Pauline Frommer Said Costa Is Doomed......

nycruise

Will Costa Continue As A Separate Brand?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Will Costa Continue As A Separate Brand?

• Costa Will Continue As A Separate Brand
    • Costa Will Be Re-Branded Under A New Name
    • Costa Ships Will Be Merged Into Existing Brands

It's a big mess and I said "re-branding" would be needed for Costa. Don't think Carnival wants to just drop the name and ships, nor sell it off to a potential or likely competitor.

From the business section of the Miami Herald, in the home base city of Carnival, they have this headline in the last couple of hours: "Costa ship crippled by fire to reach land Thursday" with these highlights: "Passengers were being held in communal rooms rather than cabins and were likely to sleep on outside decks. Tuesday, passengers were given a cold breakfast. Also a concern: the threat of piracy. The region off the coast of Tanzania where the ship was drifting has seen attacks by Somali pirates, though officials said the risk was not high. A Costa executive said a nine-member Italian military team on anti-pirate duty was aboard. The 20-year-old cruise ship left Madagascar Saturday and had been scheduled to arrive Tuesday at the port of Victoria in the Seychelles."

From a business standpoint, the story noted: "The incident was Costa’s second since the year began. On Jan. 13, the Costa Concordia struck a reef and capsized. The shipwreck is believed to have killed 32 people. The incident caused a drop in future cruise bookings and hit cruise prices throughout the industry. But the latest problem had little effect Monday on Carnival’s value; its stock closed at $29.96, down just a penny from the previous close. The fire aboard Costa Allegra follows several other incidents that have put cruise vacations in a harsh light since the Concordia disaster, including norovirus outbreaks on a few ships and the recent robbery of several Carnival guests during a tour in Puerto Vallarta."

Carnival officials are playing the Simon & Garfunkel "Sounds of Silence" song in order to lessen the linkage between Costa and the parent company on this latest problem. Remember later 2010 when the stricken, large Carnival ship had to be towed back to San Diego from off of the Mexico Coast?

This story had a picture of the French fishing vessel, The Talenduic towing Costa Allegra.

Full story at:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/28/2665122/costa-ship-to-reach-land-thursday.html

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,001 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I disagree. I do not think the Costa brand name is doomed.

I believe they will have a difficult time re-building while still being in the media spotlight over the coming year until the Concordia is removed, but they will survive as a brand.

She expects the line to be re-branded under a differnet name or the ships to be merged into other existing Carnival lines over the next year or two.

Do you think Costa can continue as a viable brand?

I have no idea. At least this time nobody died. It was a rotten vacation for the passengers, but nobody died. I certainly would never sail Costa under any circumstances, but honestly, I probably wouldn't have before this year, it's the wrong demographics for me. And then they kill passengers or strand them. Not my idea of fun.

Who is Pauline Frommer and why should I care what she says?

She might be called the "First Daughter Of Budget Travel" She grew up around her father’s guidebook empire and is currently the editor of her own series (Pauline Frommer’s Guides). She is also a CNN travel regular and hosts a weekly radio show, with her dad, the more famous, Arthur. In the U.S., the Frommer books are one of the four major travel books series. Google her name and read more. She has some interesting ideas, thoughts and experiences. Does this help?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,001 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Costa will remain as a brand. It will take a while to rebuild confidence, but it is not doomed in any way. Absorbing the ships into other lines would be difficult. The amount of refurbishing that would need to be done, plus the decor is unsuitable for most Carnival Corp. lines except Carnival itself. There is no way on earth P&O or Cunard would take a Costa ship without completely redecorating it. In addition to that, the lines probably wouldn't be able to fill the ships.

If it doesn't remain as a brand, I can't imagine it would be renamed Carnival or similar. Could they perhaps reinvigorate one of the old Italian cruise brands like Sitmar?

It would be a shame to lose the European identity.

I'm in the rebranding camp for now. The reason is not so much to do with the current situation but the Concordia. The removal of the ship is going to be in the European News for a year, and the various trials and legal proceedings possibly way beyond that. Unless there is a quick resolution, I see the line rebranded with a new name and logo but same ships and theme. It's the most cost effective solution. The new name will be Euro-Centric, something like 'Europa Lines'

Costa became part of Carnival Corp in 2000, and prior to the Concordia accident generated about 16% of CC's revenue (Cruise Market Watch. 2011-11-20). So Costa's contribution to CC is not insignificant.

Costa also controls/operates ADIA cruises in Germany and Ibero Cruises in Spain. I think the ADIA transfer occurred in 2002 as part of the P&O Princess/Carnival purchase. Not sure about the integration of Ibero into the Costa/Carnival Corp family.

