Evening Music in QM2 Commodore Club Now?

MarkBearSF

I'm curious as to the type of music played in the evenings in the Commodore Club these days. On our many previous sailings, the CC was our favorite spot in the evening and we enjoyed the buzz in the room and the piano music of the standards of the American Songbook (Cole Porter, Sondheim, Johnny Mercer, musicals, jazz and pop music).

Last year, the pianists all seemed to be highly skilled of the St Petersburg academy of music, but they only played classical music. The first night, the bar was almost deserted and missing its usual fizz, but I put it down to a first-night oddity. The next evening was the same - and then I noticed the music. The third night the same. After a while, I went to the pianist and politely asked if he knew anything from "the American Songbook" which drew a blank, I then said I'd love anything by Sondheim, he gruffly replied that he didn't know who I was talking about. I left it at that with him, smiled and walked away.

I discretely asked the bartender who would be the officer in charge of the bar musicians and he gave me a name. The next day, I asked for a note card and envelope at the Purser's desk. I addressed it to the woman and mentioned that I had noticed a change in the music and that, although he was no doubt highly talented and the music was beautiful, but was more suited to an occasion like afternoon tea, and asked if there was a pianist who was more comfortable with a "smart night club" set.

I received no acknowledgement. However, the music the next evening was a marked improvement. (Not as great as I had remembered from past voyages, but definitely improved and more of the classic, not classical, tone). And, magically, there were more people spending time there. The next day, I again sent her a brief note to thank her for her attention. Again, in typical Cunard "silence is a virtue" fashion, I received no acknowledgement of that either.

The remaining day or two in the crossing were improved, both in music and bar attendance. However, on the first night on the return crossing, the Commodore Club returned to the conservatory. I didn't bother. Steve just headed to the cabin, and I'd do a "one and run."

Hoping to hear swelligant news in anticipation of our RT crossing in September.