Norovirus on Ventura

Port out

Have to say that in August on Ventura we were surprised that there was no one checking on hand washing at the entrance to the buffet area or any of the speciality restaurants at all. It is the first time that we have seen this lack of checking on any cruise / cruiseline we have been on.

I.e. no obvious reminders in the Epicurean, the Glass House, Sindhu's and buffet by the entrance .... in fact, I can't remember any thing at all in most of these areas that stood out as a 'you need to use me before entering'.

I have to say we were on Aurora in October and you could walk into most eateries without being requested to use gel on your hands, back on Aurora NewYear and there was the odd occasion when this was being enforced as you entereda restaurant. (Which I totally agree with but fail to understand why this isn’t maintained at all times)

Have to say that in August on Ventura we were surprised that there was no one checking on hand washing at the entrance to the buffet area or any of the speciality restaurants at all. It is the first time that we have seen this lack of checking on any cruise / cruiseline we have been on.

I.e. no obvious reminders in the Epicurean, the Glass House, Sindhu's and buffet by the entrance .... in fact, I can't remember any thing at all in most of these areas that stood out as a 'you need to use me before entering'.

When we were on Britannia and Oceana I'm sure that I remember there being a member of staff standing by the entrance to the buffet restaurants with handgel making sure you had some on your hand or reminding you to use the gel machines / wash your hands. There were machines at the door of every select dining restaurant too. I remember commenting that it wasn't as noticeable on Ventura.

Am not saying that this is what caused an outbreak recently, but it just struck me as a coincidence.

Must admit, I used to think that people who took their own wipes for cabins and handgel for norovirus were a little too OTT. Not any more. We buy the stuff that will protect from norovirus, using the wet wipes when we get in the cabin and use the handgel throughout the day .... knuckles only on the lift buttons too. Little tips we have got from CC that are worth knowing.

We boarded on the 9th for a B2B and boarding was delayed for a 'deep cleaning'. So it was onboard from at least mid-November-ish!!.

About the 12th December I complained that Beach House breakfast had dirty tables, dirty floors and counters had congealed food on them.

Costa don't even wipe tables between consumers. One waitress threw a wobbly when asked by a guest to wipe the table clean of crumbs etc. from previous guests.

In Freedom Dining and lunch, servers were not changing tablecloths between changeovers, if cloths were not stained!! No visible cleaning in lifts or on staircases.

I believe 'someone' was brought on board after Christmas to try and deal with a situation in which, in the middle of each cruise, there is an outbreak of norovirus. How long does it take Pando to realise that there is a problem? At no time were any toilet attendants on duty even at peak times. After Christmas hardback menus were withdrawn as were salt and pepper - this should have been done weeks previously.

All I heard from staff were remarks about dirty, greedy cruisers. How about staff being properly supervised to keep the ship clean?

Southampton General was kept busy with cruisers after our Christmas cruise.

Really disgusted that the problem was not tackled in the beginning!! Worst 2 cruises in 60 years of cruising. Very concerning for the elderly.

It doesn't matter how much they give out anti-bac gel - it doesn't work against Noro. Best to wash your hands constantly and thoroughly and take anti-viral gel / spray / foam with you. I'll certainly be going prepared fro Ventura in 4 weeks!

Yes, but keeping the ship clean is the answer!!

Yes, but keeping the ship clean is the answer!!

Keeping yourself clean is also important. They might clean the stair handrails and the first person to touch them deposits viral particles because they have just been to the toilet and not washed their hands.

The Boots viral foam I use in addition to hand washing claims to protect against virus for up to 6 hours, do the cleaning products as well?

If using the buffet I try to avoid using the tongs provided for obvious reasons. You can use your fork or spoon for a lot of dishes. I also like to use a paper serviette to hold serving cutlery but surprisingly they do not provide these as standard.

But if people aren’t washing their hands you can’t!

Unfortunately its not just passengers who don't wash their hands after being to the toilet but regardless it is still disgusting.

