South America got two choices! Want your opinion

Glymcruiser

We are planning a South America cruise for this year. After looking at all the options and at our budget, two cruiselines meet our requirements and ports:NCL, which we know, and Holland America that we haven't been on.

I know the NCL Sun for having done Alaska four times on that specific ship.

What I need is to be able to compare excursions, where they port in each port (far or near the main town, NCL has a reputation of always being the furthest away at least in Europe) and how the meals compare on Holland America versus NCL.

Prices are very comparable and so are the ports we want to do!

Let's go: I really want to have your opinions:)

Thank you in advance for the help!

I don't know of any ports on the Around Cape Horn itineraries that have different docks closer or further away from the cities. Remember that these cities have a very short tourist season (other than Ushuaia which is popular among snow skiers) and limited infrastructure.

If price and most other considerations are equal I would pick the ship with fewer passengers, which would be Zaandam over Norwegian Sun. Even just a couple hundred fewer people rushing to leave the ship at the tender ports especially (Stanley, Punta Arenas, Puerto Mott) will make a big difference. Though as the ports are far more important than the ship you may want to research how many other ships are in each port each day and pick the cruise with the greater number of solo port calls.

From my one cruise each on HAL and NCL I found the menus far more appealing on HAL but their serving hours in all venues (MDR, buffet, poolside) are more limited than nearly all other cruise lines. But HAL offsets it with a much larger room service menu (for no charge) than I have seen even on more premium ships.

We've done South America with Princess, MSC and HAL. Ships do dock at different locations eg Punta Arenas, one time we docked almost in town(Princess but might have had a tender, can't remember), while another time it was at a commercial dock and there was a shuttle to the city.(HAL)

I would choose HAL, we enjoyed our cruise on the smaller Zandaam

It might be worth checking what other ships are in port on the days you are visiting.

Sandy in Spain