Self Serve Laundry aboard Viking Ocean Ships

60andhappy

I did bring dryer sheets. They don't weigh a thing. I think you would miss it if you normally use them at home. I, also, brought Unstoppables (sp) for the washing machine.

Good to know--I'll pack dryer sheets. Nkt sure what "unstoppables" are...

We use dryer sheets at home but the laundry was fine. You are right they don't weigh anything and probably made your luggage smelled good! We, also, like Dee, didn't wait in the laundry room but I was back there 10 minutes before my laundry was scheduled to be done. Never ran across anyone who didn't show up before theirs was done and I think we did laundry 4 or 5 times.

• Like 1

We boarded the Star yesterday and even though we get laundry done did a load ourselves. We have been in Europe for a week pre boarding so didn't think it fair to put those clothes in the freebie bag. The washer and dryer are both easy to use. We went down an hour after boarding and had the laundry on deck 6 to ourselves. Had lunch after washing whilst the clothes dried. Well washed, no scent to speak of.

• 2 weeks later...
On the Star there was an iron and a board in the laundry room.

Actually two. On decks 3 thru 6. Peregrina has posted pix elsewhere in the forum. Not the ironing boards and their irons but the washers and dryers. There's a whole thread on that topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually two. On decks 3 thru 6. Peregrina has posted pix elsewhere in the forum. Not the ironing boards and their irons but the washers and dryers. There's a whole thread on that topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For photos, see page one of this thread, posts #7 and #8

• 7 months later...

Great news: on the Sky in April, there was a step stool in the laundry room! Being 5'1, I could overhand the wet laundry into the dryer, but had to rely on the kindness of strangers to be sure I got it all out, since I couldn't see the inside bottom of the dryer. They really do pay attention to comments!

Great news: on the Sky in April, there was a step stool in the laundry room! Being 5'1, I could overhand the wet laundry into the dryer, but had to rely on the kindness of strangers to be sure I got it all out, since I couldn't see the inside bottom of the dryer. They really do pay attention to comments!

Even then lingerie bags are very helpful for keeping track of the small items -- and a must if you are going to be washing stocking or tights. There was a sign on the washer that said "no stockings" on our last trip (Jan, '18 on the Star).

• 4 months later...
Only 3 washers for 900 passengers ??

No, 12. Remember, not everyone goes on a cruise to do laundry. Some use the laundry service. Some cruises are short enough that you don't have to do laundry. I've seen it busy but if you need it, there is a way to get it done.

As BruceLovesSailing wrote, there are 3 washers and dryers per launderette and there are 4 launderettes, so that would be 12 pairs of washer/dryers. We found it very easy to use the launderette, which we did twice on our recent cruise. One of the two times we had to wait for a machine, but we just set our phone and came back about ten minutes before the next machine was scheduled to be done and had no problem. I only saw one person who waited while their laundry was going. The rest of us left and came back. Nobody left their laundry after it was done. We loved having such easy access and found we could have brought about 1/3 less clothes than we did (and we travel with carry on only!).

No, 12. Remember, not everyone goes on a cruise to do laundry. Some use the laundry service. Some cruises are short enough that you don't have to do laundry. I've seen it busy but if you need it, there is a way to get it done.

And some of us do both! The big stuff gets sent out and the undies get hand done on a daily basis. It doesn't take long to do when we each do our own.

I know this isn't about shampoo, however someone mentioned how lovely it smelled. I didn't know if I needed to bring my own soap and shampoo because I am allergic to perfumes and flowery scents. What type do they have and what type of scents do they have?

Thanks for any help. I really don't want to have to bring my own .

The toiletries in the cabin are called 'Freya'. I have very sensitive skin. I use non-perfumed laundry soap and shower soap at home. My husband is also sensitive to perfumed items and he uses Aveno shampoo and body wash at home.

We have both used the Freya body wash without incident. It has little to no scent and suds up nicely. Although we both brought our own hair products, my husband did also try the shampoo and found it to be the same; barely scented. Iused the body lotion several times and dectected no scent. That is one product that will often give me hives if scented, and Freya does not.

Hope this helps.

Becki

I know this isn't about shampoo, however someone mentioned how lovely it smelled. I didn't know if I needed to bring my own soap and shampoo because I am allergic to perfumes and flowery scents. What type do they have and what type of scents do they have?

Thanks for any help. I really don't want to have to bring my own .

In a prior conversation about just this topic, someone reported they had emailed Viking about the ingredients and were sent samples in response.

Thank you for the information about the toiletries.

Actually I tried to get them to send me samples and they told me it was impossible, because they do not have it on hand.

I feel confident with the info rjscott provided.

Happy sailing !!!

Thank you for the information about the toiletries.

Actually I tried to get them to send me samples and they told me it was impossible, because they do not have it on hand.

I feel confident with the info rjscott provided.

Happy sailing !!!

They have a mild fragrance but it is not floral (which makes me sick in the stomach). Also, we wash our undies in the shampoo or body wash. DH has sensitive skin and he does not break out. But, we each have our own sensitivities and your mileage may vary.

Here are links to four photos of the ingredient lists on each container:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000093954120/media/13636212374/medium/1514669978/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000093954120/media/13636218739/medium/1514670198/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000093954120/media/13636218504/medium/1514670188/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000093954120/media/13636218324/medium/1514670181/enhance