New and current weight watchers

How easy is it to get fresh fruits -- like apples, bananas, oranges - are they found in the buffets?

And who has taken any fitness classes, such as Zumba on NCL cruises? I'm also interested in swimming laps - are the pools decent for that?

Fruit is very, very easy to find (though for some reason, my last cruise had a lack of bananas, which is atypical). I was on NCL Epic earlier this month and had fruit a lot: pineapple slices, watermelon slices, and kiwi fruit were my go-to choices. They also had a light fruit cocktail, and oranges and I think apples (but as mentioned, NO bananas). I've been on Royal Caribbean and Carnival and they were similar. The fruit will be on the buffet for all meals and snacks, and there are fruit plates you can get for dessert if you want.

NCL Epic was pretty easy to eat healthy on. They also seemed to have some sort of fruit-based dessert every night, which would be a more 'exotic' type of fruit (like mango and papaya, say) is a light sauce, like a balsamic vinegarette. I had that one night as well and it was good. I also had 'regular' desserts and they were tasty, the only thing I didn't like was the sugar-free pumpkin pie, and I normally love pumpkin and don't mind sugar-free stuff. Another quick lunch for me was grabbing some grilled chicken breast from the outdoor grill area, and then making up a salad and using some fat-free dressing (they had Kraft brands in bottles, along with other choices) on it.

Fitnesses classes, I'm not sure as I never went. I did chat with someone who said they really enjoyed the morning spinning classes, which come at an extra cost. The pools, however, aren't really geared toward swimming laps, they're small-ish and pretty crowded as a general rule. I've used the fitness centers on various lines and various cruises and it's typically some standard cardio machines (bikes, treadmills, maybe a few other machines) and some basic weight machines and hand weights. Every ship I've been has big picture windows so you can look out over the ocean while exercising.

How easy is it to get fresh fruits -- like apples, bananas, oranges - are they found in the buffets?

And who has taken any fitness classes, such as Zumba on NCL cruises? I'm also interested in swimming laps - are the pools decent for that?

It’s very easy to get fresh fruit at the buffet. They had pineapple, watermelon, apples, bananas, melons and oranges. Not very many berries though. They did have fitness classes but they cost extra. I honestly don’t remember how much and you need to sign up for them. I personally rarely used the elevator and probably walked 12-15,000 steps/day! Unless you have a spa pass, you probably won’t get to do laps unless you’re the first one in the pool. The pools are small and always crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I wouldn't plan on swimming laps, but you might be able to do some sort of water aerobics or treading water.

On my last cruise, my first with a FITBIT, it was super easy to get in 10,000 steps a day without even walking the track.

On my next cruise, I plan to increase activity by walking the track to earn extra FIT points on Freestyle.

• 2 weeks later...

Still trudging along. Haven't posted recently -- but still working on it.

Up to 29 lbs gone in preparation of my September cruise. Original goal was to lose 40 before September but have now revised that goal to 50 lbs.

It's been 10 weeks and it is happening. Beginning 2 weeks ago, I am working on increasing my step count (on FITBIT) to become more active. I am trying for 7000 steps a day. On days that I am able to go to the gym or take a 1.5 mile walk, I can make that goal. On other days, I sometimes find myself doing laps of the house at 10pm to try and make it to 7000.

Made it through Easter with pre-planning and am impatiently waiting for Spring in Southwestern Ohio.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a WW for 18 months and lost 45 pounds total. On my last cruise (Carnival Breakaway) I focused on getting steps in and allowed myself to eat what I wanted. I took the stairs for the whole week and never used the elevator. I worked out in the gym every day. I ended up not gaining weight. So I think that staying active is the key! I will be on the Horizon next November and Guy's Burgers will be my downfall! Probably will take about 20,000 steps to work off one of those!

I have been a WW for 18 months and lost 45 pounds total. On my last cruise (Carnival Breakaway) I focused on getting steps in and allowed myself to eat what I wanted. I took the stairs for the whole week and never used the elevator. I worked out in the gym every day. I ended up not gaining weight. So I think that staying active is the key! I will be on the Horizon next November and Guy's Burgers will be my downfall! Probably will take about 20,000 steps to work off one of those!

That’s awesome that you didn’t take a vacation from your health on your cruise and that you compensated for eating what you wanted with more exercise. Way to go!

Just found this, I joined WW almost a week ago and have been really strict with it...have not dipped into weeklies at all, trying to lose about 20-25 lbs. I have been getting in a ton steps every day so far. Cruise in July, it will have a lot of walking at the ports, so that’s goo. Hoping to not have to buy new shorts in a bigger size this summer

Encouraged to hear success stories of Cruising without gaining.

Slowed down a little this week as I've had some spasms in my back and can't stand upright which makes getting my steps impossible. But it's starting to get better and hopefully by next week I will be back to full power.

Up to 36.4 lost so still on track.

Have a great week everyone!!

Hello all! Fellow WW member here. I joined the day after I got home from my last cruise, so 1/21/2018. While I had a blast on the cruise, I was physically miserable because of my weight and RA. I’ve lost 25 pounds so far, just have another 125 to lose. I’m planning on being at goal for my next cruise, which isn’t until the end of 2019. Personally, I’m loving the new FreeStyle plan, but I know many don’t. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Hello all! Fellow WW member here. I joined the day after I got home from my last cruise, so 1/21/2018. While I had a blast on the cruise, I was physically miserable because of my weight and RA. I’ve lost 25 pounds so far, just have another 125 to lose. I’m planning on being at goal for my next cruise, which isn’t until the end of 2019. Personally, I’m loving the new FreeStyle plan, but I know many don’t. I look forward to getting to know you all!

