Chocolate ice cream and Ship-on-a-Stick

kangaand2roos

My two kids and I are leaving a week from today on the Pride. My 9yo son (who hasn't cruised in 4 years) has two goals to make his vacation complete. He wants to eat a lot of chocolate ice cream (he suggested I only pack brown t-shirts so the drips won't show) and to win a Ship-on-a-Stick.

What is his best chance for a SOS? Are there many opportunities in Camp Carnival? He is super athletic, but obviously just a kid, so I don't think he would be competitive in, for example, a free throw contest with adults. He's awesome at shuffle board. Would he be allowed in a shuffleboard competition with adults? Trivia is probably out except perhaps if he got lucky in a multiple-choice competition.

Don't get me wrong. He will be fine if he doesn't win one, and he only wants to win one on his own merits. I'm only looking for as many kid-friendly opportunities as possible.

Now...I need some brown shirts ;)

My two kids and I are leaving a week from today on the Pride. My 9yo son (who hasn't cruised in 4 years) has two goals to make his vacation complete. He wants to eat a lot of chocolate ice cream (he suggested I only pack brown t-shirts so the drips won't show) and to win a Ship-on-a-Stick.

What is his best chance for a SOS? Are there many opportunities in Camp Carnival? He is super athletic, but obviously just a kid, so I don't think he would be competitive in, for example, a free throw contest with adults. He's awesome at shuffle board. Would he be allowed in a shuffleboard competition with adults? Trivia is probably out except perhaps if he got lucky in a multiple-choice competition.

Don't get me wrong. He will be fine if he doesn't win one, and he only wants to win one on his own merits. I'm only looking for as many kid-friendly opportunities as possible.

My 7 year old won a medal on Splendor in September, being the loudest kiddo at bingo in the theater. Was announced at that time, no more SOS, It could have been just that sailing, not sure....

Trivia as all I can think of. But I was going to suggest you contact John Heald on his Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald and give him your cabin# the day before you sail and he will send him one. But since he wants to win it on his own maybe play trivia.

My 7 year old won a medal on Splendor in September, being the loudest kiddo at bingo in the theater. Was announced at that time, no more SOS, It could have been just that sailing, not sure....

They still give SOS. They give medals for other prizes. SOS is only if you play trivia or other activities and win.

Trivia as all I can think of. But I was going to suggest you contact John Heald on his Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald and give him your cabin# the day before you sail and he will send him one. But since he wants to win it on his own maybe play trivia.

Thank you! I thought for a second about John Heald, but he wants to actually win one. And, with the loss of his father, John has more important things now than a SOS for my son. DS will survive if he doesn't get one. He just won't be happy about it;)

Try the bean bag toss. AKA corn hole. My daughter won one in that on a cruise a year ago. Bragged alot as I had never won one as of then. Alot of time they let the kids get closer than the adults. If there are alot of kids playing they may even give one for the highest finishing boy and girl along with the men and women.

I did this last year when we cruised.....John is awesome!!!

Soft serve is choc, vanilla, twist. Froz Yog I think is vanilla, strawberry. But I don't do the froz yog. :) In the dining room, you can get scooped choc ice-cream as well as butter pecan, vanilla, and I think a couple others :)

If you play trivia games together they will award at least one to the winning team. (Sometimes giving medals to the rest of the teammates). Our goal each trip is to have one SOS per sailing. So far, we are way ahead of the curve! Good luck to you!

Thank you! I thought for a second about John Heald, but he wants to actually win one. And, with the loss of his father, John has more important things now than a SOS for my son. DS will survive if he doesn't get one. He just won't be happy about it;)

That's really a nice way to look at things:) I hope both of you win ships on a stick !!

My daughter won one last cruise by calling into the morning show and talking to the Cruise director (original prize was a bottle of champagne but since she was under age the delivery person gave her a SOS and my husband and I got the champagne). Only ship we won that cruise since we didn't get to do a lot of trivias. Good luck and have a great time.

They still give SOS. They give medals for other prizes. SOS is only if you play trivia or other activities and win.

I won a ship on a stick for trivia in December. I have also won medals for trivia. I think it is up to the CD or staff of which to give.

He said a medal would be good too if he didn't get a SOS!

Hopefully he gets both! On week long cruises we shoot for a medal for each of us and a SOS. The SOS's get added to my "collection" but the medals are all the same, simply saying "carnival" not the ship name... So I don't know which medal came from which voyage. :(

Really, it's just a fun way to spend family time together onboard. I hope you and your son have a blast!

Hopefully he gets both! On week long cruises we shoot for a medal for each of us and a SOS. The SOS's get added to my "collection" but the medals are all the same, simply saying "carnival" not the ship name... So I don't know which medal came from which voyage. :(

Really, it's just a fun way to spend family time together onboard. I hope you and your son have a blast!

We will! DD11 will be there too. We took a girls cruise in August and she won a SOS in trivia. Not to be outdone by his sister, DS9 is bound and determined!

Ice cream and trophies aside, the thing I am most excited about is that my dad is meeting us in Port Canaveral and we are surprising the kids with a day at Universal Islands Of Adventure. DD is a HUGE Harry Potter fan, and she will be OVER the moon!!

We will! DD11 will be there too. We took a girls cruise in August and she won a SOS in trivia. Not to be outdone by his sister, DS9 is bound and determined!

Ice cream and trophies aside, the thing I am most excited about is that my dad is meeting us in Port Canaveral and we are surprising the kids with a day at Universal Islands Of Adventure. DD is a HUGE Harry Potter fan, and she will be OVER the moon!!

We live in Florida- Universal is one of our favorite things to do besides cruise. Islands of Adventure is a blast. The Harry Potter ride is great. They are opening a brand new part of the park soon that is all about Potter. (Diagon Alley sp?) it's really going to be awesome from what we can tell. I hope it's finished for your visit.