Live from QE's 2014 World Voyage

Scrapnana

It still amazes me that you in Melbourne and I in Hawaii can watch something live in New York. Today's technology is so fantastic.

Hope the heat in Melbourne has cooled down a bit. We experienced it one time when we were there and we were toasted.

It still amazes me that you in Melbourne and I in Hawaii can watch something live in New York. Today's technology is so fantastic.

Hope the heat in Melbourne has cooled down a bit. We experienced it one time when we were there and we were toasted.

And I, here in South Carolina, did the same, waving, and snapping webcam "grabs" for my friend who is onboard. And sighing as I remember making that sail under the bridge both in daylight and at night on QM2.

I suppose that sometime late Sunday night or early Monday morning I could go stand out on our beach and wave out to sea as they pass our shores but frankly it's been a bit chilly here to go to that bother.;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted land trips in my own stunning country

Oct 2012....OBX

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

2013...5 months at our summer home on Cape Cod....priceless!

Several North Atlantic crossings from childhood thru college on ships of the old Norwegian America line and Swedish America Line...RIP to those marvelous old ships

I know...technology! I kept imagining that everyone was up on top waiting to sail under the bridge or having dinner or seeing a show....interesting.

Yes, thank God, the heat wave broke on Friday! I do not do well in heat...my poor husband has to deal with me being very grumpy! So we have spent all weekend catching up on descent sleep!

On a side note (small world)...I used to be stationed in Honolulu back in the late 80s and early 90s when I was in the Navy. Since then been there a couple of times as a tourist (land tour)! Love Honolulu!

And I, here in South Carolina, did the same, waving, and snapping webcam "grabs" for my friend who is onboard. And sighing as I remember making that sail under the bridge both in daylight and at night on QM2.

I suppose that sometime late Sunday night or early Monday morning I could go stand out on our beach and wave out to sea as they pass our shores but frankly it's been a bit chilly here to go to that bother.;)

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

Oct 2012....OBX

Several North Atlantic crossings from childhood thru college on ships of the old Norwegian America line and Swedish America Line...RIP to those marvelous old ships

Yes, three different areas! So interesting! I was just asking someone earlier how they took pictures of the webcam! I still have not figured it out. Do you click something on the webcam page or on your computer? I am not the best at computer tech stuff.

I was just telling my husband that now we have to watch the FLL webcam in a few days. Where are you in SC? Must be close to the beach. As I was just saying to Oahucruiser, I used to be stationed in Honolulu...and now to tell you I was also stationed in Charleston even before that ...around early 1980s. It is a small world indeed!

Yes, three different areas! So interesting! I was just asking someone earlier how they took pictures of the webcam! I still have not figured it out. Do you click something on the webcam page or on your computer? I am not the best at computer tech stuff.

I was just telling my husband that now we have to watch the FLL webcam in a few days. Where are you in SC? Must be close to the beach. As I was just saying to Oahucruiser, I used to be stationed in Honolulu...and now to tell you I was also stationed in Charleston even before that ...around early 1980s. It is a small world indeed!

Small world indeed!! I am only an hour north of Charleston on a lovely island. The Low COuntry is a wonderful place to live and probably prepared you for that heat Oahucruiser mentioned in Melbourne.;)

Well, I don't know as I can explain this properly for you but I'll try. Of course being on a Mac computer this might be different on a PC. With my left hand I hold down the Command key and the shift key and at the same time with my right hand hit the #4 key. That produces a funny little icon thing ( I'm not at all computer literate as most will tell you) that you place on the top left of the photo with your curser. You then drag that across the photo ( it creates a box) and then down, release at the bottom of the photo and it shows up on your desk top as a photo. It's not hard, just sounds odd to describe....good luck.

