Carnival's new bland decor.

Thoth

I appreciate the clean lines, softer colors and uncluttered designs of the new ships. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This, thank you. DH agrees as well. It's one reason why we fell in love with Breeze almost right away.

The funny part is that so many people complained that Joe's designs were gaudy and they hated them.

They were and I did.

Glad that era is over. Really enjoying the fresh, modern, new decor on the latest ships. Truly a breath of fresh air.

The design of the new “theater” is another discussion entirely. The Liquid Lounge was a horrible idea from conception and I cannot believe they’re still going with it.

I never cruise for the decor.

^^^^^ THIS !! I cruise for the ports. Cruise ships are merely a means of transportation. Spend more than a few days on any U.S. Navy ship, and you will never bother to care about the decor of a cruise ship.

In the mean time, don't cruise on the Dream or Vista class and you have exactly what you want.

The Dream is a beautiful ship and makes the Vista look frumpy. Compare pictures of the atrium for example. I dined in the mid-ship Reflections which was spartan. They only used tablecloths on formal nights. :o

Edited by Thoth

^^^^^ THIS !! I cruise for the ports. Cruise ships are merely a means of transportation. Spend more than a few days on any U.S. Navy ship, and you will never bother to care about the decor of a cruise ship.
I don't see cruise ships as a merely a means of transportation. Otherwise I'd travel directly to ports. People do spend lots of time onboard and it is nice to do it in pleasant surroundings.

I don't see cruise ships as a merely a means of transportation. Otherwise I'd travel directly to ports. People do spend lots of time onboard and it is nice to do it in pleasant surroundings.

Exactly! To me the ship is a destination too. I guess I am with the "gaudy" crowd. I love the glitz and glitter.:D

I have not been on Carnival before but the decor on Vista is one reason why I’m considering it. A reason why I didn’t want to go on Carnival is because of the decor. I thought it was cheap and tacky. Maybe Carnival is trying to market to a new audience by having more subdued decor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think Carnival wanted to appeal to a more sophisticated crowd that wanted a more subdued color scheme and show a little more elegance than tack. Not that I’m complaining, as I haven’t sailed Carnival since they got rid of Fargus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One man's "boring" is another man's ____. My first cruise was on Triumph, ten years ago. It advertised a "world" theme. I enjoyed the ship but thought the decor was over-the-top glassy glitz. I was disappointed that our next Carnival ship (Legend) was the same general decor. And right on down the line till I got more than bored (or over-saturated) and starting ignoring it. I'm more than pleased with the freshness of the post-Farcus decor.

Exactly! To me the ship is a destination too. I guess I am with the "gaudy" crowd. I love the glitz and glitter.:D

I prefer to not be visually assaulted. Keep it clean and elegant.

I'll take glitzy and sparkles over beige and blah any day. Of course look at my name, figure skating LOVE glitz and sparkle. If it sparkles, I want it. Some people like country flower decor, some like drab color schemes, some like bold colors. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.

I have enjoyed every Carnival ship décor that I have been on, and I believe they have all been Farcus decors. The ships range from Sensation to Splendor, with conquest class ships in between those two. I have not been on the newer ships, but I do like what I see of Dream and Magic, not so much Breeze, but the Vista is most definitely not my cup of tea décor wise. Décor will not affect which ship I cruise on. If I get a decent deal on a newer ship with bland colorless décor, then I will still go if the itinerary and price is good.

My favorite ship décor wise is Carnival Liberty, least favorite Valor, but I have liked them all.

I don't pay much mind to the decor. My hubby likes the Farcus decor. As others have said, not for our personal home, but it's fun for vacation. While I think the subdued decor of other ships on other lines is pretty, hubby thinks they are boring.

I haven't read all the replies, but your question "caught" my attention. I am one of those people that like a lot of color, design, etc., and have found them on all the Carnival ships, until this year, when we went on the Magic. I found the colors very bland, but that is MY opinion. I know you don't define a ship by the colors, but to me, that was something I looked forward to seeing. Other than that, the Magic was fine.

Who the H.E double hockey sticks cruises for the decor?

I've only done repeat cruises on two ships, one of them Carnival. Before I booked and paid for a cruise on a "new" ship (new for me), I had no idea what the decor was. But post-cruise it's definitely a rating/ranking factor. One of many factors, never close at all to a deal-breaker, but a factor.

On Conquest I noticed the ship seemed darker in comparison to other Farcus ships. Otherwise I pretty much push the gawdy decor to the back of my mind. I did notice how visually pleasing Breeze was almost as soon as I boarded.

What happened to Joe Farcus , who earned the reputation of creating the most eccentric & whimsical designs ? The Legend was all about urns and everything on the Splendor was pink !

I just got off the Vista which probably has the most boring decor of any ship in the fleet. The atrium has a giant LED display but little else to catch the eye. The dining room was for eating, not looking at. The Liquids theater is a throwback to a lounge design with poor sight-lines & lack of seating. Don't get me wrong, I loved my cruise vacation just found the ship decor boring compared to the other "Fun Ships" :rolleyes:

I thought the decor on the Vista was a pleasant change from the other Carnival ships; it had a much more modern feel.

To each their own. I personally dislike the Farcus designs. The Legend and the overuse of urns and the Colossus of Rhodes in the atrium is an example. The other is the Bacchus dining room on Miracle. It's like you are inside a whale's colons and the whale has polyps.

I love the decor on the Dream, Breeze and Vista more so than the neon nightmares of days gone by.

That's my opinion and yours may be very different.

Take care,

Mike

was he fired or did he just retier? i really like both the more subtle style on the new ships as well as Farcus's style..for different reasons. Personally, my two favorite ships are the Breeze and Sunshine as they act as the bridge from new to old.

Regarding the Vista design take a look at this article as about global design

https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/12325104/airbnb-aesthetic-global-minimalism-startup-gentrification