48 hours in NOLA

mompells

I totally agree with Tom Fitzmorris' guide to restaurants. https://nomenu.com and agree with his recommendations. Also, when choosing a restaurant location, "CBD" means Central Business District and is mostly walkable from the French Quarter. "Downtown" has a different meaning in NOLA. "Uptown" can be walkable from the streetcar and is where you'll find Commander's Palace. Galatoire's and Antoine's in the French Quarter are old world dining experiences and memorable. I, too, am from New Orleans.

I live in NOLA, I'm happy to email you a list of "not to miss" that I send to friends coming here for the first time. Plantations, swamp tours, French quarter, and D-Day museum are definitely top contenders.

Too many great restaurants to list! Happy to send you that email if you'd like.

-Alaina

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can I get a copy of ur restaurant list? We r celebrating my 50th bday. melcda@charter.net

• 2 weeks later...
I live in NOLA, I'm happy to email you a list of "not to miss" that I send to friends coming here for the first time. Plantations, swamp tours, French quarter, and D-Day museum are definitely top contenders.

-Alaina

Could you email me a copy of your list? timdogg@hotmail.com Thank you so much!:)

Hi, thanks for offering some advice. Do you (or anyone else on here) have any ideas on any tours that would allow us to bring our luggage after the cruise? Or any kind of storage place for the day? Our flight home isn't until after 7 pm.

My email is mvaygibson@aol.com. Thank you very much!

Hi, we just got off Carnival Dream on Sunday. There is a good luggage depository at the Erato StreetTerminal.

As for getting around, it's very easy to see the major sites by yourself. Indeed, I've just published my review on how to do the more popular ones. Here's the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/12/29/one-way-to-do-new-orleans-part-1/

There are over 50 photographs to help guide you including a map...

38031273044_1ced905dfc_z.jpg

As for getting around, it's very easy to see the major sites by yourself. Indeed, I've just published my review on how to do the more popular ones. Here's the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/12/29/one-way-to-do-new-orleans-part-1/

Thanks Richard! Quite a thorough review and lots of good suggestions!

-Alaina

I would like a copy of your list. ladjenkins@embarqmail.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Please let me know what you think is the best restaurant(s) in NOLA! We get free breakfast at our hotel. We will be using the trolley to get around.

Also - Any advice on "Things not to miss?" This will be our first time to NOLA.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Happy Hour Oysters and cocktails at Superior Seafood is a MUST!!! The street will take you right there from Canal street.

• 2 weeks later...

-Alaina

Hello Alaina, if you are still doing this I would love to see your "not to miss" list. Thank you! coryrothrock@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

-Alaina

I'm not seeing any where with your email address. I have mine in my profile, I think. We will be taking a cruise with our adult sons and their wife/fiance', friend. There will be at least 8 of us. We will be flying in two nights before cruise. Can you please send me some not to miss spots? Probably not anything super expensive or fancy and no sea food. I am allergic and we just tend to stay away.

thanks!

sorry, i did not see that so many people already asked (and why wouldn't they!) familyoutdoors@Comcast.net

I'm not seeing any where with your email address. I have mine in my profile, I think. We will be taking a cruise with our adult sons and their wife/fiance', friend. There will be at least 8 of us. We will be flying in two nights before cruise. Can you please send me some not to miss spots? Probably not anything super expensive or fancy and no sea food. I am allergic and we just tend to stay away.

thanks!

sorry, i did not see that so many people already asked (and why wouldn't they!) familyoutdoors@Comcast.net

I'm not sure that the poster ever came back and sent out this information. I know I never received an email....

There are tons of great restaurants all over. Most post menus outside, so you can judge food and prices. For some of the fancier places, you may consider lunch rather than dinner for slightly less money.

But overall, prices are pretty high (and I come from Seattle, where the cost of living is high!)

Some less expensive choices are beignets at Café Du Monde. There is a line, but it moves pretty fast. (it was about $15 for the two of us to have two orders of beignets, a large coffee and a hot chocolate. Sharing the beignets and having a small drink would bring the cost down.

A muffuletta at Central Grocery is a must do! DH and I shared one, and I'll bet it could easily serve 4! They have limited counter space, so you can take your sandwiches and have a picnic in the nearby park on a nice day.

A fair number of the dishes have seafood, but there are plenty of non-seafood choices. As a vegetarian, I had a hard time because a lot of the seafood dishes have sausage or are meat based stocks.

For site seeing, there are 2 National Park sites in town that are free or cheap, both have daily programs. There are a ton of walking tours also, catering to whatever your interests are (voodoo, ghost, history...)

Have a great trip!

Thank you. Your reply is much appreciated.

I'm not sure that the poster ever came back and sent out this information. I know I never received an email....

There are tons of great restaurants all over. Most post menus outside, so you can judge food and prices. For some of the fancier places, you may consider lunch rather than dinner for slightly less money.

But overall, prices are pretty high (and I come from Seattle, where the cost of living is high!)

Some less expensive choices are beignets at Café Du Monde. There is a line, but it moves pretty fast. (it was about $15 for the two of us to have two orders of beignets, a large coffee and a hot chocolate. Sharing the beignets and having a small drink would bring the cost down.

A muffuletta at Central Grocery is a must do! DH and I shared one, and I'll bet it could easily serve 4! They have limited counter space, so you can take your sandwiches and have a picnic in the nearby park on a nice day.

A fair number of the dishes have seafood, but there are plenty of non-seafood choices. As a vegetarian, I had a hard time because a lot of the seafood dishes have sausage or are meat based stocks.

For site seeing, there are 2 National Park sites in town that are free or cheap, both have daily programs. There are a ton of walking tours also, catering to whatever your interests are (voodoo, ghost, history...)

Have a great trip!

• 3 weeks later...

-Alaina

hello we would love any guidance as im in an electric wchair.

Our ship (EQUINOX) will be parked for 3 days in NO would love to do a cemetery tour and whatever else we can get to. every tour ive checked online does NOT accommodate electric wchairs only folding push chairs my wife cant push me .

what can we see ...do.. wheeling from the ship.

thank you

tzinck@cogeco.ca

hello we would love any guidance as im in an electric wchair.

Our ship (EQUINOX) will be parked for 3 days in NO would love to do a cemetery tour and whatever else we can get to. every tour ive checked online does NOT accommodate electric wchairs only folding push chairs my wife cant push me .

what can we see ...do.. wheeling from the ship.

thank you

tzinck@cogeco.ca

Sorry, I don't have any specific advise. The streets and sidewalks are fairly uneven, so New Orleans doesn't strike me as very disabled-friendly. There is a lovely park near the cruise ships that has a lot going on and has nice sidewalks.

The cemeteries are very "crowded" so I can see that it would be difficult with an electric wheelchair. It was tough getting around on two feet. It looks like motorized equipment might not be allowed by the Archdiocese.

There is a board on CC for disabled cruising. I've not looked there, but someone might have some good advice for you.