Hotels?

parttimr

The airport is about 12 miles from downtown. A lot of cruisers stay at hotels outside of downtown that offer shuttles and allow you to park there during your cruise. You can read about some of those here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2149088

My personal opinion is I want to stay downtown/French quarter when I'm in New Orleans. I book on hotwire and get great deals but it's prepaid and non-refundable. I usually stay in a 4* hotel and pay about $100 plus $25-35 for parking. I would move my vehicle to fulton parking garage during the cruise where you can park for as little as $8/day on the roof.

http://neworleansparking.com/default.asp

If you go the hotwire route and need help figuring out what your hotel is going to be or need advice on a downtown French/Quarter hotel, let me know. I've stayed in probably 30 of them. I stayed at Hyatt Regency 8 times last year. It was the 4* downtown/superdome option on hotwire.

Hilton Riverside is a great location and near the Port.....you can walk thru the mall attached to this hotel and then just take the elevator down to the ship....NCL and I think RCCL are docked there...

Hotwire has it for $77 a night for September....just got it.....it is listed as 4 star French Quarter/Mississippi River.......great deal...excellent hotel.

Edited by macaroni

• 1 month later...
Hilton Riverside is a great location and near the Port.....you can walk thru the mall attached to this hotel and then just take the elevator down to the ship....NCL and I think RCCL are docked there...

Hotwire has it for $77 a night for September....just got it.....it is listed as 4 star French Quarter/Mississippi River.......great deal...excellent hotel.

How much for parking did they charge you after you arrived? thank you:)

The airport is about 12 miles from downtown. A lot of cruisers stay at hotels outside of downtown that offer shuttles and allow you to park there during your cruise. You can read about some of those here:

My personal opinion is I want to stay downtown/French quarter when I'm in New Orleans. I book on hotwire and get great deals but it's prepaid and non-refundable. I usually stay in a 4* hotel and pay about $100 plus $25-35 for parking. I would move my vehicle to fulton parking garage during the cruise where you can park for as little as $8/day on the roof.

If you go the hotwire route and need help figuring out what your hotel is going to be or need advice on a downtown French/Quarter hotel, let me know. I've stayed in probably 30 of them. I stayed at Hyatt Regency 8 times last year. It was the 4* downtown/superdome option on hotwire.

My wife, 2yo & I are going on the Carnival Dream in May...arriving the day before and staying in NOLA for 2 nights after our cruise. We'd like to stay in the French Quarter area after the cruise, looking at the Omni Royal Orleans. Let me know if you have any other recommendations.

Also wanted to stay at a different hotel when we arrive on Saturday afternoon before our cruise. Please let me know if you have any other recommendations. We're not renting a car, so can grab a taxi to the port or hopefully the hotel has a shuttle service. Thank you!

My wife, 2yo & I are going on the Carnival Dream in May...arriving the day before and staying in NOLA for 2 nights after our cruise. We'd like to stay in the French Quarter area after the cruise, looking at the Omni Royal Orleans. Let me know if you have any other recommendations.

Also wanted to stay at a different hotel when we arrive on Saturday afternoon before our cruise. Please let me know if you have any other recommendations. We're not renting a car, so can grab a taxi to the port or hopefully the hotel has a shuttle service. Thank you!

I stayed at the Omni once about five years ago. It's a great location if you're looking to stay in the French Quarter. I love the rooftop pool and bar. They have an observation tower up there as well. If you're sitting at the rooftop bar, St. Louis Cathedral is right there. My only complaint about the Omni was I didn't think the bed was that comfortable. I've found that's the case with a lot of the boutique hotels. But as far as location, Jackson Square is right behind it. If you want some of the best food in New Orleans, Antoine's is a block away.

http://www.antoines.com/

Kitty-corner from the hotel is Pierre Maspero's which is a good cheaper option.

http://www.originalpierremasperos.com/

About a block further down St. Louis is some of the better po boys in the quarter, Johnny's Po Boys

http://johnnyspoboys.com/

My favorite french quarter hotel is hotel monteleone

http://hotelmonteleone.com/

For staying close to the port I would recommend Hilton Riverside. Drago's Seafood is in the hotel. They have awesome Charbroiled Oysters. Harrah's is across the street if that's your thing. Gordon Biersch Brewing is across the street. The Aquarium and Riverwalk Mall are right there. And there's a street car stop by the hotel you can take down to the French Quarter for $1.25/person (need exact change or buy a pass for $3/day).

http://www.hiltonneworleansriverside.com/

I don't know if any of the hotels down there have shuttle service. But if you're at riverside it would be a very short cab ride.

