NOLA Newbie-Hotel 3 nights precruise

sunlover2

DH and I have been on quite a few cruises but never out of New Orleans....also first time in New Orleans. We are looking for a hotel for 3 nights, Feb 20-23, 2019. We will be taking a taxi to the port. I have read that we should try to stay on the cruise ship terminal side. No idea where that is We also want to be within walking distance of French Quarters area. Help....trying to find a hotel or at least an area to stay. Thanks so much!!

You've framed up a pretty broad question, it's kind of difficult to make recommendations without knowing your budget and other particulars. Assuming you will not be driving, and thus do not need parking. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of hotels between the French Quarter and the port. If you want to stay near the cruise terminal then look for hotels in the Convention Center/Warehouse District.

"Within walking distance" is also a bit subjective. It's about a mile from the Convention Center to the nearest edge of the French Quarter, then about another 1.5 miles to the far side of the quarter (US Mint, French Market,etc.). If that's walking distance to you then Convention Center area would be within walking distance to you AND near the cruise terminal. You can do a lot of walking in New Orleans. Not sure if you count steps but we just spent four days in NO playing tourist, and we walked at least 25,000 steps every one of those days. We also rode a lot on the streetcars as well, and Uber a couple of times.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Carondelet which is in the CBD between the FQ and the Warehouse District, s a good geographical compromise to use. Great hotel, excellent service, complimentary hot breakfast, yada yada.

Anyway, if you want to get a little more specific I'm sure we can find you some recommendations.

Oh I also wanted to mention that Mardi Gras is on March 5, so the dates you mentioned are at the height of the Carnival/parade season. Whatever you thought you were going to pay, maybe double that.:cool:

Edited by dsotm73

You are so right...I was to vague. Normally we would stay at a Marriott/Hilton, corporate like hotel mostly because of points we have. We are not opposed to staying there this time although what's most important is location and getting a real feel for NO as there is so much history there. Prices are all high but hoping not to go above $300-350 per night. Also liking Hilton Riverside, Marriott New Orleans, JW Marriott and Omni Royal Orleans. Are the last 3 nicely located? Thanks so much!

You are so right...I was to vague. Normally we would stay at a Marriott/Hilton, corporate like hotel mostly because of points we have. We are not opposed to staying there this time although what's most important is location and getting a real feel for NO as there is so much history there. Prices are all high but hoping not to go above $300-350 per night. Also liking Hilton Riverside, Marriott New Orleans, JW Marriott and Omni Royal Orleans. Are the last 3 nicely located? Thanks so much!

Yes all are conveniently located to the FQ, maybe a little further from the port, but easy to reach the port by Uber or taxi.

The Marriott is on Canal Street at the edge of the FQ. JW Marriott is a block off of Canal on the CBD side, Omni Royal is in the FQ itself. All are within a ~6-8 block area. Hilton Riverside is also nice and convenient, you could actually walk to the cruise terminal (with some effort) through the Riverwalk Mall that connects to the Hilton.

• 4 weeks later...