Status of Russia port of call

I am a US citizen and I have a valid Russian Visa. I am currently in Russia - just returned from Moscow yesterday & spending today & the remainder of the week/weekend in St. Petersburg with some of my Russian friends. Everything seems the same as on my previous trips to Russia - no issues getting through immigration at the airport, all calm in the city.

This is reassuring. Thanks for letting us know the local current situation.

yes it does so I think it will be interesting to watch the cruise lines during the next several months. See what they do if ship is 50% Americans and UK. Where do the go instead.

There are some of us Canadians and perhaps Australians as well...

We’ll see if they change that port...

I doubt anything will happen in the near future involving restrictions on tourists to Russia. In June/July is the Football/Soccer World Cup in Russia and there will be 100,000s of foreign visitors, which is one of the biggest sports events in the world so very unlikely anything will change until after that event. Russia has spent billions of dollars to ensure the facilities are up to scratch, they need to get their money back in tourists spending a pile of money.

Some cruises are specifically travelling to St Petersburg to co-incide with the matches so cruisers can go to the games.

• 2 weeks later...
Thankfully things do seem somewhat calmer now, have the summer Norther European cruises started to visit SPB?

I believe that a Viking Ocean cruise has already visited and know that the Regal Princess (huge ship) will be there tomorrow (Saturday, May 5th). Hopefully, we will soon receive some updated feedback on disembarkation in St. Pete.

I believe that a Viking Ocean cruise has already visited and know that the Regal Princess (huge ship) will be there tomorrow (Saturday, May 5th). Hopefully, we will soon receive some updated feedback on disembarkation in St. Pete.

Here's the cruise ship schedule for anyone interested:

http://crew-center.com/saint-petersburg-russia-cruise-ships-schedule-2018

Headed there in just a few weeks, so a little concerned. However, with the WOrld Cup taking place there, I strongly doubt there will be any restrictions imposed - at least until after the matches are over.

I did read that the Church of the SPilled Blood will be a Fan Zone, and there will be increased security there.

Just arrived back from Baltic cruise and 2 days in St Petersburg went very well.

We had an independent tour and as expected the wait in line for immigration was time consuming however they had all booths full of staff but the document inspection was thorough.

Coming back the 1st evening the lines were long to get back on the ship and there were some stressed passengers who were trying to get back & ready for their evening trips.

2nd day still the same document inspection getting off but quicker getting back on.

No hint of any tension whilst touring, wonderful visit.

Just arrived back from Baltic cruise and 2 days in St Petersburg went very well.

We had an independent tour and as expected the wait in line for immigration was time consuming however they had all booths full of staff but the document inspection was thorough.

Coming back the 1st evening the lines were long to get back on the ship and there were some stressed passengers who were trying to get back & ready for their evening trips.

2nd day still the same document inspection getting off but quicker getting back on.

No hint of any tension whilst touring, wonderful visit.

Thank you for the update.

There will be something like 5 ships docking the same morning we are. Will that make things exponentially slower?

Just imagine double or triple the amount of people every where you turn. It has to have some sort of impact. All those people getting their passports inspected and stamped. Imagine the long lines at immigration!

The private tour companies have a way of communicating to each other, as they approach each room in the Hermitage. My group was usually coming into a room, as the group in front of us, exits. I found it wonderful to be alone with all that wonderful art. As we left a room, I can see the next group coming in. At Catherine's Palace, it did get a little crowded. I was shocked at the amount of tourist in SPB. No matter what, you'll love it in SPB. :D:D