Is this a good price on a suite for a solo crusier

jaw62901

Hi,

I am trying to get a good price for me to go solo on a cruise in December. I have found one, but am not sure if it is a good deal or not since I am new to this. Here is the information about the cruise. Just to let you know I am using a TA who came highly recommended for getting solo cruisers good deals.

Cruise Line: Holland America Ship: Westerdam

DeparturePort: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Ports of Call: At Sea;Cozumel, Mexico;Fort Lauderdale, Florida;Georgetown, Grand Cayman;Half Moon Cay, Bahamas;Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Sailing Dates: December 11, 2005 to December 18, 2005

Category S – Suite

Deluxe Verandah Suite: 2 lower beds convertible to 1 king size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath and shower and additional shower stall, large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, one sofa bed, VCR, floor-to-ceiling windows.

Category Rates

1st Passenger $2,477.00

Port Charges Included

Taxes and Fees Included

Total Price $2,477.00

Thanks,

To me that price sounds good. We recently priced a room for just my mom and it wasn't a suite. I think it was an inside room for eight nights and I want to say it was in the $2000 range. She decided not to go.

kitty9,

I have been looking since October and had chances of paying $3000-$4000+ on a suite and decided no way. So I go ahead an make reservations for Walt Disney World in May and then I find this deal. Isn't this how it always is. You look and look and find nothing and then you stop looking and it falls right in your lap.

Gingee,

That is very true. I can always get to WDW for the amount I was getting, but from what I have seen, it isn't offton that a solo cruiser can get a Category S suite for $2400. To bad I have to wait until Dec 11, 2005 to go.

nitnyleo,

How did you guess and isn't she the best.

We decided last year that because she couldn't find a good deal on a suite for me and since I wasn't going until Dec 05, we would suspend looking until something good came up in 2005. Like I mentioned before, it is interesting how things fall in your lap when you least expect them.

I don't know if I will find something cheaper later on or not.

Make sure your agent will honor all price reductions up til sailing. That way you can get the new price if it comes down any- you will just have to keep an eye for it.

I have always booked a year out for my cruises and have paid very low prices. My last few cruises never did go down but went higher and higer. THe Miracle almost doubled in price for what we paid.

serene56,

That is why once this great deal came about, I wanted to get my reservation in. I would say by August or September when people are starting to look again at November and December vacations, this will be when the rate jumps.

Beth,

I got that price off the TA's website and she confirmed it as being for 1 person. I believe she is working on it now because I told her that I would take either of the two aft category S suites and when I checked this morning one of them is no longer available to book.

This is an average price, and the suite you will stay in is very nice...I stayed out on the balcony a lot..very relaxing....

How old are you, may I ask? My experience of HAL was that I preferred staying in my cabin than partake in the very limited activities and limited passengers under 70. If you are younger, I may rethink cruise lines.....

Depends what you want. If you are 65+ you will undoubtedly have a wonderful time as all activities/music etc are geared more for that age group. That was just my own personal experience following a cruise I took with HAL 2 months ago.

sheilb4,

I am 31, and the reason that I got an category S aft suite is so I can sit out on the balcony and just relax. I figured why not relax in style. My plan is to lay out on a deck chair and get some sun as I relax with no worries. I am sure I will get of the ship and look around and stuff, but have been wanting to go on a cruise for a while and now I get my chance.

I did the same thing Jason...It was certainly relaxing, but did feel quite lonely at times, especially in the evenings, when you see everyone, families, couples etc having fun together....aside from that it was a nice relaxing time. You will enjoy it enormously I am sure, and will get the cruise "bug"!

I have been to all the ports you visit, many times, and I know you will enjoy your first experiences of them. Check the ports of call board on here for info on each port...worth reading to pick up lots of tips...

sheilb4,

I travel all the time by myself and love it. Sure I would have fun if someone went with, but it doesn't bother me either way. By traveling solo, I can do whatever I want to without having to worry about what the other person wants to do.

I actually asked around work and friends to see if someone wanted to go with me since I got such a great deal on the suite but had no takers. They were only needing to pay the port costs and there airfare and I was covering the rest.

Glad to see you found something that you're comfortable with. On a side note, you may find that you'll use the balcony less than you think you might during the day. Your itinerary is fairly port intensive, so you may not want to "relax" on the balcony while passengers from other ships are staring at you right across the dock. I like having a balcony in general, but rarely do I spend much time out there (and I spend a LOT of time in my cabin usually).

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy!

Archived