Bringing whiskey on

Ifortworth

A genuine question for those who constantly promote the "always follow the rules" "never cheat" mentality....I hope this comes off respectful as I am genuinely curious and not trying to be a jerk....to the above individuals...

Do you honestly always follow rules and never cheat...meaning have you ever driven 1 mile over the speed limit? Or have you never logged on to cruise critics at work while wasting company time? ETC ETC ETC Do you truly see the world in black and white with no gray area what so ever?

In your examples, I see consequences that, if caught, would affect the individual. Most of what is being discussed has more far-reaching consequences in that someone's behavior (and enough of people acting like this), could have negative repercussions for everyone.

You must have me mistaken I DO NOT condone violating rules. I just don’t think people should be on a soapbox chastising people. If they run the risk and get caught they pay the price. I’m saying an avid cruiser has circumvented a rule before. Being bringing something on or off the ship, letting there children into adult only areas or shows. Etc. or even just breaches of etiquette like line cutting or ordering before someone else who has been waiting longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you smuggle booze you aren't simply breaking a rule. You are violating a contract - one that you agreed to. If I'm presented with a contract I don't like, I don't sign it. I certainly don't sign it, break it, and then go on social media bragging about it.

When you smuggle booze you aren't simply breaking a rule. You are violating a contract - one that you agreed to. If I'm presented with a contract I don't like, I don't sign it. I certainly don't sign it, break it, and then go on social media bragging about it.

Then you get punished! Enough said. When they get caught are you going to go ooohhh I told you and walk off all proud. I try not to break any rule but I’m sure in your contract you don’t know every single rule violation. That’s all I’m saying I’m happy that your moral compass points true north.

A genuine question for you in response. Seriously. Do you consider driving one mile per hour over the speed limit as morally corrupt as stealing? No judgement here. If you do, that's fine. Just asking in all seriousness whether you consider them to be of equal immorailty.

Not at all...I just don't understand the Black/white mentality...meaning because I know that I too am a rule breaker (I drive 4 or 9 miles over speed limits personally (depending on road) that I would never be appalled or criticize others for breaking rules....I just can't be a hypocrite like that personally...so I was wondering if those who preach 0 tolerance for breaking rules follow that same mentality on hypocrisy as I do or justify their own rule breaking another way.....

I in no way consider all rules equal...but some on this board seem to...that's why I asked about the gray area etc....

As long as you are going to try to be respectful I will answer for myself. I do try to follow the rules where ever I can but I am not perfect. What I DO differently is that I am NOT proud of breaking any rules and try to never do it purposefully. I DONT share it online like a badge of honor and DONT believe its ok. I dont mind saying that I have faults and that I do wrong and I try to fix them where ever I can.

Many people here feel entitled to do what they want. Feel its absolutely ok and make excuses of all sorts to justify that what they are doing is ok even when it affects others.

so... For example -

someone posted a review and in the review they said they gave their child some drinks from cheers because they didnt read all the rules and now feels a bit guilty... I would respect because things happen

Someone posted here that they share their cheers because the prices are high and they feel its nobody's business and they dont care what people feel because they can sleep at night and they feel a sense of accomplishment cheating the cruiseline... I would post in this case about the rules and how they look because this is someone who has no regard to others.

Hopefully you (and others) can be respectful of my opinion

Appreciate your honest answer and I do respect your opinion....thank you

I guess in general I am just very much a "to each their own" type of person and leave the judging to God and don't worry about what others do with their lives..I can't barely handle my own problems in life I can't imagine taking others problems on my shoulders...

But thank you for those who replied and to the OP sorry for the thread jacking....

As long as you are going to try to be respectful I will answer for myself. I do try to follow the rules where ever I can but I am not perfect. What I DO differently is that I am NOT proud of breaking any rules and try to never do it purposefully. I DONT share it online like a badge of honor and DONT believe its ok. I dont mind saying that I have faults and that I do wrong and I try to fix them where ever I can.

