Do P&O Still Provide Some Port Information

tring

Have not been on a P&O cruise for two to three years. Do they still provide maps and basic details of ports to be visited? We are doing a 24 night Med cruise on Oceana in Oct and just want to make this a relaxing holiday and potter round most (if not all) ports.

I usually try to print out port maps and get port details before we travel, but are wondering how important this will be for this cruise. We have land holidays over the next year with lots of places we want to see (in Russia, Myanmar, Thailand) which will need lots of research, so will need a relaxing break on this one.

hi there,

p&o do have the maps and details of the ports that your cruise will visit . they will be in the welcome pack in your room when you board.

they also do port talks during the sea days when on board, these are also shown on the TV's in your room on the main channel.

also, you will get a chance six weeks before you go to view the shore excursions on the cruise personaliser (sp?) on line. hope this helps.:)

To be honest, the maps you get in the Welcome pack leave a lot to be desired and I really do think that is an area where P&O could improve. The port talks are good normally even if they are basically a sales pitch for excursions, they usually contain some useful information.

We usually foond better maps at the actual port if you have time to browse around, most are free too.

To be honest, the maps you get in the Welcome pack leave a lot to be desired and I really do think that is an area where P&O could improve. The port talks are good normally even if they are basically a sales pitch for excursions, they usually contain some useful information.

We usually foond better maps at the actual port if you have time to browse around, most are free too.

As a geographer I totally agree they are bordering on being useless.

Much better to look for the local information people when you get off the ship. You can always look on line before you go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the replies. Good to know there is still some details given out on board, though must admit it never was of a lot of use.

Yes some ports do give out good maps, but recently we have been to very unusual cruise ports were often no tourist information at all is available. I was being a bit daft there though, as since this is a Med cruise and the ports will be well visited, there should be tourist info, including maps, available at all ports.

Just feeling a bit thick now about asking this question - may be I will be in a better state of mind tomorrow :)

Cheers,

Barbara

I find the port talks very useful (shown in cabin on the TV if you miss the theatre presentation) but the maps are dreadful. However, in most ports there is someone giving out maps and pointing you in the direction of hoho buses etc when you get off.

I tend to look out for a tourist info kiosk at port entrance. Some of the Med coastal ports don't really need a map if you just want to explore.

I also look out for HOHO buses which not only give me a quick tour of main highlights but also a map. I tend to stay on the bus to do the circuit and then if I have time, look to visit one or more attractions.

To be honest, I don't rely on the maps or the information provided by the cruise line. Sometimes I look at the excursions on offer and they sometimes provides clues to what the main attractions are. I then look to see if it is just as easy to do it myself.

Agree with that about the port leaflets. Just come back off Ventura and in none of the ports did we find the map in the least helpful. Think is time they gave them a thorough review and update.

We don't find the port talks very helpful though. A couple of years ago we had a presenter who I think was called Paul and his talks were packed with useful information. The ones on Ventura this time were just a sales pitch for P&O tours and no help at all for how to DIY in port. we went down a couple of times to ask fairly general questions and the shore excursions staff were no help.

Must admit I have not been impressed worth P&O port talks in the past, but will hope to see them anyway - at least they usually tell us where they will be docking.

I do have a link for Tom's port guides on favorites and will take a look at ones that are available, but do not intend to study them like I usually do for this cruise. As I said previously, I realised after I posted this question that Med ports visited by, what for us a a big ship, should have tourist info details/maps available ashore. When cruising we often visit places that are rarely called at by cruise ships (on small ships) and that sort of info is not available in those places..

Nice to know I can just relax and enjoy this cruise,

Thanks again to all who have replied to my question,

Barbara