Interpreted in the most strict way possible, the entire card expires on the printed date. Whether that was the intent or not is anyone's guess.
#12
Lihue HI & Calimesa CA
5,820 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by chamima
Is there any chance that Princess only meant for the ability to use the card for free coffee and tea would expire in a year - NOT that all of the punches would expire?
Someone on a trip report said that he was told that on his cruise.
Maybe it wasn't explained well to the crew and they misunderstood?
That changes the way it's currently done (until this new date thing came up).
The "old" way was the free tea/coffee was good until the end of the cruise.
#14
Long Island, New York
4,388 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by Larlin
Aren't we talking about $35? With what we spend on the cruise, doesn't that seem rather trivial? Just asking.....
Exactly!!
#15
midwest
4,462 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Larlin
Aren't we talking about $35? With what we spend on the cruise, doesn't that seem rather trivial? Just asking.....
I consider it a one cruise purchase. More expensive for a week cruise but a great deal for a 28 day cruise.
Things change. Would you rather have them increase the cruise cost? They are in the business to make money.
How many times has your favorite coffee shop raised their coffee prices?
That is part of life.
#17
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by moki'smommy
This is totally possible, but is not what passengers are currently being told most of the time. The entire thing was poorly handled by Princess. They began printing an unclear message on the card and didn't retrain their personnel. Interpreted in the most strict way possible, the entire card expires on the printed date. Whether that was the intent or not is anyone's guess.
No, they meant exactly what is says. The cards are useless after the expiration date.
It sad to see Princess deteriorating before my eyes. I'd rather see a slight increase in their cruise rates then have them chip away at our benefits.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
#18
12,014 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by JF - retired RRT
That changes the way it's currently done (until this new date thing came up).
The "old" way was the free tea/coffee was good until the end of the cruise.
And that is where a lot of the confusion is coming in. How can you print on the card that it expires on 12/31/18 and then try to claim that part of it expires at the end of the cruise but the other part expires on the printed date? Unless wording to that effect is added, it makes no sense. As printed, one could claim that the entire card expires on the printed date. It won't affect me, but I can see why people are upset.
#19
Tamar valley, Cornwall
162 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Surely it just needs to be clearer on the card. I would assume that both the punches and the free coffee entitlement expire on the date printed. Is this not so?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#20
League City, TX
41,022 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by chamima
I know that the new coffee cards have expiration dates (I'm still not clear what the status of my "old" cards without them will be - but that's another issue).
People are rightly upset that if you get one in the latter half of the year you have a lot less time to use them than if you get them in the first part of the year.
Since Princess stamps or prints the date you get the card on it why not just have the expiration date be "12 months from date of issue".
They should also clarify whether the punches expire in 12 months or just the "free" (included) coffee and/or tea.

I'm always baffled when there seems to be a simple solution that has gone unnoticed in a situation like this.
Princess does not put the date of purchase on the card. They do put the ship name and the voyage number. The unlimited brewed coffee expires at the end of that voyage. So any expiration date now added to the card has no effect on that aspect of having the card.