Many people here feel entitled to do what they want. Feel its absolutely ok and make excuses of all sorts to justify that what they are doing is ok even when it affects others.

so... For example -

someone posted a review and in the review they said they gave their child some drinks from cheers because they didnt read all the rules and now feels a bit guilty... I would respect because things happen

Someone posted here that they share their cheers because the prices are high and they feel its nobody's business and they dont care what people feel because they can sleep at night and they feel a sense of accomplishment cheating the cruiseline... I would post in this case about the rules and how they look because this is someone who has no regard to others.

Hopefully you (and others) can be respectful of my opinion

We may (actually we do) disagree but you are certainly entitled to your opinion and have every right and responsibility to share it with others in your normal respectful tones.:)

I guess in general I am just very much a "to each their own" type of person and leave the judging to God and don't worry about what others do with their lives..I can't barely handle my own problems in life I can't imagine taking others problems on my shoulders...

But thank you for those who replied and to the OP sorry for the thread jacking....

so question for you (respectfully)..

if you had a brand of water that you preferred and you were always allowed to bring it and because of smuggling ,they did not allow you to bring water on anymore. would it bother you?

Hypothetically - if they raised the prices to Cheers (and if you always purchased cheers) because people were sharing too much, would it bother you?

again - as you were honestly looking to understand, I am as well. How would you feel if people abused a rule so much it caused the cruiseline to make a change that affected you?

so question for you (respectfully)..

if you had a brand of water that you preferred and you were always allowed to bring it and because of smuggling ,they did not allow you to bring water on anymore. would it bother you?

Hypothetically - if they raised the prices to Cheers (and if you always purchased cheers) because people were sharing too much, would it bother you?

again - as you were honestly looking to understand, I am as well. How would you feel if people abused a rule so much it caused the cruiseline to make a change that affected you?

I totally can understand this point and consider it valid....personally while I might be bummed for a second about my brand of water / cost increase I wouldn't be surprised by it, infact to be fair I expect people in this world to suck and be shady so I would definitely just caulk it up to "the ways of the world"...and pay the extra or find a different water to drink etc....

I totally can understand this point and consider it valid....personally while I might be bummed for a second about my brand of water / cost increase I wouldn't be surprised by it, infact to be fair I expect people in this world to suck and be shady so I would definitely just caulk it up to "the ways of the world"...and pay the extra or find a different water to drink etc....

“I believe most people are good......”

I totally can understand this point and consider it valid....personally while I might be bummed for a second about my brand of water / cost increase I wouldn't be surprised by it, infact to be fair I expect people in this world to suck and be shady so I would definitely just caulk it up to "the ways of the world"...and pay the extra or find a different water to drink etc.I...

So, your expectation is that people suck and will break the rules, ergo we should accept restrictions and price increases?

I understand, but it doesn't have to be this way.

I am trying to figure your point....is it you are contending with the strawman argument of "Because everyone speeds, then no one can say anything about smuggling"? Is that the argument? Is your point "Well i dont agree with the liquor rules, so i will just bring my own liquor onboard via smuggling". Now where is the "grey" in no smuggling? The rules are pretty clear cut. I cannot believe in the history of cruising that liquor "accidently" poured itself into a rum runner then magically inserted itself in a passengers luggage :D....If you are cool with that, be consistent. I dont know if smugglers are also smokers, but if not and you wander on your balcony and your neighbor is smoking, better not go running off to GS to report them, right?

Lets call it like it is....Smugglers smuggle for 1 main reason, they are cheap. You get the few who drink some off the wall type liquor and because Carnival doesnt carry that particular brand, they justify it by saying "well i am entitled to drink what i want when i want". But i go back to my original point, they are cheap. They should just suck it up and drink something else or cruise a line that has your brand. Smugglers are trying to save $$$$, thats the reason they smuggle. Now they will justify it with reasons of "i tip extra well" and "I still buy drinks onboard", but to cut to the chase, they are cheap and trying to save whatever money they can, and doing it against the rules.

Now before they come up with answers of "well what about coupons, are those people cheap", i say absolutely not....Coupons arent AGAINST the rules. On sale items arent against the rules. If you cant afford your liquor bill, then save up for another how long it takes you to afford it and then cruise....pretty simple (y)[/quot

WOW! Although we don't smuggle I think you calling "everyone" who does cheap is pretty judgmental. We have thought about it and NOT because we are cheap. Just never wanted the hassle as we always fly in for our cruise.