[A bit more history: After the Titanic was lost, about 15 of the White Star Line ships were torpedoed/mined/attacked during WW I. After the war, White Star Line was acquired/merged with Cunard which was eventually bought by Carnival Corporation. Interesting linage, me thinks.]

All of that said, the Costa name is certainly tainted, but it isn't going to be easy to simply erase the big "C" from the ships funnels.

Cheers!

I'm in the rebranding camp for now. The reason is not so much to do with the current situation but the Concordia. The removal of the ship is going to be in the European News for a year, and the various trials and legal proceedings possibly way beyond that. Unless there is a quick resolution, I see the line rebranded with a new name and logo but same ships and theme. It's the most cost effective solution. The new name will be Euro-Centric, something like 'Europa Lines'

The problem is, rebranding and then having to build up confidence and popularity is akin to setting up a new cruise line. People know the Costa name and brand, and there are many who enjoy sailing with Costa and enjoy the experience. Just scrapping that identity would be a very costly maneuver, and would likely result in a huge decrease in popularity, both amongst existing Costa regulars and new cruisers.

The Concordia incident is a huge blip on Costa's track record, but as people have said, an airline doesn't simply rebrand every time a plane goes down killing hundreds, so why should Costa drop it's well known brand.

The problem is, rebranding and then having to build up confidence and popularity is akin to setting up a new cruise line. People know the Costa name and brand, and there are many who enjoy sailing with Costa and enjoy the experience. Just scrapping that identity would be a very costly maneuver, and would likely result in a huge decrease in popularity, both amongst existing Costa regulars and new cruisers.

The Concordia incident is a huge blip on Costa's track record, but as people have said, an airline doesn't simply rebrand every time a plane goes down killing hundreds, so why should Costa drop it's well known brand.

Isnt it easier to re-brand an item than to build one that has a disasterous past where lives have been lost?

rgds

:D

Isnt it easier to re-brand an item than to build one that has a disasterous past where lives have been lost?

rgds

:D

Perhaps, but this is only one incident. If the line had a horrendous track record, then it would be easier to rebrand. But Costa does not. As I said, this is a major blip, but not a brand destroying one.

Perhaps, but this is only one incident. If the line had a horrendous track record, then it would be easier to rebrand. But Costa does not. As I said, this is a major blip, but not a brand destroying one.
One major blip, glad im not on your radar lol......

rgds

Sinking and a flood (One blip) ???

Costa became part of Carnival Corp in 2000, and prior to the Concordia accident generated about 16% of CC's revenue (Cruise Market Watch. 2011-11-20). So Costa's contribution to CC is not insignificant.

Costa also controls/operates ADIA cruises in Germany and Ibero Cruises in Spain. I think the ADIA transfer occurred in 2002 as part of the P&O Princess/Carnival purchase. Not sure about the integration of Ibero into the Costa/Carnival Corp family.

[A bit more history: After the Titanic was lost, about 15 of the White Star Line ships were torpedoed/mined/attacked during WW I. After the war, White Star Line was acquired/merged with Cunard which was eventually bought by Carnival Corporation. Interesting linage, me thinks.]

All of that said, the Costa name is certainly tainted, but it isn't going to be easy to simply erase the big "C" from the ships funnels.

Cheers!

White Star Line merged with Cunard in 1934 - TWENTY TWO years after the Titanic went down - so you can't say the two events were connected.

Ron

It's not as hard nowadays. Brands have done it in the US before (ValuJet, PhillipMorris, Arthur Andersen to name some of the biggest). There'd be some impact but I don't think it would be earth shattering.

I think nothing will happen until the Concordia legal battle heats up. If something comes up that makes Costa look culpable, I can easily see a name change

White Star Line merged with Cunard in 1934 - TWENTY TWO years after the Titanic went down - so you can't say the two events were connected.

Ron

Nope, not a connection ... but an interesting piece of history was my point. Especially the sacrifice made to their fleet during WWI.

Take care.

White Star's flagship sank on her maiden voyage and took over a thousand with her- not only did they survive, some of their best years were in the 1920's before being forced to merge with Cunard in the 30's by the British Government. If they didn't go under, why would Costa?

Just a thought but how many airlines have changed their names after they have had an aircraft crash ?

Changed names? No, but after the Lockerbee tragedy, a decline in passenger numbers was instrumental in finishing off Pan Am. It wasn't the only reason, but it was a major contributing factor to Pan Am's demise.

Archived