Getting around NO without a car

GWAE

We are cruising on 04/12/15 and flying in the morning of 04/11. I booked our hotel on hotwire at Country Inn and Suites on Magazine street.

By a map it seems like it is very walkable to everything. Am I correct in that? So I have a few questions.

1. We are cruising with NCL, if the map is correct it says it is 1.2 miles. Is this a walkable area? It looks like it goes on a riverwalk so I assume it would be concrete of some sort so rolling 2 bags shouldn't be a problem.

2. We want to visit the French Quarter tourist area. On a map the FQ is a large section. Is the actual popular tourist area close to our hotel or is it on the other end?

3. My biggest concern is getting to the hotel from the airport. I just did a taxi estimator and it came up with $48 to cab to the hotel. What other options are there to get to the hotel?

We are cruising on 04/12/15 and flying in the morning of 04/11. I booked our hotel on hotwire at Country Inn and Suites on Magazine street.

By a map it seems like it is very walkable to everything. Am I correct in that? So I have a few questions.

1. We are cruising with NCL, if the map is correct it says it is 1.2 miles. Is this a walkable area? It looks like it goes on a riverwalk so I assume it would be concrete of some sort so rolling 2 bags shouldn't be a problem.

2. We want to visit the French Quarter tourist area. On a map the FQ is a large section. Is the actual popular tourist area close to our hotel or is it on the other end?

3. My biggest concern is getting to the hotel from the airport. I just did a taxi estimator and it came up with $48 to cab to the hotel. What other options are there to get to the hotel?

Someone else would have to help you with the airport thing. I've never flown into New Orleans but I drive down and stay downtown frequently. Country Inn and Suites is nice with one of the better free breakfasts in town. I'm used to walking a lot in New Orleans so walking a mile isn't a big deal to me. It may be for others though. Personally, I would walk a couple blocks up to Canal. Then walk up Decatur. You want to see Jackson Square which is about 8 blocks from you. Have beignets at Café Du Monde which is near Jackson Square and continue walking up to the French Market. If you want less walking you can walk up to Canal and take a right or down to Poydras and take a left you'll come to Hilton Riverside near the river. There's a streetcar station there that will take you to the Jackson Square/French Market area. If you take that same street car the other direction it will take you closer to the port. Street cars are $1.25/ride. If you're going to take it more than twice in a day buy a Jazzy pass for $3.00. That gives you unlimited bus/streetcar rides until 4am the next day.

This map shows it all pretty good:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/French+Quarter,+New+Orleans,+LA/@29.9553862,-90.0618394,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8620a611ec349e7f:0x98bd3bbdbdb2223a

Edited by Saint Greg

Thank you for the info, I will keep those items in mind. So I take it the entire FQ is basically the tourist area? For some reason I always assumed that it was just basically 1 street and the rest was just town. Like Bealle street in Memphis.

Cab from the airport to downtown is a fixed rate. Something like a flat $35 for two. Most cabs can only handle two with luggage, some might take three.

I would not plan on walking to the ship. With luggage is is a hike. You can now go to the Riverwalk as it is reopened. But it is a hike. What about the weather, will it rain, be hot, be cold? Cab is again a flat rate from the hotel to pier, about $9 or 10 for two and well worth it. French Quarter is an area, with much to do, make sure you get to Jackson Square.

• 3 years later...
Thank you for the info, I will keep those items in mind. So I take it the entire FQ is basically the tourist area? For some reason I always assumed that it was just basically 1 street and the rest was just town. Like Bealle street in Memphis.

The French Quarter is perhaps half of the tourist area of the city. The Garden District the cemeteries Battery Street Julia Street are all in other areas