Rules for conversation in the dining room!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:52 PM.
1,360 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally Posted by electro
Would you, CruiseMom42 and helpthejuggler all come on my next cruise and be our table mates?

This trip is to celebrate my DD completing her masters degree, it will be interesting when people ask what she studied.
When I tell people I usually get an "Oh", and then they change the subject.

Lois

What a kind and generous offer, do you include any OBC?
Where are we going?

I am requesting a balcony and beverage card.

I would love to see Israel, Australia,India, Barbados, Russia, Portifino and the Easter Islands...all in one cruise. When shall we go?

Okay, Lois...I gotta ask...your DD? What is her degree in ?

Denise
20,575 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by electro
Would you, CruiseMom42 and helpthejuggler all come on my next cruise and be our table mates?

This trip is to celebrate my DD completing her masters degree, it will be interesting when people ask what she studied.

Lois

I'm in!

Word of warning -- just don't ask me about ancient history over dinner. I can go on all night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wherever the wind takes me I travel as a visitor. (Horace)
1,304 Posts
Joined Jan 2011

Lois
Can I come too? I promise to be polite while discussing any or all of the above topics!

What does your DD study?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2016 - Celebrity Reflection (Caribbean)
2016 - Harmony of the Seas
2015 - Disney Fantasy (Caribbean)
2015 - Celebrity Reflection (Caribbean)
2015 - Norwegian Dawn (Bermuda)
2014 - Norwegian Breakaway (Bermuda)
2014 - Celebrity Constellation (Caribbean)
2013 - Celebrity Reflection (Caribbean)
2013 - Caribbean Princess (Caribbean)
2012 - Coral Princess (Alaska)
2012 - Norwegian Dawn (Bermuda)
1982 - Costa Carla C (Bahamas)
1967 - ZIM Lines Shalom (Montreal)
1987 - Costa Americanis (Caribbean)

Warminster, PA
294 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by beachbum53
After reading through everyone's comments, there's one topic I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned, but could lead to some very funny comments. I think most husbands will agree with me on this. A wife should not mention that her husband's snoring sounds like a lumberjack clearing a forest! And if she does, it's only fair that the husband gets to say that she is not allowed to put her ice-cold feet on him!
Unless it's to mention the fact that those Breathe Right strips they left in our bathroom on the Ecstasy really work! I tried one out as a goof the first night and now I am a true believer.

And no longer a lumberjack. But I'm still OK.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Elvis Andretti (not my real name)
Warminster, PA

<DD>
</DD>
Warminster, PA
294 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Amberle3
Precisely. As an athiest I often have to put up with the strongly devout trying to "save" me. I don't need saving, thank you very much. I don't try to convince them that their religious beliefs are wrong, why do they try to convince me that I'm wrong? And why is it that I have to be respectful of other's religious beliefs, when they're not respectful of mine? I don't believe in religion, that's my belief. Please don't try to shove yours down my throat. And yes, that's what very often ends up happening because invariably someone will decide that I'm obviously just not educated enough about religion or haven't heard enough about it or that it's their mission to "save" me, and from then on every single interaction with them includes "friendly" lectures on why I simply must see the light and embrace their religion.

One of these days I'm going to make up religion centered around my cats, and when people try to "save" me I'm going to give them literature about the Great Cat. Maybe then they'll just decide that I'm nuts and leave me alone.

I'm perfectly fine having a debate on the merits of and differences between religions - but honestly I'd rather not have an intensive debate about *anything* at the dinner table.
Have you heard the good news about the flying spaghetti monster?

http://www.venganza.org/

He boiled for your sins.

That usually brings THAT conversation to a screeching halt.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Warminster, PA

<DD>
</DD>
1,360 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
I'm in!

Word of warning -- just don't ask me about ancient history over dinner. I can go on all night.

You can school us on Roman and Greek history...and I will take us to the more current subject of the British Monarchy starting with the Plantagenet period to the current reign of the Saxe-Coburg ( Windsor ) family.

Fun Fun!!!
Ottawa, On, Canada
1,421 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Where are we going?
Baltic/Russia on MSC in Aug.

Can I come too? I promise to be polite while discussing any or all of the above topics!

Absolutely, the more people to have great conversation with, the better.

What does your DD study?
She is doing her Master Degree in Holocaust Studies. She will graduate in June.

She has a BA in Religion and a BA in History.

