Playa Mia

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:34 AM.
#1
3,824 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Our cruise is still a long way away, but I've started looking as some excursions that are posted. We're coming with our kids who will be a month away from 14 and almost 10 years...and Playa Mia excursions(s) caught my eye.

Has anyone been with kids? If so, what did you think? Are the facilities clean, with a washroom and decent food?
Our Royal Caribbean cruise offers two excursions....one is the 'Beach Break at Playa Maya' and the other is 'Deluxe Beach Break And Playa Mia Water Park". I can't tell the difference except the latter is twice the price. The first one does mention the waterslides and floating park. Anyone know?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




2016 - Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas - Report: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345424
2012 - Disney Cruise Line Magic
2001 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
1997 - Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas
#2
Northern VA & DC
17,780 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Mitsugirly has a photo intensive review of Playa Mia linked in her signature that should answer your questions. She is a frequent poster - it should not be hard to find.

I would also consider Mr. Sanchos and Paradise Beach with kids of that age. The water toys usually cost about $15+ per person
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Golf! A game invented by people who think good music comes from bagpipes.
#3
Western, NY
905 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Nvm
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ME, DH, Six awesome kids (4 - 17)
MSC - Seaside - 6/2018
Princess - Crown - 1/2018
NCL - Getaway - 5/2016
Princess - Caribbean - 11/2014
DCL - Magic - 5/2014
DCL - Wonder - 9/2001
#4
3,824 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Vacationdreamer, I checked out your link (looks like it's gone now?). Doesn't sound like the beach was very nice...water rough (which is an issue with kids), bad sand...sounds like we should pass.

JohninDC, thanks...Paraside Beach looks nice at a quick glance. Will check out Mr Sanchos too. Yes, I've seen Mitsugirly's links. Very helpful.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




2016 - Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas - Report: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345424
2012 - Disney Cruise Line Magic
2001 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
1997 - Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas
#5
Northern VA & DC
17,780 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
All of the popular beach clubs on Coz are lined up along the same side of the island - if the waves are rough at one or if there is a seaweed issue, it will affect all of them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Golf! A game invented by people who think good music comes from bagpipes.
#6
3,824 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Thanks for the info. Will keep that in mind. We have to be extra careful coming with our kids.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




2016 - Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas - Report: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345424
2012 - Disney Cruise Line Magic
2001 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
1997 - Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas
#7
Western, NY
905 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by LuCruise
Vacationdreamer, I checked out your link (looks like it's gone now?). Doesn't sound like the beach was very nice...water rough (which is an issue with kids), bad sand...sounds like we should pass.

JohninDC, thanks...Paraside Beach looks nice at a quick glance. Will check out Mr Sanchos too. Yes, I've seen Mitsugirly's links. Very helpful.


Oh good OP. I’m glad you saw it. I felt like I was over sharing after I put in link.

Simply put it wasn’t hideous, but I wouldn’t go back. If you were doing really cool things at your other ports, and you can get a good price for this, the waterpark side was nice enough. And if you aren’t after super authentic food, that would be OK, as well.

I’m not sure eat my friend and I are going to do in Coz in Jan.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ME, DH, Six awesome kids (4 - 17)
MSC - Seaside - 6/2018
Princess - Crown - 1/2018
NCL - Getaway - 5/2016
Princess - Caribbean - 11/2014
DCL - Magic - 5/2014
DCL - Wonder - 9/2001
#8
3,151 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by LuCruise
Our cruise is still a long way away, but I've started looking as some excursions that are posted. We're coming with our kids who will be a month away from 14 and almost 10 years...and Playa Mia excursions(s) caught my eye.

Has anyone been with kids? If so, what did you think? Are the facilities clean, with a washroom and decent food?
Our Royal Caribbean cruise offers two excursions....one is the 'Beach Break at Playa Maya' and the other is 'Deluxe Beach Break And Playa Mia Water Park". I can't tell the difference except the latter is twice the price. The first one does mention the waterslides and floating park. Anyone know?
Doesn't the second one include open bar and buffet?

If you go to the Playa Mia website I think you will see all the different options that you can buy direct. The Royal Caribbean excursion includes transport but that is easy enough to do yourself on Cozumel.
#9
Western, NY
905 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Check Viator. We arrived a full hour before the ship excursions and did so for a lower price.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ME, DH, Six awesome kids (4 - 17)
MSC - Seaside - 6/2018
Princess - Crown - 1/2018
NCL - Getaway - 5/2016
Princess - Caribbean - 11/2014
DCL - Magic - 5/2014
DCL - Wonder - 9/2001
#10
Northern VA & DC
17,780 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
You can book Playa Mia on your own and grab a taxi - arrive and depart on your schedule.