I've got a bigger goal than you: I'm down 60 pounds, but have another 150 pounds to go. Been at it about five months. I'm in my mid-40s, also female, and I go on 2-3 cruises a year.

Last cruise I actually lost weight. Part of that was made easier by the fact that being heavier than most I can eat more and still lose weight. Getting a lot more walking and swimming in than normal helped, as did the fact that I don't drink much alcohol, which I know can be a challenge for a lot of people on cruises. My general goal was 'one treat per day', though sometimes (like the day I did a culinary walking tour) that was stretched a bit. But like, I might have dessert at dinner. Or I might have something like a burger for lunch. Or I might have a frozen daiquiri in the afternoon. But I wouldn't do all three in one day.

I found breakfast the easiest meal, as I could do an omelet and fruit. I also did a lot of fruit for dessert, both lunch and dinner. Skipping bread helped because man, if I get started! I'd mix and match things, like go get a chicken breast from the grill area at lunch and then some salad and make a grilled chicken salad out of it.

I'm off again for a week in another 23 days!

I've made the decision to jump back on the WW wagon. I've done it off and on since about 2013. I just turned 40 in March and I'm just OVER it right now! I need to get some of this weight off. I've failed at doing it "on my own" and know that if I stick to the plan, I will lose weight. Right now I'm trying to make a go of it using just the app. The meetings are GREAT and I really enjoy them, plus I feel like that knowing someone else will be looking at the numbers on the scale was a motivator. However, I just can't see spending an extra $25/month right now. So, let's see if I can make it happen with just the app, Connect and you! :)

Ideally, I need to lose about 85 to be where WW says I should be for my height. BUT, the last time I was that weight, I looked skinny and that's not what I'm aiming for here. Ideally, I'd like to lose about 40 before I make any decisions about losing more. I need to look at this in smaller goals. So, for now, my hope is to lose 20 to get back to my lowest weight in the last 4 years. Then, I'll work on the next 20!

We have a cruise planned for March 2020 and I just keep thinking about how amazing it would be if I was down the 85lbs and what that would be like. I also don't have the confidence in my own perseverance to get there. Sooo, for now, we'll focus on the first 20.

Today I've discovered an new yummy snack - sliced cucumber with Trader Joes Everything but the Bagel seasoning!

Hi eh! Good for you! You CAN do this. I don’t know if you’ve tried the new program, but I love it. I was losing at a pace I have never seen before. I use a lot of zero point foods, which helps. I have to admit, I love the meetings. I find them so helpful. If you have trouble staying motivated, go back! What I told myself is, the meetings aren’t cheap, but neither is have multiple sizes of clothes in my closet that I couldn’t wear. I also have a great muffin recipe that is only 1 point but tastes like 20. If you’d like, or anyone else wants it, I’d share it with you! Hang in there!

Back from our first cruise. :( I gained about 5 lbs, but all things considered, I'm OK with that. We certainly walked a lot - several days with 10,000+ steps. I didn't concentrate too much on food - rarely ate potatoes, tried to get a lot of fruit, veggies. Sherbet instead of fancier desserts sometimes. Other than walking, I didn't get any extra exercise in. Took the steps a lot.

I exercise (swim, dance, Zumba) a lot -- and though I'm heavy, my mobility is pretty good. I saw a lot of folks struggle getting around the ship, and that's good motivation to stay as active as possible.

Oh, I wasn't being hard on myself. I am OK with the deviation. My :( was about the cruise being over!

Ok that’s good [emoji3] yeah I know how you feel about your cruise being over, it goes by so fast it’s time to plan another cruise [emoji12]

Ok friends! Some days ago someone asked for me to share “the” muffin recipe. A couple notes: I use Splenda instead of sugar. I use Kodak Baking Mix instead of flour. I use Fage Fat free Greek yogurt and recommend you use a good brand, so as not to have any sour flavor, although that’s just a preference someone passed on to me. A single recipe makes 10 one point muffins. I like to double the recipe, still make 10 but they are double sized.

12 regular-sized muffins (if you make 10 muffins, they come to exactly 1 point each)

1 Cup Kodak Baking Mix or flour (baking mix has less points)

1 Tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 Cup (heaping) Splenda

1 egg

1/4 cup (heaping) fat free Greek yogurt (can use up to 1/2 Cup for extra moisture and protein)

1 Cup mashed bananas-a little more makes muffins nice and moist

1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately, then mix together. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 15 minutes. Remove when toothpick comes out clean.

Store in a zip lock or covered container in refrigerator

Can use different fruit combos: pumpkin/cinnamon, applesauce/cinnamon, blueberry

ENJOY!

Greetings Fellow WW Cruisers~ New to this thread, but not new to cruising! In fact, all of my cruising has contributed to my current weight! Joined WW back in April after spending 12 days at sea during January - March! I love the new WW program and so far have lost 10 lbs... I ultimately would like to lose another 30 lbs by my next cruise 9/3/18 and yet another 20ish by the 10/31, which averages about 10 lbs per month :) My first goal is to get under 200 lbs!