Lois
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises
NCL Epic Feb 2017
MSC Splendida Med, B2B Dec 2016
NCL Breakaway Feb 2016 14 day
NCL Epic May 2015 Med, Bday cruise
NCL Pearl Feb 2015 Eastern Carib
NCL Sky Feb 2015 Bahamas
NCL Star April 2013 from NOLA
MSC Magnifica Aug 2012 Baltics/Russia
NCL Dawn 10 day Feb-Mar 2012
NCL Jewel Oct 2011
NCL Pearl Feb 2011
MSC Fantasia Dec 2010 New Years Med cruise
RC Legend of the Seas May 2010 Asia
NCL Jewel Nov 2009 sisters cruise
Celebrity Summit April 2009 TA
MSC Orchestra Mar 2008 Med cruise
Carnival Victory B2B Jan 2007
Land trip to Italy March 2006
NCL Sea Feb 2005
Celebrity Horizon Nov 2004
Canrival Paradise Feb 2004
Carnival Paradise March 2003 with DD
Howard County, Maryland
1,384 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by Amberle3
One of these days I'm going to make up religion centered around my cats, and when people try to "save" me I'm going to give them literature about the Great Cat. Maybe then they'll just decide that I'm nuts and leave me alone.
My religion does not allow me to worship cats. However, if I'm allowed to just sit there and pet them for an hour, I'd be glad to attend your services!

Originally posted by Warmer Climes
For example, the party we were seated with a few years ago spent most of our dinners together demanding that I defend U.S. policies around the world.
I wish I could have been there. I would have just glared at them and said "For the past 100 years or so, the United States has spent its blood and treasure defending or rescuing pretty much every other country in the world from tyranny, oppression, Communism, Fascism, ****sm, drought, famine, and natural disasters. And what has your nation done for us? Uh-huh, that's what I thought. Given that, I hardly feel I have to justify our actions to ungrateful whiners like you."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oct. 2005 -- Grandeur of the Seas -- Bermuda
Jan. 2006 -- Enchantment of the Seas -- Western Caribbean
May 2010 -- Grandeur of the Seas -- Western Caribbean
Oct. 2010 -- Radiance of the Seas -- Western Caribbean
Apr. 2012 -- Disney Magic -- Eastern Caribbean
Apr. 2014 -- Navigator of the Seas -- Western Caribbean
Jun. 2016 -- Grandeur of the Seas -- Canada / New England
Howard County, Maryland
1,384 Posts
Joined Oct 2010

I wish I could come. My knowledge of the Holocaust is pretty much limited to reading Hitler's Willing Executioners, so I would relish the opportunity to learn from your daughter. I suspect, though, that more than a few folks would find our conversation to be distasteful.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oct. 2005 -- Grandeur of the Seas -- Bermuda
Jan. 2006 -- Enchantment of the Seas -- Western Caribbean
May 2010 -- Grandeur of the Seas -- Western Caribbean
Oct. 2010 -- Radiance of the Seas -- Western Caribbean
Apr. 2012 -- Disney Magic -- Eastern Caribbean
Apr. 2014 -- Navigator of the Seas -- Western Caribbean
Jun. 2016 -- Grandeur of the Seas -- Canada / New England
1,360 Posts
Joined Apr 2010

--------------

Lois, could you also pay for your daughter to attend our cruise?? I would love to talk to her !!!
Dallas, Texas
4,635 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
I say, get it all out of the way with this opening question: Should the government ban prayers in school for a girl who is about to get an abortion but cannot really afford it due to the bad economy, and should I have sent that girl the $1000 I paid for this cruise instead of sitting here watching you overweight people eat that disgusting escargot?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SS Norway – Sep 1997
Norwegian Sea – Jan 1999 & Apr 2000
Carnival Jubilee – Oct 2002
Norwegian Star – May 2003 (Hawaii)
Carnival Jubilee – Sep 2003
Carnival Conquest – Nov 2003
Rhapsody of the Seas – Jan 2004
Carnival Ecstasy – Dec 2004
Carnival Elation – Nov 2005
Splendour of the Seas – Jan 2006
Rhapsody of the Seas – May 2006
Carnival Ecstasy – Dec 2006 (New Year's Eve)
Splendour of the Seas – Feb 2007
Voyager of the Seas – Mar 2008
Carnival Ecstasy – Jan 2009
Voyager of the Seas – Mar 2009
Carnival Ecstasy – Jan 2010
Voyager of the Seas – Mar 2010 & Dec 2010 & Mar 2011
Carnival Conquest - May 2011
Mariner of the Seas - Dec 2011 & Mar 2012 & Dec 2012 & Mar 2013
Navigator of the Seas - Dec 2013 & May 2014 & Nov 2014 & March 2015 & Sept 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Mar 2016
1,360 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Should the government ban prayers in school for a girl who is about to get an abortion but cannot really afford it due to the bad economy, and should I have sent that girl the $1000 I paid for this cruise instead of sitting here watching you overweight people eat that disgusting escargot?
-----------------------------

Yes. And probably.
Erial, New Jersey
1,900 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by ElvisAndretti
Have you heard the good news about the flying spaghetti monster?

http://www.venganza.org/

He boiled for your sins.

