All Things EARTH... part 2

Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:37 PM.
Florida
2,191 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Anita , a lot of the Alaska tour people leave Alaska after the last cruise ship leaves because the towns basically get deserted . That might be why you are having trouble contacting one of the operators .We went whale watching in Juneau with a small private company . We then went to the glacier and stopped at the Red dog Saloon .The Red Dog Saloon has Wyatt Earp's gun on display .It is a fun place to stop at for a drink . They have live music and the decor is old time Alaska .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
36 cruises -Carnival , NCL, RCL, Celebrity ,Costa
North Carolina
3,683 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Yes, the population in the port towns fluctuates greatly with the season. I'm aware of the seasonal jobs that help support the tourist industry. The man we were going to go fishing with lives in Juneau full time and has for years. He runs a shore fishing excursion where he would just take you shore fishing and supply you with the gear to fish. I believe that his business has basically been shut down because of the tight fishing regulations that have been imposed because of the decline in fish populations. There are many places where you just can't fish period. And the majority of the king salmon fishing season is catch and release only. I'm thinking Abe has figured out a different line of work for a while.

But it's fine. There's a lot of information online and our trip is after the June 15 catch and release only time period. We were already planning on bringing our own fishing rods so it's really not a big deal. It's just a matter of needing to do more research than we would have done had we been able to rely on a guide. Oh. And having to rent a car. But overall, renting the car will be make our overall expenses less in Juneau.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Some people celebrate their 20th anniversary...
But we know the real party is at 21 years!!!
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,437 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Wow, you're packing your fishing poles? Do you have cases for them? I used to fish with my dad a lot. I miss that. I'm curious as to how you will be packing them, Anita. It seems it would be quite a challenge to pack them safely so that they don't break.

I am currently in between a few things, and the weather is beautiful here today. I know I will probably be heading outside to do some hard work or help my husband clean the garage. But I am scrolling through Macy's right now, and have seen some very pretty things.

This dress here is just beautiful. I think it's too light in color for me, perhaps. It's a print! But I like the print. I don't know if I would like it on, but you never know.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...%26slotId%3D26

Then I saw this casual dress, and it is a lot like the idea of what I've been looking for. I think there is too much fabric for me though. A-line would be fine, but this is a swing dress. I'm loving the smoked salmon color.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/s...e%26slotId%3D8

I think it might be worth trying, but I am almost positive I won't be happy with the shape. If the quality is good enough and I really love it, it might be worth altering. The price is decent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Explorer of the Seas - August 2008
Explorer of the Seas - August 2009
Monarch of the Seas - May 2011
Freedom of the Seas - February 2013
Majesty of the Seas - November 2013
Freedom of the Seas - May 2014
Enchantment of the Seas - November 2014
Jewel of the Seas - May 2015
Brilliance of the Seas - February 2016
Allure of the Seas - June 2016
Adventure of the Seas - September 2017
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,437 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
The color for this is listed as black gold. I found it intriguing. I was just thinking to look at it, if the neckline was different, it might work for me. Then I saw the color description and wondered if the gold was just making the black look brown to me.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...%26slotId%3D12
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

North Carolina
3,683 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Nice dresses Laurie! That full length one is beautiful...pretty print. I like the graceful way the fabric flows around the body. The print seems to give an overall more colorful kind of color rather than a more pale color, so it might be wonderful. Very summery to me. I like the shape of the casual dress. It would really depend where the fullness of the skirt would start as to how flattering it would be. I think Margaret mentioned needing the fullness to start below the hip level...I'm the same way. I think that black and gold is very bronze! I've seen fabrics like that before and even though the fabric is a blend the overall impression is more of a solid color.

The fishing poles need to be ones that break up into 3 pieces, not just 2. They have hard tube cases that protect the rods. The reels are packed separately. The duffels I ordered are 33" long. The pole cases are more like 36 but I think we'll be able to pack the rod cases on bit on the diagonal. The test pack will reveal whether or not this will all work out. Got notification that the duffels were labeled for shipment today.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,437 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
I just love this swimsuit:

https://www.soma.com/store/browse/pr...ece%20Swimsuit

Anita, my dad mostly used poles that were two pieces, so I think that is why I was thinking it could be an issue for you. He always laughed, because I loved to fish but I would never take the fish off the hook. I'd tell him I don't like to touch the fish. There is a picture of me when I was little, that has me and my sisters in it. I'm crying while one of my sisters is holding the fish. I caught it, but didn't want to even hold it for the picture and I was so upset. It provided many laughs over the years.

I was thinking the same thing with floral print dress - that the print would make it seem like there was more overall color to it. Prints are something that I want to figure out. I don't wear a lot of them, but when I do, I don't necessarily see a pattern. I'm hoping to learn why I like certain prints and not others, because it will help me shop. Most of my purchases are online, since when you walk into a store, the variety is limited, especially with dresses. Macy's, Lord and Taylor, and Kohls, are a big sea of black.

I know that I don't like geometric prints, or plaids, stripes or polka dots. I can tell that I'm drawn to things that are more serene, if that makes sense. An example would be the yellow dress from the last cruise. I think any print that involves a chiffon overlay immediately has a certain amount of softness due to the sheer quality of the fabric. I like tonal prints. To me, lace is a tonal print because of the pattern involved.

You know what I love about ordering online? When it arrives and you get to open the package, as if it were a present. Right now, I'm waiting for my new Nook cover to come in! Exciting!! I'm so silly sometimes...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

North Carolina
3,683 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I love the front of that swim suit, but I dislike the back. I have what they call a high hip, which makes my butt look especially big because it appears to start so high up on my body...like at my waist. I have a swim suit from Athleta with a back like that and I really don't like it at all. It's the swim suit that I designated for the Thellassotherapy pools! It's all faded in streaks and horrid looking for all that the material and seams are still in really good shape.

Love the zipper in the front but I'd be worried about it. For looks, it doesn't appear to have any fabric behind the zipper to be between the zipper and your skin. Not sure how I feel about that. I don't necessarily think it would catch on skin...but IDK...

Beautiful color. The breaking up of the body with the princess seams is nice...and I like the ruching.

I think you like florals. Not tight busy florals, but larger, more impressionistic florals. And the look of watercolors. Definitely a kind of tone on tone...less dramatic floral.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Colorado Springs, CO (originally Boston MA)
4,419 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Too funny, I tried that black gold dress on at Macy’s on a Friday. I thought it’d be great for my reunion. It really did nothing for me. Les’s comment was, it’s really shiny... think I’ll stick with my jumpsuit. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S.S. Norway, March 17, 1995
Rest all Celebrity or Royal
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Constellation, Feb 22, 2006
Constellation, Feb 14, 2010
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Constellation, Mar 24, 2012
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Navigator of the Seas, Nov 30, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Nov 13, 2015
Celebrity Solstice, Apr 26, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Apr 23 & 30, 2017
Eclipse, November 26, 2017
Eclipse, September 22, 2019 (50th Anniversary Cruise)
Les & Melody
Florida
2,191 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
I really like that black gold dress and the full length dress is pretty but being super practical I would wonder how much use I would get out of a dress like that ? I recently read an article on not buying any clothes for a year and just shopping your closet . I am intrigued with this idea since I tend to wear the same items and some things just sit there unworn. I don't think I could go a whole year but maybe six months ? Okay maybe three months !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
36 cruises -Carnival , NCL, RCL, Celebrity ,Costa
Canada's West Coast
2,050 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Interesting black gold dress. Am I the only one who can't open the two other dress links from Laurie?
Good opinion re swimming suit zipper Anita.