Your Time Dining -- what is the downside?

J_Viggy

Hi!

We are going on our first cruise and I chose Your Time Dining, because I couldn't think of any reason NOT to chose that. This way we can go eat dinner when it works for us and not be tied down to a certain time, right?

So my question is, why does anyone NOT chose this? Is there a benefit to chosing early or late that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

It's all a matter of preference. Some folks like the "Traditional" way of dining - seating / making friends with the same folks each night. Having the same wait staff. that Vs your time dining - you eat when you want. If you want a table for two or go during a peak dining time you may have to wait a bit.

That's about it really.

We only cruise with Your Time Dining!

There is no downside for us at all!

You can get a table for 2 or if you meet folks you like you can plan to meet them for dinner.

You can get the same wait staff each night or if you don't like them you can change and get a new wait staff.

You can eat when you like.

For us "traditional dining" has all the drawbacks!

For me, there is no downside to it. I like that I don't have to be on a schedule on port days and then have to hurry to get ready for dinner. I like that we are always able to get a table just for us and not share a large table with strangers. I don't care about having the same wait staff every time either, although many times with ATD I have. Only had to wait for a table a couple of times, but not for more than ten or fifteen minutes.

the only potential downside is the possibility of a wait to get seated.

You can have a private table or a table with others

You can have the same waitstaff the entire cruise or choose to change

You can time your meal to see the dancing show the waitstaff performs if you want to or you can specifically time it to miss that show if you hate that

You can eat at the exact same time every day or choose different times every day depending on whats happening.

No downside for us either...go when we want...little to no wait...get a less than intimate table for 2....but no concern there...don't care a bout who's serving, just as long as we get served..which we do!!

And oh yea...no dancing waiters!!!

Edited by bar1068

No downside, unless you like to be forced to eat with the same people (that you may or not may have anything in common with) every night, and if you like being forced to eat at the same exact time whether you're hungry or not. Also if you live for the dancing wait staff at the end of dinner, Your time dining may not be for you as their performances are tied to traditional dining times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No downside, unless you like to be forced to eat with the same people (that you may or not may have anything in common with) every night, and if you like being forced to eat at the same exact time whether you're hungry or not. Also if you live for the dancing wait staff at the end of dinner, Your time dining may not be for you as their performances are tied to traditional dining times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The dancing waiters was neat in the beginning, but now DW and I always finish and leave prior to this.

The dancing waiters was neat in the beginning, but now DW and I always finish and leave prior to this.

Dancing waiters is something I might want to see once - I think my daughter would find it amusing (she's 5). What time do they dance usually?

You may have to wait if you go there at wrong time, especially on formal night. The longest time we waited was more than an hour.

OK, that is something to keep in mind. They give you a pager or something, right? How far can you wander while you wait?

I will have platinum status on the Triumph in Mar and really want a table for 2. I am not really one for sitting with strangers. I am going to see Maitr'd immediately when on board, but didnt know which dining preference would I have a better chance of getting that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The downside to ATD is if you want a table for two, understand that you may be literally inches away from the next two top which makes it somewhat awkward. It's not really private but you're not sitting together either.

So when you select a specific time, you are able to get a more private table?

So when you select a specific time, you are able to get a more private table?

Nope...not at all. When you first board the ship....you would go to the dining room and see where your table is located. If you are sitting with other people (you will see if it is a 6,8, or 10 top). If you are not happy with this, you go to the Maitre'de (spelling) and request a table for 2. He will TRY to accommodate you

OK, that is something to keep in mind. They give you a pager or something, right? How far can you wander while you wait?

Yes, if the waiting is longer than 10 minutes (I guess), they will give you a pager. I never wandered too far. Normally I found a seat in atrium. That 1-hour+ waiting was on our first Carnival cruise. It was pretty bad. Passengers without pagers waiting in a long long line. Passengers with pagers did not leave. Passengers with flashing pagers went back. Passengers without flashing pagers also went back to the front of the line just to check how long they had to wait... Some people stated "the first and the last Carnival" and more people started defending Carnival.:p They did send an apology letter with chocolates to our cabin.:cool:

But we still use ATD if possible. Now if we see the line is too long, we just go somewhere and do something else, e.g. taking some pictures, and come back later.

We loved the your time dining option on our cruise this summer...The longest wait time we had was 15 minutes on embarkation day. We got a buzzer, went out to the lobby bar to get a drink, listened to the band and then it was time to go in.

We requested a private four top table each night, and with the exception of the first night, we never had a wait. I think we went to eat around 630 each night, so that might have impacted our experience.

I think you should definitely go for it! Plus, the flexibility of being able to go whenever you want is so nice. Downside is that you don't necessarily have the same waiter/waitress each night, but if you really click with them you can request their table the next night, just bear in mind that this might increase your chances of a long wait time.

We might be in the minority but we dont like My Time Dining. Someone said in an earlier post that you can still get the same wait staff with ATD. I am not sure this is true unless you are willing to wait quite awhile. We have asked for particular waiters and never had it happen. If their set of tables is full, you will either have to wait or sit somewhere else.

We enjoy getting to know our waiters and them getting to know us. We like the dancing waiters also and arent afraid to get up and dance with them.

If I were you, I would go ahead and try it and see if you like it. You never know. Also, the two top tables are placed way too close together so there really is no way to have a private conversations etc.

The downside to ATD is if you want a table for two, understand that you may be literally inches away from the next two top which makes it somewhat awkward. It's not really private but you're not sitting together either.

I noticed that too. As the table is small, you will sit very close to your next table stranger. Once a ship photographer was even confused and asked a gentleman taking pictures with the lady next to him. The wife across the table did not look happy:p

My experience with ATD:

PROS: *Go anytime you are ready

*Can choose to sit alone (table for 2) or with others

CONS: *Different wait staff (we tried to repeat staff - was never any room in their stations).

*One night we asked to share a table. Ended up sitting at an 8-top alone. Felt really weird.

*Can sometimes be a long wait.

*We found our service to be more hit-or-miss since the tables in any given waiter's area are at different parts of the service. I was served an appetizer 5-10 minutes before DH when we were seated alone.

*As others have said, tables for two are anything but private. A lot of the tables are along a banquette where one of you will sit on that and the other is in a chair across from you. When sliding into the banquette, you will be passing between 2 tables (or having someone doing that next to you). Tables are very close together!

Having said all of this, we have enjoyed ATD when cruising with our kids, but will not choose it when it's just the two of us - the traditional dining experience is a big part of our cruising enjoyment.

Have only experienced "My Time Dining" on NCL (or their version of it) - and that is because all of their restaurants work that way. I am sure Carnival is not exactly the same but I didn't mind anytime dining but prefer set time when available. Main reason is to be able to plan the day and know we are eating at a certain time. No issues with missing an activity. It is also nice to always have the same dining team where they will know what you like and don't like by Day 2 such as bottled or tap water, or whether you want a Diet Coke with dinner.