Cheers, Penny

Oct 2012....OBX

Small world indeed!! I am only an hour north of Charleston on a lovely island. The Low COuntry is a wonderful place to live and probably prepared you for that heat Oahucruiser mentioned in Melbourne.;)

Well, I don't know as I can explain this properly for you but I'll try. Of course being on a Mac computer this might be different on a PC. With my left hand I hold down the Command key and the shift key and at the same time with my right hand hit the #4 key. That produces a funny little icon thing ( I'm not at all computer literate as most will tell you) that you place on the top left of the photo with your curser. You then drag that across the photo ( it creates a box) and then down, release at the bottom of the photo and it shows up on your desk top as a photo. It's not hard, just sounds odd to describe....good luck.

Cheers, Penny

Oct 2012....OBX

Yes, when I was in Charleston it was awful, heat and humidity wise! Of course I was also pregnant there and the papermill smell was so revolting! Nothing could have prepared me to the heat of this past week...I am older and less tolerant of heat these days.:(

I tried what you suggested and it did not work on the PC, but thanks for trying! I figured it out...had to go to help menu. The function I have to use is the "snipping tool". Haven't figured out how to have it readily available without going thru the help menu but at least I can do it now! Thanks for your help.

Edited by alibabacruisers

On a PC you click on the picture then right click and select save image. It's easier on a tablet where you just keep pressing and it then allows you to 'save image'.

I saved this one of QM2 on my iPhone

tava2ygu.jpg

So a few more people embarked in NY. Including the infamous Mr Whitemarsh. No doubt he is currently very pleased.

Edited by Pushka

Can anyone tell if, in the pubs and bars, there have been American football games? Now that the QE is cruising into American waters, we Yanks who have not boarded yet are curious if they are televising the NFL playoffs....noting the Superbowl will be approaching in February when we are somewhere in the South Pacific. Note to the Brits- we Americans may refer to your football as soccer; for us, football is NFL. Sorry.....:( Gary and Andrea

Interestingly, our Excursion Brochure has just arrived (QM2)and shows excursions for Safarga but NOT for Suez where we have previously had excursions to Cairo and the Pyramids.

Suez is only a navigational itinety.

In reality there were only three of us on the aft of deck 9 waving as we went under the VN bridge. I saw two people up on deck 10. It was really cold and my fingers got so cold (even though I had gloves on) I had a hard time snapping pictures. After watching so many ships sail under the bridge, I had to be out on the deck sailing in and sailing away.

Can anyone tell if, in the pubs and bars, there have been American football games? Now that the QE is cruising into American waters, we Yanks who have not boarded yet are curious if they are televising the NFL playoffs....noting the Superbowl will be approaching in February when we are somewhere in the South Pacific. Note to the Brits- we Americans may refer to your football as soccer; for us, football is NFL. Sorry.....:( Gary and Andrea

The game between the Patriots and the Broncos is showing in the Golden Lion Pub at 3 pm today, so you will get American football.

Thank you Penny. As a Mac user, I really appreciate this. For other screen shots on a Mac, place the cursor on the page you want and then press ctrl-shift-cmd-4-space. The camera icon appears. Click, and the image is saved to your clipboard.

OK you lot thoroughly enjoying yourselves on this trip, we folks living vicariously need an update here. How was the meet and greet? Numbers? Gossip? Details for formal nights. Anything? :o

Our second Meet and Greet was well attended - about 20-25. We welcomed our new people who embarked in New York.

I have been very pleased with the well dressed people. Last night was the first night that I saw two people who were not quite adhering to the dress code - one had on a jacket but it was more a windbreaker and the other had on very nice pants but, up close, they were blue denim. I don't know if either of these people actually ate in the MDR - I saw them in other places.

I haven't heard much in gossip.

