Lobster Night

Great so you’re not even getting real lobster on lobster night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I vaguely remember Long John Silvers getting in trouble something like 15 years ago because they were selling "lobster bites" that were really made out of langostino, although they might have been using squat lobster rather than spiny.

That said, whatever you call them, they taste pretty good. Not nearly as good as Maine lobster, but that's a pretty high bar.

I have been cruising since 1981 and never had whole lobster served to me in the MDR. They always have been tails. Orginally Maine lobsters but now langostino. can't remember when that switch started.

So concur with the below.

I have been cruising since 1986 on various mass-market cruise lines. Not once in all of that time was I ever served a whole lobster. The only change that I have encountered is that it used to be offered as surf and turf. Now if you want that you have to order two main dishes. Perhaps the luxury lines serve a whole lobster. It's just a matter of whether you want to pay out of your right pocket or your left pocket.

I watched a documentary on cruise ship food called Mega Food (its on Netflix now, season 1 episode 2—it uses Oasis). It shows that the tails go on board frozen. The day of lobster service they defrost them. If they’re cheap the next day, I’d imagine because they couldn’t get rid of them all. I wouldn’t call it “not fresh” because it would only have been defrosted about 24 hours for next day’s dinner.

Check out the documentary. It was pretty cool.

Harmony 06/02/18

I have been cruising since 1981 and never had whole lobster served to me in the MDR. They always have been tails. Orginally Maine lobsters but now langostino. can't remember when that switch started.

So concur with the below.

I actually have been served whole lobsters (Maine cold water) on cruises. I started cruising in 1976.

I had the whole lobster on Chandris, Sitmar, Holland America, and Royal Caribbean (before the downward repositioning of the brand to entry level).

Of course, ships were much smaller then with usually less than a thousand passengers and fares were higher.

The last whole lobster I had was sometime in the late 80's - very early 90's; I can't remember.

• 9 months later...