We always wash our hands and use a paper hankie or paper towel to open the toilet doors.

Keeping yourself clean is also important. They might clean the stair handrails and the first person to touch them deposits viral particles because they have just been to the toilet and not washed their hands.

The Boots viral foam I use in addition to hand washing claims to protect against virus for up to 6 hours, do the cleaning products as well?

If using the buffet I try to avoid using the tongs provided for obvious reasons. You can use your fork or spoon for a lot of dishes. I also like to use a paper serviette to hold serving cutlery but surprisingly they do not provide these as standard.

Please will you tell me the name of the Boots foam you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please will you tell me the name of the Boots foam you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We use the following as recommended on CC by a number of people. Just incase you need the wipes as well :-) These are the links to Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoHydra-Alcohol-Antibacterial-Instant-Sanitiser/dp/B00K803AW2/ref=sr_1_11_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515322596&sr=8-11&keywords=antibacterial+gel

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Serenity-Alcohol-Free-Antibacterial-Multi-Surface/dp/B00TZ86Q8I/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1515322760&sr=8-1&keywords=antibacterial+wipes+serenity

Its just called " Boots Anti Viral Hand Foam"...50ml....gives up to 8 hours protection

For me the Boots 50ml size lasts about a week but I am a bit obsessed about Norovirus having been a victim on Britannia. They do a 100ml size as well which is more economic but not as easy to carry around. The tops just unscrew so if you have the 50ml size you can top up from the larger size.

For me the Boots 50ml size lasts about a week but I am a bit obsessed about Norovirus having been a victim on Britannia. They do a 100ml size as well which is more economic but not as easy to carry around. The tops just unscrew so if you have the 50ml size you can top up from the larger size.

Great idea.

I will buy some next time i go into Boots,thank you.

Hi....yes understandably so....having " the bug" is certainly not a pleasant experience at all. I take with us anti bacterial cleansing wipes and in the cabin I wipe every conceivable surface with them and try and think what the cabin steward make have overlooked...wardrobe/drawer handles....coat-hangers....tv remote control....shower dispenser bottles....catch guard on the corner open shelving in bathroom etc.....in fact I start before entering the cabin....outside/inside handle. Lift buttons I use my knuckle or a throw away tissue.

Hi....yes understandably so....having " the bug" is certainly not a pleasant experience at all. I take with us anti bacterial cleansing wipes and in the cabin I wipe every conceivable surface with them and try and think what the cabin steward make have overlooked...wardrobe/drawer handles....coat-hangers....tv remote control....shower dispenser bottles....catch guard on the corner open shelving in bathroom etc.....in fact I start before entering the cabin....outside/inside handle. Lift buttons I use my knuckle or a throw away tissue.

We do,we take Dettol antibacterial wipes for wiping relevant handles etc in our cabin and Boots antibacterial wipes for our hands in the various restaurants.

But if you sit at a table where staff can't be bothered to change the tablecloth and the previous diner has noro or hasn't bothered to wash their hands...........bingo!! Noro 1 - diner nil!

When there is an outbreak on Celebrity, you know instantly. Lift button area covered in clingfilm and constantly wiped over - visible cleaning constantly in lifts and stair handrails. Hardback menus withdrawn as are salt and peppers - took Pando 4 weeks to do menus and salt & pepper! Not rocket science!!

Celebrity always has restroom attendants at peak times near restaurants, theatre etc. None on Pando. Dirty loos and some out-of-order.

Ventura indoor pool now an extension of the buffet. No-one keeping area clean, just selling drinks!!

Huge medical bills to everyone affected and large cost to NHS. No wonder you are REQUIRED to have health insurance - so Carnival don't have to pay out!!

We do,we take Dettol antibacterial wipes for wiping relevant handles etc in our cabin and Boots antibacterial wipes for our hands in the various restaurants.

The trouble is Noro is a virus so anyt-bac products aren't effective.