Have you stayed in the Astor Crowne Plaza? I did the hotwire option a while back and ended up there and now reading reviews, I'm concerned. Its hard to tell if its a bad hotel or just not what people expect from a 4 star hotel.

Thanks!

We're booked at Hotel Monteleone. Not through Priceline though. We're paying $226+. Tell me why it's your favorite and where you like to eat around there and what you like to do around the Hotel Monteleone. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't be traveling for almost a year and a half. Would it be all right to keep you in mind for then? Is there a way to PM you?/me

The hotels in NOLA are expensive! I just booked for next March 31 for three nights but I ended up renting a vacation home. Much cheaper. I was looking at the hotels and alot of them were booked already :confused:. Not sure what's going on.

The house I rented is a 3 bedroom home located on the Algiers side of the river. A short 4 block walk to the ferry, 5 minute ride across and almost right in the French quarter. This house cost 575.00 for all three nights! :D

That's an awesome deal!!!

If anyone is looking I found it on VRBO, make sure you call the landlord before sending the money and all is good! Used VRBO many times now with no issues.

Good Luck and I hope I save some people some money!!

Enjoy your cruise!!

I won't be traveling for almost a year and a half. Would it be all right to keep you in mind for then? Is there a way to PM you?/me

Sure. I'm booking for football season now and finding good deals on Hilton Riverside as late as the end of December. The 4* French Quarter/Mississippi River with 90% recommendation right now on Hotwire is Hilton Riverside. I'm getting it as low as $75 through my December trips.

Edited by Saint Greg

Have you stayed in the Astor Crowne Plaza? I did the hotwire option a while back and ended up there and now reading reviews, I'm concerned. Its hard to tell if its a bad hotel or just not what people expect from a 4 star hotel.

Thanks!

I haven't stayed at that one yet. I'm sure I will at some point because I know it's been popping up on Hotwire as a 4* French quarter/bourbon street recently. The location is outstanding...at the corner of Canal/Bourbon.

Edited by Saint Greg

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I stayed at the Intercontinental and Hilton Riverside about 3 yrs ago they were both very nice. I did just get the Hilton Riverside for Aug 22-23 for 80 a night and Aug 30 - Sept 1 for 76. a night on Hotwire. The location is perfect.

4* New Orleans (French Quarter - Mississippi River)

The only time I used hotwire I had great success in Atlanta, but for some reasons I am nervous about doing so in NOLA. I would love 4* in the Quarter and the prices on hotwire seem too good to be true - but in your humble opinion I should go for it? *bites nails* =)

The only time I used hotwire I had great success in Atlanta, but for some reasons I am nervous about doing so in NOLA. I would love 4* in the Quarter and the prices on hotwire seem too good to be true - but in your humble opinion I should go for it? *bites nails* =)

You're good if you book 4* and up in NOLA on hotwire. It's pretty much all I use. If you do the French Quarter -mississippi river location at 4* it's probably hilton riverside. It could be hotel New Orleans downtown (formerly W). If you want to be closer to bourbon street do the French Quarter - Bourbon Street. At 4* it's probably Astor Crown Plaza right now. Two years ago I got Monteleone. At 4.5 stars for French Quarter bourbon it's probably Sheraton on Canal. Two years ago I was getting Royal Sonesta on Bourbon street with that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone done a bid on Priceline? I haven't used it in quite a few years, but I used to get some nice hotels at great prices.

We'll be in New Orleans post-cruise near the end of Oct. Is this a busy time for there? Never been there before, but hoping to see a lot in 2-3 days.:eek:

Has anyone done a bid on Priceline? I haven't used it in quite a few years, but I used to get some nice hotels at great prices.

We'll be in New Orleans post-cruise near the end of Oct. Is this a busy time for there? Never been there before, but hoping to see a lot in 2-3 days.:eek:

I've used priceline but I really haven't in about 5 years. I've just had better luck with hotwire. I usually need 2 bed rooms and hotwire usually books you in a 2 bed room. priceline (when I used it) usually booked you in a 1 bed room. It's easier to switch from a 2 bed room to a 1 bed room than it is the other way around. Then I've had some bad rooms with priceline. I forget the hotel but one time they put us in a room the size of a closet...with 1 bed...we had to get a rollaway bed and the room was so small you couldn't walk to to the bathroom with the rollaway bed in there. Then I had a time at Bourbon Orleans where they put me at the very end of a hall they were doing construction on....so I had to wakeup to drills and hammers.

In October if it's the weekend of a Saints home game there will be a lot of people there. If there's a convention in town there will be a lot of people there and hotel prices will be high. If you go on hotwire and the cheapest hotel is $200...there's probably a convention in town that week.