BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:11 AM.
6 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Is there anyone who has had experience getting a prescription snorkeling mask with correction for strabismus? In addition to nearsightedness and astigmatism, I also have minor exotropia, so my regular glasses have prism to correct for that. I have a hard enough time getting my glasses done, so I feel concerned about dropping this much cash to buy a snorkeling mask that may not work.

I hate wearing contact lenses, and for the $ money I would have to spend to be fitted and buy lenses that I would throw away after using, I would rather buy a mask that I can use again in the future. Helmet diving does look interesting, but also expensive (and then my husband would also have to pay extra) and limited in where you can do it.
Scotland
18 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by Dancingwithwolves
Is there anyone who has had experience getting a prescription snorkeling mask with correction for strabismus? In addition to nearsightedness and astigmatism, I also have minor exotropia, so my regular glasses have prism to correct for that. I have a hard enough time getting my glasses done, so I feel concerned about dropping this much cash to buy a snorkeling mask that may not work.

I hate wearing contact lenses, and for the $ money I would have to spend to be fitted and buy lenses that I would throw away after using, I would rather buy a mask that I can use again in the future. Helmet diving does look interesting, but also expensive (and then my husband would also have to pay extra) and limited in where you can do it.

I have just received my prescription mask for my upcoming cruise in April. I am +3.5 in left and 5.5 in right and it works a treat. Looking forward to using it. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
North Texas
1,039 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Dancingwithwolves

I had one back in the late 60s and it worked well. Sorry, but I do not remember the name of the company it came from (and they are probably out of business by now anyway!). I would talk to a couple of dive shops in your area. I bet they could give you recommendations.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thirty-one Cruises Completed. (AMH, Azamara, Celebrity, Disney, HAL, Oceania, Princess, Royal, Uniworld)

Pending Cruises
2019 - Tulips (Belgium & Netherlands): Uniworld River Princess
New Hartford, NY
466 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I fell some 20 feet off a ladder while cutting dead limbs out of a tree behind our house in 2004. Ended up with double vision.
Was able to buy a really good fitting mask (Genesis) at a really good dive shop nearby and had them send it out to a place that fits prescriptions with prisms. I'm near sighted and have total of -9 prism (split half in each lens). See as well with them as with my glasses.
Will be snorkeling again on Southern Caribbean cruise at the end of this month.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mr. Manhattan
Toronto Canada
1,472 Posts
Joined May 2010
My husband used a prescription mask for years ( they give lenses close as they can to you script, not always exact). He now has switched over to regular mask with contacts. This happened on a cruise as he forgot he had his lenses on one snorkel tour and they gave him a regular mask, he enjoyed it with better vision.
6 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Thought I'd give an update in case anyone else who needs prism has the same question one day. I ended up ordering the Seavision Ultra with custom ground lenses directly from the manufacturer, and I'm very pleased with the results. Considering that even when I get regular glasses made they often have to redo the lenses at last once to get them just right, I was impressed at how spot on the prescription in this mask was. Haven't used it underwater yet, so I can't comment on that part.