First time in NOLA, need advice

vallierjenn

Hi, I have been doing research on these threads but it has made me even more unsure what to do. So maybe some of you can help? I booked a cruise on Carnival Dream for June 2018. We are driving from Ohio (we enjoy road trips and usually it's cheaper). Cruise leaves on Sunday and I plan on arriving in NOLA the day before. So we only need a hotel for a night. It's myself and two teens age 12 & 16 at that time. I have no clue where to stay. Stay near the river or closer to the French Quarter? Get a hotel that includes parking for the week of my cruise and deal with taxis or park my car at Fulton? I don't even know what my kids would like to do in NOLA for the one evening we are there! Lol! What to do what to do? Oh, and one last thing, how far out should you book a hotel? When I do a search right now many of them come up as no rooms available. I assume that is because a year in advance is too far and not because they are really booked? Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

I would stay at one of the hotels on convention center Blvd near the cruise terminal, park at Fulton garage. Then you can take the kids to the aquarium. It's within walking distance. There is also the insecterium which is kind of cool for the kids

Sent from my SM-T357T using Forums mobile app

not sure why people do cruises in june given the heat. The WW2 museum would be good as it has AC. Give yourself time for some stops on the river road. Vicksburg battle field, plantations and Natchez. https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/louisiana/riverroad.htm Cant imagine how to add any more NOLA recommendations than are already listed. A day in the quarter would be a good intro to NOLA.

Edited by geeko1

not sure why people do cruises in june given the heat. The WW2 museum would be good as it has AC. Give yourself time for some stops on the river road. Vicksburg battle field, plantations and Natchez. https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/louisiana/riverroad.htm Cant imagine how to add any more NOLA recommendations than are already listed. A day in the quarter would be a good intro to NOLA.

With my work schedule and kids in school summer is the only time to go. I work retail so from the end of October to the January 1st is blacked out for taking any vacation time. That leaves spring break as the only other week to do a vacation. Where I live my kids don't get a full week off for spring break. To take them out of school is hard now also with them in Jr. High and High School. So if we want to vacation then summer time it is!😀

With my work schedule and kids in school summer is the only time to go. I work retail so from the end of October to the January 1st is blacked out for taking any vacation time. That leaves spring break as the only other week to do a vacation. Where I live my kids don't get a full week off for spring break. To take them out of school is hard now also with them in Jr. High and High School. So if we want to vacation then summer time it is!😀

reality does bite sometimes. You want only two things in NOLA in summer. A place to go with AC like the WW2 museum and a hotel pool for the kids.

Holiday Inn New Orleans Westbank

The link above is a video on the Holiday Inn New Orleans Westbank (located in Gretna, Louisiana) that deals with their deal with their deal they have for people going on a cruise and the deal they have. Most of the Holiday Inn in the New Orleans area has this deal but some of them do not have it on their web-site (I know the Holiday Inn located near the Superdome, you have to call to get the deal). Some Holiday Inn Hotels have the deal on their web-site.

Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center:

This is the Facebook post the Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center posted on their Facebook page "Did you know we're the closest hotel to the Port of New Orleans cruise terminal? We also offer a FREE shuttle to/from the port and discounted parking while you're on the cruise.

If you're planning a Carnival Cruise Line vacation be sure to check out our cruise package: Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans-Convention Center Cruise Package

Holiday Inn New Orleans Westbank

The link above is a video on the Holiday Inn New Orleans Westbank (located in Gretna, Louisiana) that deals with their deal with their deal they have for people going on a cruise and the deal they have. Most of the Holiday Inn in the New Orleans area has this deal but some of them do not have it on their web-site (I know the Holiday Inn located near the Superdome, you have to call to get the deal). Some Holiday Inn Hotels have the deal on their web-site.

Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center:

This is the Facebook post the Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center posted on their Facebook page "Did you know we're the closest hotel to the Port of New Orleans cruise terminal? We also offer a FREE shuttle to/from the port and discounted parking while you're on the cruise.

If you're planning a Carnival Cruise Line vacation be sure to check out our cruise package: Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans-Convention Center Cruise Package

Thanks for the recommendations! I went ahead and booked the Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center. All the reviews looked really good, pics looked nice, price was similar to what I was aiming for, parking is still cheaper then at the port and they shuttle you to and from the port. So thank you!

Good choice for hotel. There's an outlet mall in the shopping center next to river and Hilton Hotel. Hampton Inn may have a shuttle that would take you to the entrance of the mall. It's a nice cool place and has great view areas to see the river. From there it's about a 2 block walk to get to the streetcar that goes to French Quarter. There are nice places to walk around if you get off at Jackson Square and a riverboat that takes you on a cruise around the waterfront. Leave your car parked as much as possible since parking is very tight in French Quarter and areas between the Hampton Inn and French Quarter. Make sure you have GPS to get to the Hampton Inn since the highway you take to get to that area is raised and can be very confusing to know where to get off. There are one way streets around the Hampton Inn. Check out this website for things to do and how to make reservations for the harbor cruise. Sometimes you'll find discount coupons on that website. www.neworleansonline.com/

Prior to Paul Prudhomme the best NOLA restaurants all had chefs from France. Paul started the eat local movement in the 70's which is the basis for most all food in NOLA today. Paul has passed but his restaurant and ideas continues. K-Pauls Louisiana Kitchen is at the heart of it all, it is in the quarter. http://www.kpauls.com/

Prior to Paul Prudhomme the best NOLA restaurants all had chefs from France. Paul started the eat local movement in the 70's which is the basis for most all food in NOLA today. Paul has passed but his restaurant and ideas continues. K-Pauls Louisiana Kitchen is at the heart of it all, it is in the quarter. http://www.kpauls.com/

Paul brought Cajun cooking to New Orleans. After 40 years, the New Orleans restaurants are still trying to catch up to the quality of restaurants in Cajun Country.

• 5 months later...
With my work schedule and kids in school summer is the only time to go. I work retail so from the end of October to the January 1st is blacked out for taking any vacation time. That leaves spring break as the only other week to do a vacation. Where I live my kids don't get a full week off for spring break. To take them out of school is hard now also with them in Jr. High and High School. So if we want to vacation then summer time it is![emoji3]

Do you work at Sams competitor?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I have been doing research on these threads but it has made me even more unsure what to do. So maybe some of you can help? I booked a cruise on Carnival Dream for June 2018. We are driving from Ohio (we enjoy road trips and usually it's cheaper). Cruise leaves on Sunday and I plan on arriving in NOLA the day before. So we only need a hotel for a night. It's myself and two teens age 12 & 16 at that time. I have no clue where to stay. Stay near the river or closer to the French Quarter? Get a hotel that includes parking for the week of my cruise and deal with taxis or park my car at Fulton? I don't even know what my kids would like to do in NOLA for the one evening we are there! Lol! What to do what to do? Oh, and one last thing, how far out should you book a hotel? When I do a search right now many of them come up as no rooms available. I assume that is because a year in advance is too far and not because they are really booked? Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

HI, we are going on the Dream June 3 also, we will be with the square dance group. I am getting started with looking for hotels and airfare!!! Have you joined the roll call??

Take a look at this review of mine, it may help in your plans...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/12/29/one-way-to-do-new-orleans-part-1/

38031273044_1ced905dfc_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
HI, we are going on the Dream June 3 also, we will be with the square dance group. I am getting started with looking for hotels and airfare!!! Have you joined the roll call??

Hi, I think I joined the roll call. Lol. I’ll have to look. I’ve joined the one I found on Facebook for sure. Did you find a hotel or still looking?