BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:37 AM.
10,989 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
We love the Pacific Princess and would happily cruise all of our future cruises on it. We spent about 250 days over three winters on the ship, and went on it the first time with the same trepidations as others have had. No need; we loved it.

However, we will NEVER do another December TA on it. I blogged about all our Pacific Princess Cruises, but that one in particular starts here:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/...e-passage.html
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1280 days ~ 128 cruises ~ 29 ships ~ 20 years ~ 6 continents ~ 5 cruise lines
1 happy cruiser!!
My travel diary from Winters spent at sea:
Auburn, CA
3,268 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by PescadoAmarillo
We love the Pacific Princess and would happily cruise all of our future cruises on it. We spent about 250 days over three winters on the ship, and went on it the first time with the same trepidations as others have had. No need; we loved it.

However, we will NEVER do another December TA on it. I blogged about all our Pacific Princess Cruises, but that one in particular starts here:

LOL, the photo that I posted is from a 12/13 TA crossing! Although I didn't get seasick, the movement was seriously annoying.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Party Barbie Princess Elite Member

Upcoming Cruises
Grand 9/23/18 7-Day Coastal, Royal 4/20/19 7-Day Mexico, Royal 4/27/19 7-Day Mexico, Royal 5/4/19 7-Day Wine Country Coastal, Emerald 11/4/19 14-Day Trans-Atlantic, Coral 4/21/20 Panama Canal
Completed Cruises
Princess: Fair 5/90, Fair 11/92, Golden 11/93, Fair 11/94, Pacific 2/95, Regal 4/96, Star 11/96, Regal 4/99, Regal 4/00, Sea 9/00, Sun 5/01, Grand 3/02, Grand 3/03, Diamond 4/04, Star 12/04, Grand 12/05, Regal 5/06, Island 4/07, Dawn 11/07, Caribbean 1/08, Emerald 3/09, Island 5/09, Royal 4/10, Sea 9/10, Sapphire 1/11, Sapphire 5/11, Star 4/12, Crown 11/12, Star 4/13, Star 9/13, Pacific 11/13, Island 3/14, Star 6/14, Island 9/14, Island 11/14, Star 3/15, Emerald 10/15, Grand 11/15, Grand 1/16, Ruby 4/16, Ruby 9/16, Island 11/16, Grand 1/17, Grand 5/17, Grand 10/17, Sun 1/18, Diamond 2/18, Ruby 4/18, Grand 6/18
Celebrity: Galaxy 2/98, Mercury 3/98
RCCL: Nordic Prince 9/84 & 4/91, Viking Serenade 3/94
American Hawaii: Independence 9/89
Colorado
2,316 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by friend of Eeyore
Trivia twice a day, plus maybe an evening trivia on some days. Depending on region, some other cruise staff activities such as crafts, jewelry making, napkin folding. Usually a game or two (or more) of golf and ring toss. Sometimes an organized pool volleyball or other pool games. Usually a martini tasting event, and sometimes others. The usual shopping things, and perhaps some port talks
Although you may not want to lay in the sun for hours, the Pacific has a nice promenade deck with loungers. Most of hubby's day is spent here with his Kindle. 6 of our 21 Princess cruises have been on this size ship (and because of a few shorter cruises on the other ship, probably about half of our time on Princess).
A few notes about this ship: Few children, and if you have children, there's not much of a kid's club. The dancers,(but not the singers) double as cruise staff, and they do quite a few things on the ship. You'll get to know everyone quickly - you'll see your waiters in the buffet (including head waiter sometimes), you'll see the officers around the ship (including the Captain) and have some nice conversations with them. It'll take you less than 5 minutes to walk from one end of the ship to another. There's some nice places that,some people never see - make sure to check out the library. They do show movies, but they're in the theater, not MUTS.
We're booked for the next two Christmases on her. If I could afford to book more, I would in a heartbeat.
She keeps trying to get us to sail on Pacific. Didn't mention she just got back from cruise on 4800 passenger Anthem of the Seas. We hooked them on Princess and they have been doing mostly small ship (Ocean or Pacific) on holidays instead of visiting family. Pacific is more expensive than other Princess ships but actually cheaper than the monster RCI ships like Anthem. And the ship does cruise to a lot of destinations that other ships cannot get to.
Lansing Area, Michigan
1,094 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by LeeW
She keeps trying to get us to sail on Pacific. Didn't mention she just got back from cruise on 4800 passenger Anthem of the Seas. We hooked them on Princess and they have been doing mostly small ship (Ocean or Pacific) on holidays instead of visiting family. Pacific is more expensive than other Princess ships but actually cheaper than the monster RCI ships like Anthem. And the ship does cruise to a lot of destinations that other ships cannot get to.
You never know, you might like the small ship. It'd certainly be quicker to get from one end to the other than the Anthem was.
Cathy
Loveland, Colorado
1,719 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by PescadoAmarillo

I only had time to read your TA but enjoyed your writing. Sorry for the rough seas. So far, we consider that as part of the experience but, then, we have not come close to the cruises you have completed. We are looking forward to the TA this Dec.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Larry