Coz is an easy island and the taxis are fairly well regulated (unlike the crooks in Philly! ) -- lots of beach clubs to choose from.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Golf! A game invented by people who think good music comes from bagpipes.
#11
3,824 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by Vacationdreamer<><
Oh good OP. I’m glad you saw it. I felt like I was over sharing after I put in link.

Simply put it wasn’t hideous, but I wouldn’t go back. If you were doing really cool things at your other ports, and you can get a good price for this, the waterpark side was nice enough. And if you aren’t after super authentic food, that would be OK, as well.

I’m not sure eat my friend and I are going to do in Coz in Jan.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Exciting that you have another cruise booked.

I also noticed you mentioned the sand was course. Maybe that is another trait that would be similar at other beaches, but when going to the Caribbean, finding a place with soft white sand is nice too. We went to Little Divi in St Maartin and the water was rough and sand was darker and course..so we didn't enjoy our day as much.

I'll definitely look more into places. Enjoy your upcoming cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




2016 - Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas - Report: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345424
2012 - Disney Cruise Line Magic
2001 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
1997 - Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas
#12
3,824 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by c-leg5
Doesn't the second one include open bar and buffet?

If you go to the Playa Mia website I think you will see all the different options that you can buy direct. The Royal Caribbean excursion includes transport but that is easy enough to do yourself on Cozumel.
Yes thank you. That may be the difference as it does mention open bar and buffet in the deluxe one but not the other.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




2016 - Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas - Report: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345424
2012 - Disney Cruise Line Magic
2001 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
1997 - Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas
#13
3,824 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by JohninDC
You can book Playa Mia on your own and grab a taxi - arrive and depart on your schedule.

Coz is an easy island and the taxis are fairly well regulated (unlike the crooks in Philly! ) -- lots of beach clubs to choose from.
Good to know. If these places are easy to get to, then taking a taxi on our own works too. Then we are on our own time. We are in port from something like 8am - 6pm so timing is not an issue.

P.S. - WE don't necessarily need an aqua park....and it even makes me a bit nervous with my kids out in the ocean like that. Just looking for a nice pretty clean beach...and use of facilities (or able to rent stuff) is a bonus.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




2016 - Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas - Report: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345424
2012 - Disney Cruise Line Magic
2001 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
1997 - Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas
#14
Western, NY
905 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by LuCruise
Exciting that you have another cruise booked.



I also noticed you mentioned the sand was course. Maybe that is another trait that would be similar at other beaches, but when going to the Caribbean, finding a place with soft white sand is nice too. We went to Little Divi in St Maartin and the water was rough and sand was darker and course..so we didn't enjoy our day as much.



I'll definitely look more into places. Enjoy your upcoming cruise.


We didn’t have white sand in other places, but it was smaller grain than Coz. My favorites are Grand Cayman and ... Prince Edward Island. LOL


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ME, DH, Six awesome kids (4 - 17)
MSC - Seaside - 6/2018
Princess - Crown - 1/2018
NCL - Getaway - 5/2016
Princess - Caribbean - 11/2014
DCL - Magic - 5/2014
DCL - Wonder - 9/2001
#15
Pascagoula Ms
1,672 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Can some one tell me about how much a taxi ride would cost from Puerta maya dock to Playa Mia for 9 people. We have booked this for our cruise trying to figure out budget needed for taxi.
Thanks PapPaul
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Holiday March 2002
RCCL Grandeur of the Sea April 2004
NCL Star September 2004
NCL Sea March 2005
NCL Pride of America December 2005
RCCL Rhapsody Of the Sea April 2006
Carnival Fantasy November 2006
Celebrity Century May 2007
RCCL Mariner of the sea November 2007
Carnival Holiday July 2008
NCL Spirit December 2008
RCCL Monarch of the Sea April 2009
Disney Wonder September 2009
RCCL Freedom of the Sea November 2009
NCL Spirit December 2010
Carnival Triumph April 2011
Carnival Elation September 2011
RCCL Voyager of the Sea December 2011
Carnival Elation May 2012
RCCL Navigator of the Sea December 2012
NCL Jewel November 2013
Carnival Fascination May 2014
RCCL Serenade of the Sea January 2015
Princess Caribbean Princess November 2015
Carnival Fantasy January 2017
Carnival Triumph November 2017