Diamond Princess as viewed by Blue Hull Loyalist—April 13-May 2, 2018

shrimp56

Yes, please continue as time permits!

We sailed on the Diamond's Circle Hokkaido itinerary a couple of years ago and had a wonderful time. Agree with your comments about the great ship and crew.

Hope you had a nice time in Busan. It poured down rain when we stopped there, but nonetheless we traipsed through the main street market area. :')

Yes, shrimp56, I'd appreciate you continuing of your experiences and surely thank you for taking the time (and enduring the expense) of doing so.

Question about Sabatini's: Overwhelming amounts of food served? Or was it easy to insist to your Steward that you wanted only certain courses and not others?

It is a standard antipasto, 1 patti and 2 patti plus dessert. You can order as little or as much as you want. I only had antipasto and 1 patti. But they upped the portion size to main course size. If you are a small eater ask them for first course size. We thought the wine list was better than HAL. We had a lovely Barolo. Will write more on food later.

Actually I’m writing offline, then cutting and pasting, so online time is not the issue. Will post some photos hopefully later today.

Today is Busan, the first of the four ports. Had a nice dinner at Sabatinis last evening. Will continue commentary if people are interested. We are enjoying the ship and crew, but our hearts belong to the dam ships.

Haven’t tried the pizza yet, Lisa.

We were just on the Ruby today doing the Bon Voyage Experience and right before we disembarked Tom got a slice of pepperoni pizza, OMG[emoji33] they have ruined it. It tasted like Velveeta cheese or really cheep processed cheese. Definitely not the pizza we had on the Diamond last October or the pizza I had in November when I did the BVE on the Star Princess. Not sure who had the bright idea to cheapen the cheese quality but they need to be fired. I fortunately I believe I heard that it is now HAL heading up Food and Beverage for Princess under Stein Kruse. This is very unfortunate for Princess since their Pizza for many years was their big shining star.

On a side note our lunch today on the Ruby was excellent [emoji1303]

Looking forward to hearing more of your cruise since I can visualize it perfectly [emoji6]

We were just on the Ruby today doing the Bon Voyage Experience and right before we disembarked Tom got a slice of pepperoni pizza, OMG[emoji33] they have ruined it. It tasted like Velveeta cheese or really cheep processed cheese. Definitely not the pizza we had on the Diamond last October or the pizza I had in November when I did the BVE on the Star Princess. Not sure who had the bright idea to cheapen the cheese quality but they need to be fired. I fortunately I believe I heard that it is now HAL heading up Food and Beverage for Princess under Stein Kruse. This is very unfortunate for Princess since their Pizza for many years was their big shining star.

On a side note our lunch today on the Ruby was excellent [emoji1303]

Looking forward to hearing more of your cruise since I can visualize it perfectly [emoji6]

I’ll take one for the team.

I’ll take one for the team.

Interesting about pizza quality being lessened if HAL is now responsible for Food and Beverage functions of Princess. On the HAL ships that have the New York Pizza station, it's my understanding (and experience) that the pizza is liked by most who try it.

Thanks shrimp56 for your description of the Sabatini's menu.

Interesting about pizza quality being lessened if HAL is now responsible for Food and Beverage functions of Princess. On the HAL ships that have the New York Pizza station, it's my understanding (and experience) that the pizza is liked by most who try it.

I realize food, and especially pizza, is objective, but we found the pizza at the New York Pizza on the Rotterdam in January to be terrible. The taste was very bland and the cheese had a very odd texture. We tried it once and that was enough for us. Maybe it was just bad luck, since many seem to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks shrimp56 for your description of the Sabatini's menu.

Count me out on the New York Pizza station now on HAL ships- great concept, but the flavors and crusts are meh. However, you will find me many days 100% enjoying their prpared Kale Caesar Salad...... with anchovies, thank you very much.

I will also chime in that we are not fans of HAL's pizza. However, we did enjoy Princess' pizza very much. It's been a couple of years since we've sailed with them, and I'm disappointed to see these comments about the changes in quality.

We are docked in Sakaiminato. Yesterday in Busan we visited Haedong Yonggungsa Temple on the sea. Large complex on a stunning site. Then we had Korean BBQ and soju. Today is Adachi Art Meseum and gardens. We now have "our" bar, Crooners. Good drinks and staff plus a variety of music.

I believe I heard that it is now HAL heading up Food and Beverage for Princess under Stein Kruse. This is very unfortunate for Princess since their Pizza for many years was their big shining star.

OMG, I agree, why take the ONE thing that Princess has always, hands down, been known for... and ruin it.

Very very very stupid move by Princess.

I wonder if there are any links about HAL heading / merging Food and Beverage.

Please, PLEASE, say it isn't so.

That would be another very stupid move by Princess if they are giving somebody from HAL that kind of influence and or change.

Internet has been spotty the past day so apologies for my silence. I do have notes that I will translate into a post on our sea day tomorrow.

Today is Akita, yesterday was Tsuruga. Shorex in Tsuruga was excellent.

Knowing firsthand, the DP's dedicated Japan, Asia, and SE Asia target market, your observations with DP F&B less desirable shifts are correct. And they do reflect building to an Asia region cruise culture. Holiday/Vacation travel is typically a 4-5 day experience and returning to family homes. It continues to be a developing process. I am so happy to read your posts as a multicultural perspective. Bravo!

Again apologies. We’ve been in an internet black hole for a couple of days. We debark this morning and fly to Kyoto. Will catch up on posting as we wander Honshu.

We have enjoyed DP more than we expected. She’s still MUCH too big for us, but we managed to create a smaller ship for ourselves within the bigger one.

Will have more details later, but one note. The crew seems less stressed than HAL and they have more lively personalities than we have noted on HAL.

Pictures will come on our return to Chicago in early May.

I will also chime in that we are not fans of HAL's pizza. However, we did enjoy Princess' pizza very much. It's been a couple of years since we've sailed with them, and I'm disappointed to see these comments about the changes in quality.
Kyoto experience, scope out Johnny Hillwalker. Fantastic guide, well respected, and takes you at a leisurely pace and guides you through the genuine Kyoto. Kansai can be complicated, but Johnny Hillwalker is the best! Have known him for more than 20 years. S'Wonderful tour.

Sent from my SH-05G using Forums mobile app

Thank you Mrs Shrimps for your comments on the Diamond. I have heard that for the Japan cruises, Princess provides hot water kettles in the rooms. Did do so on your cruise? We have a cruise there in mid-October following the Westerdam cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo.

Thank you Mrs Shrimps for your comments on the Diamond. I have heard that for the Japan cruises, Princess provides hot water kettles in the rooms. Did do so on your cruise? We have a cruise there in mid-October following the Westerdam cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo.

We had a kettle in our BE Balcony.

There were no happy hours. Drinks were more expensive than HAL, but pour seemed more generous and drinks arrived fresh, that is the ice hadn't diluted the drink.