You misunderstood me. I didn't say your friends are dumb. I said they lack moral character. People with bad moral character are capable of many evil deeds, and sometimes smart enough to know when not to.

If you want to point out the lack of moral character in one set of people you need to do it for all people if you want anyone to believe you.

Trying to get away with breaking the rules is a time honored tradition. Anyone who has ever been to high school will confirm.

Yea, not really. That's just a rationalization that rule breakers use (everyone else does it so why shouldn't I?).

Class of '80.

You're right. Integrity isn't charging $100+ for a $20-30 bottle of booze.

You are right. Charging $100 for a $20-30 bottle of whatever is called Capitalism and running a business.

Don't remember anyone being forced to purchase overpriced alcohol on any cruise I've been on.

Sorry that your experience on the Dawn left you with such a poor taste about NCL. One bad experience should not cause you to write off an entire line, but it's your vacation dollar to spend as you wish. Have sailed on Carnival 18 times and the NCL Escape three times and I would rank all 3 of the Escape cruises in the top 10 of my 31 cruises so far.

I have sailed Carnival 12 times, RCCL 4 times, NCL 4 times, Princess & HAL once each. All 4 of the NCL cruises (on both fancy new ships and older ships) were the worst cruises to date (in terms of the ship). NCL is also the only cruise I have ever cancelled due to their ever changing, crappy (IMO) policies.

I've often seen the smuggling justification of wanting something in the room and not needing to go to the bar for a drink, or the ship not carrying what the person prefers to drink. Usually these people claim to have Cheers (because they don't want to carry from their room) so I can't see how NCL would make any difference.

Carnival lets each passenger over 21 bring one bottle of wine on board with them. If passengers were willing to follow what they agreed to when booking the cruise it wouldn't be an issue either. Carnival clearly states what is and isn't allowed for beverages and there are other lines that do let you bring your own on, just not at Carnival's price or with their experience/atmosphere.

I enjoy drinking on a cruise, but I don't understand why it is such a burden to do without a preferred beverage for a cruise when there are so many other options. :confused: To me, if you absolutely must have a certain alcohol available and in your cabin then don't book on a mainstream cruise line. If you have your heart set on a mainstream cruise line for your vacation then suck it up and get a drink from the bar on the way back to your room, pay the expensive delivery cost, or just don't drink for a half an hour.:rolleyes:

Corrected your statement. ;)

Judgemental.....ok, but just on that one trait, not overall....There are some very nice people that i know who are cheap....I was cutting thru all the PC crap and being blunt

But let me ask you, outside of those who claim that Carnival doesnt carry their brand, why would people smuggle if not being cheap? Whats the other reason?

Well I can only speak for us and to the reason we thought about it, convenience. We always get an Aft Balcony and we enjoy sitting out there with a cocktail as we leave port. Also while waiting for the other to get ready for dinner. We've always just gone up to the bar for a bucket of beer or pitcher of margaritas. Just thought it'd be nice to have a little something in the cabin.

I don’t smuggle on booze but a lot of posters better be careful about throwing rocks in their glass houses. Nobody is completely righteous. Whether it be on a ship or other parts of life.

That's like telling a cop who speeds they can't give you a speeding ticket. Nice try.

BTW, my house is made out of cinder block. ;)

A genuine question for those who constantly promote the "always follow the rules" "never cheat" mentality....I hope this comes off respectful as I am genuinely curious and not trying to be a jerk....to the above individuals...

Do you honestly always follow rules and never cheat...meaning have you ever driven 1 mile over the speed limit? Or have you never logged on to cruise critics at work while wasting company time? ETC ETC ETC Do you truly see the world in black and white with no gray area what so ever?

I can't speak for others but I can say that I have never "knowingly" broken a law or rule. Operative word is knowingly as no one can know everything so everyone has broken some kind of law or rule without knowing it. That being said, people who call themselves smugglers are "knowingly" breaking the rules and most of them (from my experiences) announce their rule breaking with glee. So it's not just the rule breaking but the snottiness behind it as well.