P&O or Thomson

For the last 8-10 years (sorry not sure how many, but its a lot) I have cruised on P&O. The last few times by myself and had great fun. I do love P&O, but I want to go over Christmas time this year and Thomson have the perfect cruise and dates. Can anyone tell me if they have been on P&O and Thomson and which one they like best. I'm sure both are fine. I think I just want to be sure Thomson are as good as P&O. I know they will be different, but hopefully both good ?

Thank you

What itinerary and dates are you thinking of and are you cruising solo?

I have cruised solo on both P&O and Thomson and will be aboard Ventura this xmas.

Based on recent experience I would say how P&O treat solo cruisers has deteriorated and, if my last cruise on Discovery was typical, Thomson have improved.

Cabin choice is more critical on Thomson and varies by ship.

I'd say consider what's more important to you personally. The quality of the ship or the atmosphere/friendliness onboard. I personally much prefer P&O's bigger newer ships but the happy atmosphere on a Thomson ship is hard to beat in my opinion. If you put a Thomson crew on a P&O ship you'd have it all! Just had an excellent week on the dream,,one of the best cruises we have done.

I'd say consider what's more important to you personally. The quality of the ship or the atmosphere/friendliness onboard. I personally much prefer P&O's bigger newer ships but the happy atmosphere on a Thomson ship is hard to beat in my opinion. If you put a Thomson crew on a P&O ship you'd have it all! Just had an excellent week on the dream,,one of the best cruises we have done.

We have only cruised once with P&O but Cappers' summary is one I would fully agree with when comparing the two. The itinerary is the first priority for us and then the best cruise ship.

Len

Edited by Len Baker

What itinerary and dates are you thinking of and are you cruising solo?

I have cruised solo on both P&O and Thomson and will be aboard Ventura this xmas.

Based on recent experience I would say how P&O treat solo cruisers has deteriorated and, if my last cruise on Discovery was typical, Thomson have improved.

Cabin choice is more critical on Thomson and varies by ship.

I found that on my last P&O cruise too. I was on Azura, I think they are better on Ventura. I'm thinking of the Caribbean at Christmas on Thomson

We have only cruised once with P&O but Cappers' summary is one I would fully agree with when comparing the two. The itinerary is the first priority for us and then the best cruise ship.

Len

I'm not too worried about the ship or the cabin, but like a nice friendly crew and lots of sunshine. thank you for the reply. I think I will risk Thomson, sounds like the people are great.

We've done a couple of European weekends with P&O and three7 dayer's with Thomson to sunnier climes so may not be best placed to give exact like for like comparison.

However, our preference is Thomson. Better entertainment, more relaxed atmosphere, friendlier staff - not that we care too much about the latter if they are on the ball.:p Main dining room food was marginally better on P&O but poor on late night buffet. Again, maybe a symptom of the weekend short break.

We've some friends who've cruised with us on P&O on Majesty this week. I'll ask them for a second opinion and report back!!

Edited by Tarquin

We've done a couple of European weekends with P&O and three7 dayer's with Thomson to sunnier climes so may not be best placed to give exact like for like comparison.

However, our preference is Thomson. Better entertainment, more relaxed atmosphere, friendlier staff - not that we care too much about the latter if they are on the ball.:p Main dining room food was marginally better on P&O but poor on late night buffet. Again, maybe a symptom of the weekend short break.

We've some friends who've cruised with us on P&O on Majesty this week. I'll ask them for a second opinion and report back!!

After a lot of cruises with P and O we tried Thomson a few years back and think they compare favourably, at least for our kind of cruise- we seek to avoid larger ships.

The Desserts on Thomson are a little disappointing.but otherwise I would say the catering is every bit as good as P and O and the speciality restaurant on Spirit a great deal better than the Marco Pierre White offering on P and O though we did like the daytime offerings of Cafe Jardin there.

Entertainment wise the Thomson teams have been enthusiastic and friendly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums