Dancing of the ships

DutchCruiseFan

I hope LB gets a Conquest or Dream class ship. It would be nice for another ship to come west and port in SD. Last month while on a HAL Alaska cruise several locals spoke about much bigger ships coming to Alaska. I hope Triumph doesn't get a Sunshine upgrade but with a 2 month dry dock that sounds likely.

My working theory is that the Magic will be replacing the Splendor. Based on crew deployment.

I would tend to agree with you since Magic will be repositioning from Port Canaveral to Miami next year. Vista 3 would then backfill Magic's spot in Miami in late 2019.

The dancing for 2020 will depend on whether there are any deletions. While a ship could be sold or transferred st anytime, it makes sense to part with one when it's up for drydock. Elation just had balconies added, so she should be safe in 2020, especially since she will be only 22 years old. Ecstasy would not surprise me, since she will be 29 years old and due for drydock in 2020. Fantasy will be in drydock January 3-16, 2019, so if Carnival were parting with her, it most likely would have been announced. We already know Tampa is going up a ship in 2018, so Fantasy should be safe through 2022.

If Ecstasy gets dropped, I'd expect Sensation (also due for drydock in 2020) to move to Charleston.

If Carnival drops two ships, which Carnival can still do and manage an increase in total capacity with the new ship in 2020, I'd expect Ecstasy and Sensation to get dropped. Victory repositions from Miami to Long Beach, and Imagination or Inspiration heads to Charleston.

If everyone is safe in 2020, Carnival could either add/add back a port like Norfolk or an existing port gets an extra ship.

But the end of the article is what everyone on here is taking about. Carnival Australia will have two year around ship as opposed to one plus the Legend for half the year. Either Legend will be down there year around or another Carnival ship will have to take its place.

My guess is that the Spirit and Legend will homeport in Sydney and Brisbane year-round, respectively as a new terminal capable of handling larger ships is opening in Brisbane in time for the Fall 2019 season.

The Splendor will probably replace the Legend in Alaska as it has the retractable glass roof over one of the pools. In addition, the ship could possibly go to Australia/New Zealand for cruises during the peak summer season Down Under.

My guess is that the Spirit and Legend will homeport in Sydney and Brisbane year-round, respectively as a new terminal capable of handling larger ships is opening in Brisbane in time for the Fall 2019 season.

The Splendor will probably replace the Legend in Alaska as it has the retractable glass roof over one of the pools. In addition, the ship could possibly go to Australia/New Zealand for cruises during the peak summer season Down Under.

Although Splendor is doing an Alaska cruise as a journeys cruise... it does not have the Azipods which makes it not an ideal Ship for regular Alaska cruise season... they need the maneuvering that Azipods provide ... my money is still on Splendor going to Australia... The closed roof pool is also attractive to Asia market as they prefer not to get too much sun. I think a Conquest class will replace Splendor in Long Beach, Glory or Valor....

Although Splendor is doing an Alaska cruise as a journeys cruise... it does not have the Azipods which makes it not an ideal Ship for regular Alaska cruise season... they need the maneuvering that Azipods provide ... my money is still on Splendor going to Australia... The closed roof pool is also attractive to Asia market as they prefer not to get too much sun. I think a Conquest class will replace Splendor in Long Beach, Glory or Valor....

Good catch! I didn't think about the Azipods. With that said, wouldn't that be a downgrade though as the Splendor is newer than the Conquest class?

I guess a Dream or Vista class ship could feasibly depart from LGB. Could those ships fit under the Bridge of Americas?? :confused:

Carnival Dream has an air draft of 203 feet, which puts it over the limit of 201 feet for the Bridge of the Americas. There might be a way around the limit by making the pass at low tide and/or higher speed, but officially, the Dream class is off limits.

Carnival Sunshine has an air draft of 195 feet - or at least did when she was the Destiny - so she could make the trip. I doubt that's changed given the unusual design of the Carnival funnel.

Then again, Carnival could send a ship around South America again. Another option would be to run an eastbound "World Cruise" through the Indian and Pacific Oceans (and Atlantic if repositioning any existing Vista or Dream class ship).