Viking Bridge Crash in Vienna

woodofpine

couldn't find anything on this site re:Viking or bridge crash

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

• 8 years later...

We were on this cruise:

We were heading into Budapest on the last night when around 4am we were woke up by a loud bang and the ship rocking (these ships to not rock), I jumped out of bed and looked out the window and could see a bridge abrutment in front of me with alot of scraping on the side of the boat. Since we were on the bottom level I told Ken to get his clothes on that we were getting out and going up to the top level. We ran to our friends across the hall and told them we just hit a bridge that we would meet them on the top. The crew were trying to calm people down. We told them we would be on the top level. When it started to get light, we went around and picked up chairs and trays. The bar was a mess. Liquor bottles were broken and glass everywhere. We were the first ones up so we got to see most of the mess before they blocked off everything. On the side that was hit, it smashed in the side above water level and cracked the window of one of the cabins. After a day and alot of inspections we were allowed to continue on to Budapest.

We were told that they lost power and couldn't control the steering. This was why we hit the bridge sideways.

Other than that we had a great time.

Carol

Which ship were you on?

We were on this cruise:

We were heading into Budapest on the last night when around 4am we were woke up by a loud bang and the ship rocking (these ships to not rock), I jumped out of bed and looked out the window and could see a bridge abrutment in front of me with alot of scraping on the side of the boat. Since we were on the bottom level I told Ken to get his clothes on that we were getting out and going up to the top level. We ran to our friends across the hall and told them we just hit a bridge that we would meet them on the top. The crew were trying to calm people down. We told them we would be on the top level. When it started to get light, we went around and picked up chairs and trays. The bar was a mess. Liquor bottles were broken and glass everywhere. We were the first ones up so we got to see most of the mess before they blocked off everything. On the side that was hit, it smashed in the side above water level and cracked the window of one of the cabins. After a day and alot of inspections we were allowed to continue on to Budapest.

We were told that they lost power and couldn't control the steering. This was why we hit the bridge sideways.

Other than that we had a great time.

Carol

We were on the Viking River Boat Oden. The accident happened on June 1st, 2012, 2 weeks ago. The ship is one of the newest ships of Viking, 3 months old. We were about an hour by bus from Budapest when we hit a bridge. Couldn't tell you where we were at because we didn't write the name of the town down.

The crew were very professional. They went way beyond what was necessary. We had breakfast on time. They got buses for us to head on to Budapest for our tour and lunch. When we returned back to the boat, after seeing Budapest, our ship had been inspected and was safe to continue on to Budapest.

Would I go on another Viking Cruise? Yes I would, especially the Viking Oden.

Carol Mitchell

They got buses for us to head on to Budapest for our tour and lunch. When we returned back to the boat, after seeing Budapest, our ship had been inspected and was safe to continue on to Budapest.

Why were you going "back" to the boat if the boat is going to you (at Budapest) anyway?

Why were you going "back" to the boat if the boat is going to you (at Budapest) anyway?

They were not finished with the inspections until after we returned. It was not clear weather the boat would be able to continue to Budapest so it was much easier for us to stay with the boat until we got the ok to continue. A hour drive back to the ship was easier on us. We had no luggage, no place to stay until the boat docked in Budapest in the middle of the night. Instead we enjoyed a wonderful dinner with our new friends and were intertained by folk dancers and singers which were brought to the boat.

Carol

A hour drive back to the ship was easier on us. We had no luggage, no place to stay until the boat docked in Budapest in the middle of the night. Instead we enjoyed a wonderful dinner with our new friends and were intertained by folk dancers and singers which were brought to the boat.

You missed seeing Budapest at night which is magical. The farytale castle lit up in flood light...

But I'm glad you're able to look at the bright side of thing. It helps to have good attitude to go with the flow.

Archived