That usually brings THAT conversation to a screeching halt.
Another stopper:

I tell them I am a Baal worshiper and sacrificed my firstborn to Moloch and the darn security people gave me trouble about bringing my Asherath Pole on board.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Doug

NCL Getaway March 2018
Crown Princess March 2017
Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess November 2012
Caribbean Princess May 2010
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Caribbean Princess July 2006
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Warminster, PA
294 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Doug R.
Another stopper:

I tell them I am a Baal worshiper and sacrificed my firstborn to Moloch and the darn security people gave me trouble about bringing my Asherath Pole on board.
Got to love a troublemaker.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Warminster, PA

<DD>
</DD>
Ottawa, On, Canada
1,421 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by IndyDenise

--------------

Lois, could you also pay for your daughter to attend our cruise?? I would love to talk to her !!!
I'm sure she would love that but unfortunately, I can only afford to pay for one cruise for her.

Lois
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises
NCL Epic Feb 2017
MSC Splendida Med, B2B Dec 2016
NCL Breakaway Feb 2016 14 day
NCL Epic May 2015 Med, Bday cruise
NCL Pearl Feb 2015 Eastern Carib
NCL Sky Feb 2015 Bahamas
NCL Star April 2013 from NOLA
MSC Magnifica Aug 2012 Baltics/Russia
NCL Dawn 10 day Feb-Mar 2012
NCL Jewel Oct 2011
NCL Pearl Feb 2011
MSC Fantasia Dec 2010 New Years Med cruise
RC Legend of the Seas May 2010 Asia
NCL Jewel Nov 2009 sisters cruise
Celebrity Summit April 2009 TA
MSC Orchestra Mar 2008 Med cruise
Carnival Victory B2B Jan 2007
Land trip to Italy March 2006
NCL Sea Feb 2005
Celebrity Horizon Nov 2004
Canrival Paradise Feb 2004
Carnival Paradise March 2003 with DD
Central PA
657 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Electro: DW and I reenact WW2, we are total history geeks, err, buffs, and one of her favorite subsets of study is the Holocaust!

We're in, make two places at the table, please!

Oh, and if you really want an eye-opening dinner conversation, sit down with a bunch of old, burned-out Paramedics, Emergency Medical Technicians, or ER staff when they are trading "war stories". We have a tendency toward discussing the REALLY WEIRD things that patients present as medical problems. And our appetites aren't usually affected by the gory details or situations that make most sane people run for the hills! Our main problem is to keep the ambient conversation below the hearing level of our neighboring diners to prevent them from reaching for a "distress bag".
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11/2005 NCL Dawn 11-day Thanksgiving Cruise (Jamaica, Caymans, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Nassau)

Ok, tell me one more time...WHERE am I going, and WHY am I in this handbasket...?
20,575 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by capncarp
Oh, and if you really want an eye-opening dinner conversation, sit down with a bunch of old, burned-out Paramedics, Emergency Medical Technicians, or ER staff when they are trading "war stories". We have a tendency toward discussing the REALLY WEIRD things that patients present as medical problems. And our appetites aren't usually affected by the gory details or situations that make most sane people run for the hills! Our main problem is to keep the ambient conversation below the hearing level of our neighboring diners to prevent them from reaching for a "distress bag".
LOL, try eating with a group of the folks I work with -- veterinarians.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wherever the wind takes me I travel as a visitor. (Horace)
65 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by bus man
My religion does not allow me to worship cats. However, if I'm allowed to just sit there and pet them for an hour, I'd be glad to attend your services!
Hate to tell you this, but as far as the cats are concerned that pretty much is worshiping them They would also be very pleased if you brought them offerings of tuna.
65 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Doug R.
Another stopper:

Not really related but I'll share it anyway... when I was in my late teens I bought a lovely pendant, it's a silver snake wrapped around an obsidian crystal. I didn't buy it for any particular reason other than that I liked it. But I found it would come in quite handy, if I happened to be wearing it and was being hit on/pestered by some annoying guy I'd just touch the pendant and look him right in the eyes and say "Oh I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to mate outside the cult". That would usually do the trick.