westbound port or starboard

islandwoman

We're about to book a Ft Lauderdale to Santiago cruise on the Coral Princess that includes 4 days of Antarctica scenic cruising and one day of Cape Horn scenic cruising. We'll be booking a balcony cabin, probably on Dolphin deck 9. Would you recommend port or starboard for the best views of Antarctica? I realize that most of the rest of the time, the port side will be facing the open sea, but that doesn't matter so much.

Edited by islandwoman

I agree. For much of our trip (an expedition trip so we ventured south of the Antarctic Circle) we were in narrow passages some of which were created by amazing tabular icebergs, so you want to be out on deck.

There is little point in booking your cabin based on the view in Antarctica. The view there (wildlife, seascape and landscape) will be 360° for much of the time and you really should be out on deck to get the best out of it. Viewing from your balcony would be seriously restrictive.

• 1 month later...
As I suggested previously, the only place to be in in Antarctica is outside on deck. In terms of a cabin, low down and midships will help mitigate any rough seas (Drake Passage...).

I agree low down and midship are the premium cabins for Antarctica, as well as close to a deck you can walk around on.