OK you lot thoroughly enjoying yourselves on this trip, we folks living vicariously need an update here. How was the meet and greet? Numbers? Gossip? Details for formal nights. Anything? :o

Hey Pushka,

I have heard a few things:

1) Last night a reliable source informed me that a man (apparently known to enjoy a drink) got aggressive with another man in Churchill's and there was some kind of altercation that resulted in a broken chair. From what I remember of the story, the victim was pushed back on his chair and fell over (which is how the chair was broken) but don't quote me on that. The reported aggressor wasn't seen the next day (we thought perhaps he'd been locked in his room) but he was seen walking around on deck today. Apparently he likes to start controversial conversations on religion and politics - essentially he appears to be looking for a fight. I wasn't there, so this is all second hand.

2) One of the aft suites on deck five received a call at 4:30 in the morning from Purser's Desk requesting access to the suite because a crucial access panel (to some kind of pipe) was located there. The occupants agreed and shortly after, when the knock on the door came, there were six men standing there waiting to get into the room - so that would have been unexpected for the occupants. It turned out that a water pipe had burst on deck five resulting in a deluge of water cascading down on six cabins at the stern of the ship on deck four. Reportedly the six cabins had to be vacated to allow for the carpet to be replaced and all sorts of rectifications to be completed. The occupants were relocated elsewhere and have since returned to their cabins. Again, this is just what I have heard.

Reflections on the first couple of days:

Dress code - everyone is getting into the spirit of things and they all look great. Essentially, everyone is adhering to the evening's dress code. There have been no formal nights since I boarded in New York so I can't comment on that yet. Pleasingly, Cunard is enforcing the dress code as passengers who are in public areas like the Commodore Club after six, and are dressed casually (blue jeans and t-shirts), are being politely reminded about the dress code and asked to leave.

I went to the M&G on the 19th, which was hosted by lovely Maggiemou, (who is just as nice in person as you would imagine). It was remarked that I looked nothing like my avatar. Scrapnanna is organising a wave when the ship enters Fort Lauderdale. Participants have been asked to wear a red shirt (from memory) so they should be highly visible for anyone that is watching that cam.

Embarkation in New York was a shamozzle. The ship was late arriving, which had a cascading impact on everything that followed that day (or so I believe). I'm pretty relaxed about most things but even I thought embarkation was poorly organised. There was only one loudspeaker announcements and no one seemed to be telling the terminal staff what was going on - or they were telling them but the terminal staff were not communicating amongst themselves. There was no area for priority staff to wait, until one lady complained, and then they created one by having us sit on the opposite side of the terminal to the non- priority guests. This proved to be slightly awkward (sitting there looking at each other) so one of the Grills guests asked the terminal staff to have the non-priority guests turn around and face the other way (just kidding). After sitting and waiting for ages we didn't get our priority boarding as the terminal staff stuffed up again and let the wheelchair passengers onboard before the priority guests. So it wasn't a great start.

QE is a very pretty ship - inside - (outside not so much) and I like the decor very much. Two things struck me immediately: 1) that the ceiling heights are very low in places (I can quite easily touch the ceiling in a lot of public areas) and the Grand Lobby is a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures. The Veranda Grill decor is stunning (haven't eaten there yet) and generally speaking the ship appears to be well laid out and looks very smart. The only gripe I have so far is that the laundries are all the way forward, they aren't spread out like QM2. I guess it's too bad if you're near the stern.

I can only comment on my Queens Grill suite (haven't been in any others) which looks great. I had an "oh wow" moment when I opened the door for the first time. The decor is very pleasing to the eye and everything is well located with loads of cupboard space. It's certainly very spacious and I love the two separate doors to the bathroom (and the internal bathroom door that allows you to separate the bath and shower area from the toilet and handbasin area) as well as the separate shower. The suite was very clean on embarkation day, which was really pleasing. Luggage took a while to arrive, not sure if that's a QE thing as it's always been very prompt on QM2.

The butler and steward are very obliging and have followed though on my few requests (including responding to a frantic call to provide me with an emergency cigarette lighter after mine went missing - the butler was already on his way with my morning coffee and had to turn back to get me a lighter). On embarkation day I got two bottles of champagne (the good stuff and the Pol Acker) as well as the usual chocolate covered strawberries etc. I was asked what alcohol I wanted and they were prompt in restocking the bar fridge with the soft drink of my choice (instead of the stuff that was in there). They do an excellent job tidying up the room and so far everything is great.

