how do you avoid bugs?

We travelled the eastern Mediterranean trip on the Thomson Celebration on our first-ever cruise starting on September 29. We were aware of ship illnesses before going and sadly both contacted the sickness and diarrhea bug on separate days. We were both given injections by the ship's doctor and have recovered but were forced to miss a couple of excursions which was disappointing. We mainly eat in the restaurant but did go to the self service area a couple of times. We have not been put off and are sailing the Caribbean in January. Any tips to what we should take or do to avoid a repeat?

:)

Wash your hands at every opportunity, use the hand gel at each and every opportunity !!!

We use the Boots anti-viral foam which is also effective against bacteria. It's hard to strike a balance and not become too paranoid but sensible precautions may help to reduce your risks.

I've read that people are careful not to use handrails, push lift buttons with your knuckle rather than finger tips which you then use to pick up food, use your own cabin toilet if possible, wash hands well after using the toilet. Often on ships we've been on, they have a notice suggesting you use a hand towel to then open the external door to the toilet, they have a bin to dispose of it outside the toilet entrance - or better still, sometime hand gel dispensers are located outside the toilet.

It seems to me though it's not so much your own hygiene, over which you have some control, but the absence of hygiene apparent when observing some other passengers which can be the source of potential problems. Some people's behaviour in the self service restaurant is nothing short of appalling and so disrespectful of other passengers. And tongs are all well and good but if the person before you hasn't observed good toilet habits, then you are handling contaminated serving tools. That's why just before we begin eating we'll use the anti-viral foam to cleanse our hands. Staff do their best but for those who avoid the hand gel as they enter the buffet, then I think the only answer is to take your own steps to try to minimise risk. But with the best will in the world I think that is all you can do - try to reduce your personal risk - without it becoming an issue which would spoil your holiday.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your first cruise so much and haven't let contracting an illness put you off. Have a good next trip. :)

P.S. The Boots anti viral is available in handy handbag size dispensers but it's very much more economical after buying a small one to save it when empty then buy the larger size and decant the fluid into the small one. The large one is 200ml and costs £4.50 and the small one is 50ml and costs £2.50.

Edited by kruzseeka

I am on a chemo type drug to lower my immune system and was given a few travel tips from the hospital most of which are either obvious or already mentioned . But this is an additional one. Do not touch the remote control, as most previous sick people will have used it while being cabin bound. As soon as you arrive put it in a ziplock bag and then use it that way ;)

I am on a chemo type drug to lower my immune system and was given a few travel tips from the hospital most of which are either obvious or already mentioned . But this is an additional one. Do not touch the remote control, as most previous sick people will have used it while being cabin bound. As soon as you arrive put it in a ziplock bag and then use it that way ;)

I'm really not hyper, hyper about all this but you raise a very good point and make a very good suggestion too. I take some surface wipes and use them for the tv remote and telephone in the cabin but I like your suggestion.

Hope you are keeping well and your situation doesn't prevent you from enjoying cruising.

P.S. Another bit of advice we were given re the Caribbean was when on shore, to avoid having ice in drinks (we always ask for no ice and it doesn't cause a problem) or salad which may not have been washed as well as we would like. And not in relation to the sickness bug, but to reduce the chance of being bitten by mosquitoes (some of which are active in the daytime) or sandflies, we always use Deet too. Can't say I like it much on my skin or the smell, but after leaving a beach like a pin cushion once, we've always put on repellent. I shower as soon as I get back to the ship(!!!!) but it's worth it not to get bites, or risk picking up any insect-borne infections. We were once advised by a Dr that the suncream with repellent included isn't effective enough. We use Jungle Formula or 50% Deet.

Edited by kruzseeka

Norovirus is more common in winter and as Kruzseeker we use boots viral foam but also you must use it on the plane - you can take the small dispenser in the clear bag with other small liquids allowable. I foam the fold down tray and the arm rest do not touch the magazines etc in the seat back - paper is the biggest holder of germs especially the common cold.I always use after using the plane toilet and especially before I eat as some of your food will be eaten with your figures. Sounds excessive but so far since using it it has worked for me.

Thanks for your in-depth reply, we didn't realise there were so many hand washes until we visited Boots today. must be a good seller. Perhaps we were unlucky to fall ill on our first cruise, we had dinner with friends last night and they are regular cruisers and have never had a problem. Reading the forum it's amazing the lengths some people go to to try to protect themselves. I think we will apply common sense and keep our fingers crossed. tissues to the fore of course!

Never heard this suggestion before, and will definitely be using it in the future, thank you.

We travelled the eastern Mediterranean trip on the Thomson Celebration on our first-ever cruise starting on September 29. We were aware of ship illnesses before going and sadly both contacted the sickness and diarrhea bug on separate days. We were both given injections by the ship's doctor and have recovered but were forced to miss a couple of excursions which was disappointing. We mainly eat in the restaurant but did go to the self service area a couple of times. We have not been put off and are sailing the Caribbean in January. Any tips to what we should take or do to avoid a repeat?

:)

I take my own pen if I have to sign for anything rather than use one provided by the ship's staff.

How does the boots foam actually foam if the bottle is not pressurised :confused:

How many applications do you get from 50ml ?

It's a pump action dave and the small size can be taken through airline security too. Pretty effective in dispensing plenty to cover your hands in a couple of presses - even one suffices. It's hard to assess the number, but I carry one for us both to use and at a wild guess would be around 100. It certainly seems to last quite a while anyway.

We are just off the Spirirt last week and I did not like the new gel dispensers they were using as you actually had to push a button to get the gel to dispense rather than just sticking your hand under for an automatic dispense. Don't know if it is the same on the other ships but they just looked like the soap dispensers which were in the cabin bathroom, taped to a stand, not great.

We carry our own anti viral gel as well and take reasonable precautions eg I never use the public toilets etc.