Palmdale, Ca
35,959 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Cruising_Bill
I have been on many Princess cruises but never on a small ship. I am considering a 15 day on PP. I am a little wary as I feel I may be bored. Yes I know it is what we make it, however as I like to lay out I can’t for hours on end and without MUTS etc it made me wonder. I am 60 and not one to go to bingo or shipbuilding etc. Do they have trivia, game shows like yes/ no etc. Please no response as it’s my favorite etc I’m looking for reasons to go or pick a different cruise. Also any patters would work too. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Sorry to mention this, but it is my new favorite ship. We did the last cruise before it's dry-dock last year. II always found something to do or watch. Here is the link for my cruise which includes the patters.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/258825...57681586023563

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Sky Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 11/19
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18

Pacific Princess Panama Canal 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread

Arizona
751 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Positives
Less passengers, so you become more familiar with your shipmates and crew members
Better quality of food (less quantity to prepare probably?)
Better quality of photography- the photographers said they were not as rushed when taking pictures- if you’re planning to have pics taken- this would be the ship I’d use
Trivia several times a day
Goes to some ports that cannot accommodate the larger ships
Everything on the ship is closer walk because it’s smaller
Nicer library than most ships
Some cruises are more costly on Pacific Princess (has huge following, especially among many elite cruisers)

Negatives
Can experience more rocking if you encounter rough seas
Can feel a bit more claustrophobic due to size
Can become a bit more boring on a long cruise because less variables (we did 29 days)
Not as much variety on dining choices as larger ships (no anytime dining, no International Cafe, etc.

No kids or very few, and average age of cruiser may be older than other cruises
351 Posts
Joined Oct 2001
We booked the 12/5/2019 transatlantic a month ago to celebrate a special occasion. Many categories were already sold out. Clearly it is very popular! Can’t wait!
10,989 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by LarryL
I only had time to read your TA but enjoyed your writing. Sorry for the rough seas. So far, we consider that as part of the experience but, then, we have not come close to the cruises you have completed. We are looking forward to the TA this Dec. [emoji39
Vaya con Dios!

We are not huge fans of TAs to begin with, so that worked against us. We also had very rough seas on the cruise just before the TA, around Greece, where we sailed through 3 consecutive winter storms in about 8 days, so we were kind of over it. Let’s just say we were VERY happy to arrive in Hamilton to calm weather and sunny skies!

On a positive note, it’s become the benchmark for what constitutes rough seas in our minds. We had a bumpy crossing of the Tasman Sea around New Years this year and, while we lost some sleep, it didn’t cause us a hint of seasickness.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1280 days ~ 128 cruises ~ 29 ships ~ 20 years ~ 6 continents ~ 5 cruise lines
1 happy cruiser!!
My travel diary from Winters spent at sea:
Central Texas
5,776 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by JimnKaren
There is a 'showroom'; the Cabaret Lounge. It is not tiered and there is no appreciable raised stage. Pacific Princess dancers put on shows that are not done on other ships simply because of the layout of the venue.

There will be shows with singers and dancers; there will be 'guest' performers. All in the evening. Depending on the itinerary, there will be lectures in the Cabaret Lounge.

Again, the key word is 'intimate'. Think small, think once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Jim
We were on a 12 day Tahiti to Hawaii cruise on Pacific Princess. The shows were great, and we saw one that was like the singers were singing just to you. We saw the same show about a year later on Emerald Princess in the Princess Theater and it wasn't nearly as good (same show band, different singers).

Our cruise on the Pacific Ocean was smooth. None of the issues another poster mentioned. But one can hit bad weather anywhere - our worst was on a larger ship out of Florida where over half the passengers were sea sick.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next - Have FCC, will travel.
30 Cruises:..Caribbean (19x), Panama (3x), Mediterranean (2x), So. America, Transatlantic (2x), Europe, Alaska, Tahiti-Hawaii
Ships:...Grand Princess (6x), Caribbean Princess (6x), Emerald Princess (5x), Sun Princess (3x), Crown Princess (2x), Royal Princess (2x), Island Princess, Liberty of the Seas, Pacific Princess II, Ryndam (HAL), Sea Princess, Star Princess
Chicago
2,013 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Cruise2End
Positives
Less passengers, so you become more familiar with your shipmates and crew members
Better quality of food (less quantity to prepare probably?)
Better quality of photography- the photographers said they were not as rushed when taking pictures- if you’re planning to have pics taken- this would be the ship I’d use
Trivia several times a day
Goes to some ports that cannot accommodate the larger ships
Everything on the ship is closer walk because it’s smaller
Nicer library than most ships
Some cruises are more costly on Pacific Princess (has huge following, especially among many elite cruisers)

Negatives
Can experience more rocking if you encounter rough seas
Can feel a bit more claustrophobic due to size
Can become a bit more boring on a long cruise because less variables (we did 29 days)
Not as much variety on dining choices as larger ships (no anytime dining, no International Cafe, etc.

No kids or very few, and average age of cruiser may be older than other cruises
Fun and funny😊 Smiling to myself😊 At first, I thought that older cruisers was listed as a negative😊 I now realize that this was in a different paragraph. I am realizing that I am older each day, now. I am not criticizing, but rather it just struck me as fun, tonight. Maybe it is the hot weather. I spent several hours at the hot afternoon White Sox/ Royals game, today.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Princess ships:

(The original) Sun Princess
(The original) Island Princess
(The original) Royal Princess x4
(The original) Star Princess x2
(The original) Crown Princess
Dawn Princess
Sun Princess x3
Star Princess x3
Diamond Princess x2