The Queens Grill is proving to be a delight and I am enjoying the view from the windows (which I am seated right next to). I can see why everyone says that the views from the Grills on the Vista sistas are far better than QM2; there's no comparison really. Caviar is back on the menu (no requirement to order in advance) and the serving sizes are generous. The service is wonderful and so is the food. The staff are all very friendly and professional, I really can't fault anything (not that I am looking to).

The QG lounge is very nice and the staff there are very good. Afternoon tea revealed a shocking development - they don't have those little fruit tarts that I love!!!!! - they have some kind of fruit tart boat thing which is not at all the same and is very disappointing in appearance and taste. I was told that the fruit tarts are a QM2 thing and QE does the boat tarts. Cue the sad face.

The Grill sun decks look good, but, as you would imagine, they have not been utilised yet during the world cruise. Apparently the crossing was quite rough.

I played Bingo and won my $20 back. They play bingo in the pub and not in the Queens Room like they do on QM2.

As you walk around the promenade deck on QE you can look into the Britannia Restaurant. Why does this not get mentioned when people are complaining about passersby being able to look into the Grills restaurant on QM2?

Anyway, the weather is slowly getting warmer and everyone is looking forward to being able to fully utilise their balconies (today was the first day that some ventured out there for extended periods) and the pools.

So far this has been a great voyage with some lovely people onboard.

Hey Pushka,

I have heard a few things:

1) Last night a reliable source informed me that a man (apparently known to enjoy a drink) got aggressive with another man in Churchill's and there was some kind of altercation that resulted in a broken chair. From what I remember of the story, the victim was pushed back on his chair and fell over (which is how the chair was broken) but don't quote me on that. The reported aggressor wasn't seen the next day (we thought perhaps he'd been locked in his room) but he was seen walking around on deck today. Apparently he likes to start controversial conversations on religion and politics - essentially he appears to be looking for a fight. I wasn't there, so this is all second hand.

2) One of the aft suites on deck five received a call at 4:30 in the morning from Purser's Desk requesting access to the suite because a crucial access panel (to some kind of pipe) was located there. The occupants agreed and shortly after, when the knock on the door came, there were six men standing there waiting to get into the room - so that would have been unexpected for the occupants. It turned out that a water pipe had burst on deck five resulting in a deluge of water cascading down on six cabins at the stern of the ship on deck four. Reportedly the six cabins had to be vacated to allow for the carpet to be replaced and all sorts of rectifications to be completed. The occupants were relocated elsewhere and have since returned to their cabins. Again, this is just what I have heard.

Reflections on the first couple of days:

Dress code - everyone is getting into the spirit of things and they all look great. Essentially, everyone is adhering to the evening's dress code. There have been no formal nights since I boarded in New York so I can't comment on that yet. Pleasingly, Cunard is enforcing the dress code as passengers who are in public areas like the Commodore Club after six, and are dressed casually (blue jeans and t-shirts), are being politely reminded about the dress code and asked to leave.

I went to the M&G on the 19th, which was hosted by lovely Maggiemou, (who is just as nice in person as you would imagine). It was remarked that I looked nothing like my avatar. Scrapnanna is organising a wave when the ship enters Fort Lauderdale. Participants have been asked to wear a red shirt (from memory) so they should be highly visible for anyone that is watching that cam.

Embarkation in New York was a shamozzle. The ship was late arriving, which had a cascading impact on everything that followed that day (or so I believe). I'm pretty relaxed about most things but even I thought embarkation was poorly organised. There was only one loudspeaker announcements and no one seemed to be telling the terminal staff what was going on - or they were telling them but the terminal staff were not communicating amongst themselves. There was no area for priority staff to wait, until one lady complained, and then they created one by having us sit on the opposite side of the terminal to the non- priority guests. This proved to be slightly awkward (sitting there looking at each other) so one of the Grills guests asked the terminal staff to have the non-priority guests turn around and face the other way (just kidding). After sitting and waiting for ages we didn't get our priority boarding as the terminal staff stuffed up again and let the wheelchair passengers onboard before the priority guests. So it wasn't a great start.

