Hilton riverside, Omni riverside, or Intercontinental?? Ideas for kids?

shellster1

I apologize in advance for asking similar questions as others, but I noticed some of the posts are a bit old.... any recent info would be appreciated!

This will be my first time in NO. I'll be with my 10-year-old son. We'll be spending a couple days in town before our cruise, as well as afterward.

These 2 Riverside hotels look walkable to the CCL port. Is this the case? The Intercontinental looks really nice, and closer to the French Quarter. Would this be a good choice?

We don't have any tours planned yet. I'm thinking of a steamboat dinner/historical cruise, maybe a plantation tour, and perhaps going to see the old cemeteries. Even though the little guy is 10, he loves nice restaurants and jazz music. Obviously, I will not be taking him to any bars, but can anyone recommend a fun restaurant that plays jazz?

We're excited to visit the city. He's learning about the southern states in school. It would be great to show him some cool sites. Any ideas would be appreciated!!

I love Hilton Riverside and Intercontinental. I've stayed at both many times. I haven't stayed at Omni Riverfront but it looks really nice and it would be a fairly easy walk to the port. I would pick Hilton Riverside. Not only are you connected to the mall where you can walk to the port...but you also have a good seafood restaurant in the hotel and streetcar stop right outside. Get streetcar passes and you can go all over. Also the riverwalk is right outside. The aquarium is there.. and the Steamboat Natchez is a short streetcar ride or walk up the riverwalk. They have jazz cruises. I would definitely consider the National WWII museum. I think I heard it was recently named the #3 museum in the country. Plan for a minimum of 3-5 hours if you do go there.

We usually stay in the Quarter or just outside so can't really comment on either of those hotels but in terms of restaurant with jazz Arnaud's Jazz Bistro is a great choice. It's attached to the famous old restaurant and they have live jazz nightly. You could also bring him to Preservation Hall in the Quarter- no bar and lively Dixieland jazz but the crowd will get livelier as the night drags on- very tame early on. The Davenport Lounge at the Ritz Carlton has live music as well- it is a bar but it has a very large lounge section away from it and well behaved children aren't uncommon.

• 2 months later...

I would vote for Hilton Riverside. I took my daughter there a couple of years ago when she was 10. We rode the trolley to the St. Louis Cathedral and stopped at Cafe Du Monde on our way back to the Trolley. We also did a free Garden District/Cemetery tour. You just tip them what you feel they deserve. There are some neat places to eat in that area of town. Two Chicks cafe for breakfast/lunch and Cochon Butcher for lunch. For a fancy dinner we went to Muriel's at Jackson Square. Looking forward to going back there for a few days before our cruise in March :)