This is an article about the stuff I buy and it was recommended by the Community Health people when we had an outbreak at school.

https://www.lionsafety.co.uk/news/files/4/3225_lion-safety-clinell-flyer-low-res.pdf

I buy it from Amazon and mainly take the small bottles of the multi-purpose sanitising spray which I use on my hands throughout the cruise and all the hard surfaces in the cabin when we arrive. I will also use on the arms of sun-loungers etc if there's still Noro around when we board Ventura in 4 weeks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=clinell

The trouble is Noro is a virus so anyt-bac products aren't effective.

This is an article about the stuff I buy and it was recommended by the Community Health people when we had an outbreak at school.

https://www.lionsafety.co.uk/news/files/4/3225_lion-safety-clinell-flyer-low-res.pdf

I buy it from Amazon and mainly take the small bottles of the multi-purpose sanitising spray which I use on my hands throughout the cruise and all the hard surfaces in the cabin when we arrive. I will also use on the arms of sun-loungers etc if there's still Noro around when we board Ventura in 4 weeks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=clinell

Thanks.

A previous poster mentioned Boots anti viral foam which i am going to buy next time i go into Boots.

But if you sit at a table where staff can't be bothered to change the tablecloth and the previous diner has noro or hasn't bothered to wash their hands...........bingo!! Noro 1 - diner nil!

When there is an outbreak on Celebrity, you know instantly. Lift button area covered in clingfilm and constantly wiped over - visible cleaning constantly in lifts and stair handrails. Hardback menus withdrawn as are salt and peppers - took Pando 4 weeks to do menus and salt & pepper! Not rocket science!!

Celebrity always has restroom attendants at peak times near restaurants, theatre etc. None on Pando. Dirty loos and some out-of-order.

Ventura indoor pool now an extension of the buffet. No-one keeping area clean, just selling drinks!!

Huge medical bills to everyone affected and large cost to NHS. No wonder you are REQUIRED to have health insurance - so Carnival don't have to pay out!!

Bingo, if the previous diner had followed hygiene requirements then they would not have noro virus and would not be able to spread it around to the remaining passengers.

Enough on this and other similar postings to demonstrate that passengers are their own worst enemy.

FULL HOUSE.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just saw this when it was re posted in last post.

I am amazed to see that, if there is an outbreak, P&O do not get immediately rid of hard back menus, salt and pepper pots on tables and provide constant cleaning in public areas. I am also surprised to hear that there is a charge from the medical centre for potential norovirus cases.

I thought these things (including complimentary medical expenses) were standard practice on cruise ships now, but we have mainly cruise with Fred Olsen in the last few years because of itineraries, so I am little out of touch regards P&O.

• 2 weeks later...

We too were on the Ventura N734 9th to 21st December 2017 and on the 11th I contracted gastroenteritis & colitis (doctor's diagnosis?) and was confined to the cabin for three days. My wife was unaffected and free to roam around the ship but advised to refrain from using the buffet restaurants - I wonder why?. The pre-boarding advisory letter stated that the previous cruise had an increase of gastrointestinal cases and the upgrade of sanitisation was in place. I believe the virus was still prevalent on embarkation. On the entrances to the Waterside and Beach House buffets the automatic hand gel dispensers were non-existent, so much for the increase in sanitisation. Anyone could exit the toilets, on the same deck, and walk into the buffets without cleansing. Very poor. Incidentally the hand cleansers were there on the previous December cruise 2016. I gave a hand written complaint to the on board reception outlining that we both lost appetites worried of a recurrence and loss of enjoyment and enthusiasm for the remainder of the cruise. This was our 13th cruise with P&O and definitely the worst. We missed the first two ports because of my confinement. Cruise companies need to address this problem as a matter of urgency because the more publicity of this illness the more bad publicity for them. Fortunately we booked a balcony cabin and at least were able to enjoy the warm weather in confinement, but I hate to think what it would've be like in an inside cabin.