QE is a very pretty ship - inside - (outside not so much) and I like the decor very much. Two things struck me immediately: 1) that the ceiling heights are very low in places (I can quite easily touch the ceiling in a lot of public areas) and the Grand Lobby is a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures. The Veranda Grill decor is stunning (haven't eaten there yet) and generally speaking the ship appears to be well laid out and looks very smart. The only gripe I have so far is that the laundries are all the way forward, they aren't spread out like QM2. I guess it's too bad if you're near the stern.

I can only comment on my Queens Grill suite (haven't been in any others) which looks great. I had an "oh wow" moment when I opened the door for the first time. The decor is very pleasing to the eye and everything is well located with loads of cupboard space. It's certainly very spacious and I love the two separate doors to the bathroom (and the internal bathroom door that allows you to separate the bath and shower area from the toilet and handbasin area) as well as the separate shower. The suite was very clean on embarkation day, which was really pleasing. Luggage took a while to arrive, not sure if that's a QE thing as it's always been very prompt on QM2.

The butler and steward are very obliging and have followed though on my few requests (including responding to a frantic call to provide me with an emergency cigarette lighter after mine went missing - the butler was already on his way with my morning coffee and had to turn back to get me a lighter). On embarkation day I got two bottles of champagne (the good stuff and the Pol Acker) as well as the usual chocolate covered strawberries etc. I was asked what alcohol I wanted and they were prompt in restocking the bar fridge with the soft drink of my choice (instead of the stuff that was in there). They do an excellent job tidying up the room and so far everything is great.

The Queens Grill is proving to be a delight and I am enjoying the view from the windows (which I am seated right next to). I can see why everyone says that the views from the Grills on the Vista sistas are far better than QM2; there's no comparison really. Caviar is back on the menu (no requirement to order in advance) and the serving sizes are generous. The service is wonderful and so is the food. The staff are all very friendly and professional, I really can't fault anything (not that I am looking to).

The QG lounge is very nice and the staff there are very good. Afternoon tea revealed a shocking development - they don't have those little fruit tarts that I love!!!!! - they have some kind of fruit tart boat thing which is not at all the same and is very disappointing in appearance and taste. I was told that the fruit tarts are a QM2 thing and QE does the boat tarts. Cue the sad face.

The Grill sun decks look good, but, as you would imagine, they have not been utilised yet during the world cruise. Apparently the crossing was quite rough.

I played Bingo and won my $20 back. They play bingo in the pub and not in the Queens Room like they do on QM2.

As you walk around the promenade deck on QE you can look into the Britannia Restaurant. Why does this not get mentioned when people are complaining about passersby being able to look into the Grills restaurant on QM2?

Anyway, the weather is slowly getting warmer and everyone is looking forward to being able to fully utilise their balconies (today was the first day that some ventured out there for extended periods) and the pools.

So far this has been a great voyage with some lovely people onboard.

Had any more of these yet ?

IMG_2949_2.jpg.b20615313b1a6170603faff6e9450c5f.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

Thanks for the excellent post, it takes me back to my lovely cruise to the Holy Land on the QE last November.

Here is a snap of what I believe is the Queens Grill from the deck below.

QE%2009339%20800%2014%20Nov.JPG

and a snapshot of the Grille deck after a deluge.

QE%2009180%20SN%20800%2010%20Nov.JPG

Have a great adventure Whitemarsh. Looking forward to more of your illuminating reports.

PS At the time of posting the QE is only about an hour due East of Fort Lauderdale.

Edited by candhu18